The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Default What does sycamore sound like?

I saw some gorgeous sycamore in a luthier's wood stash. I believe it's in the maple family. What does it sound like?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM

I've only played a few acoustics where sycamore was used in lieu of maple on budget instruments. Sounded like maple to me.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

FWIW American sycamore is in the family Platanaceae and maple is of the family Aceraceae...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I believe what Brits refer to as sycamore is a species of maple.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 AM

I can't remember his name, I'm sure all of you do..the guy from Santa Cruz Guitar Company has some that has been fallen and buried for over 2000 years. He had only made one guitar out of it when I saw the interview, and..this isn't your typical sycamore but he said that this one sounded warm, woody, and rich.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Gorgeous wood when accurately quartersawn, bends easily, sands like a dream but the tap tone is about as exciting as damp cardboard. I built two out of it but no more for me. Its not worth wasting my time.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:59 AM

See this piece on the 'Guitarbench' website.....

http://www.guitarbench.com/2009/04/1...wood-database/

Cheers
Vic
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Gorgeous wood when accurately quartersawn, bends easily, sands like a dream but the tap tone is about as exciting as damp cardboard. I built two out of it but no more for me. Its not worth wasting my time.
We can always count on you for a "straight talkin' " plain truth answer! And that is a very good thing, indeed.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I built a Sycamore /Adi 00 shortscale, Maple neck, Osage bridge plate Brazilian Bridge. My 2nd build, first scratch build. The Sycamore was a rescued board from a burn pile!
Tim McKnight cut it down from boards, mentioning the wet cardboard tone. So, when I built it a year or so later I figured second build, experiment and it might as well look pretty.
When done she looked great and sounded like shrill, wet cardboard. I sat her aside and moved on. 4 months went by. I pulled her out. 1 the neck shifted enough she needs unbolted and re-corrected. 2 the tone is now Woody and rich with great seperation, quick fall off. I am a fan of the guitars tone. When she was first born I was far from a fan.
I have another set. I plan on using it for a future build.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:54 PM

I've built a few with it and actually kinda like it. As Tim mentions it's not much on tap tone, at least not in the range where you normally listen. I find it varies a lot from piece to piece but it "rings" at a very low frequency as a rule. I have 2 or 3 sets here and I'd guess there is at least a full octave between the 3... which if you have taped much wood is a lot! If it's close to maple it would be western maple not eastern but like I said one piece might be more like maple the other like walnut. The striking thing about it is it's weight, the body is so light that it's hard to get them to not be neck heavy. I'd recommend a slot head. The right piece can be absolutely stunning visually. Here are a couple pic's of my Sept. 11 guitar which was American sycamore (patriotic theme and all...)

Cheers,
Harv

The idea for the Statue of Liberty with arms around the WTC just popped in my head as I was designing this inlay... kind of freaky actually...

If you look closely at the spots on the birch trees you can see "93" for the flight that crashed in the woods near Shanksville Pa.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

We have one still available that's been buried in the Marketplace:

Kinnaird Sycamore OM thread

Check out the thread for some videos and soundclips. We love it, in fact, we built the guitar just because we had the local woods on hand. It sounds great! This guitar has been played in concert by Jason Harrod, and we love having it around the shop. We're in the middle of another build of a Sycamore Parlor based on the sound of the first one. Not the same as Rosewood, but the sound could resemble a Maple-backed instrument. Though to our ear, it's closest to Walnut.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM

I played a Santa Cruz that was built from Sycamore about 1 1/2 years ago at Mandolin Bros. Don't remember the size or the top.

A very unique sound. Comparing to maple is accurate in the lack of overtones and quick drop of. The sound itself was very unique. Never heard anything quite like it. I liked the sound of the guitar very much (for what it was).

I would say, though, that Sycamore would be an 'acquired' taste and would be a good 2nd guitar. IMHO, I wouldn't choose it as my only guitar.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaren View Post
I can't remember his name, I'm sure all of you do..the guy from Santa Cruz Guitar Company has some that has been fallen and buried for over 2000 years. He had only made one guitar out of it when I saw the interview, and..this isn't your typical sycamore but he said that this one sounded warm, woody, and rich.
You're referring to Richard Hoover. When he gave me a tour of his shop a few years ago he showed me the 2,000 year-old slab of sycamore. He also showed me a couple of guitars being built from his stash of sycamore. My impression was that the wood looked like it was animal skin. I have never heard or played a sycamore guitar though. I wish I could remember what his comment was about the tone compared to rosewood and mahogany. He is a big fan of the wood though. And it is local and renewable.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Yamaha used to build an engleman over sycamore dread.Unfortunately, I think it was discontinued last year. This is one of the best guitars tone wise that I ever encountered. The tone was very maple like with a hint of the wonderful airy woody tone that mahogany offers. I remember it being very light in weight. It could be had for around $300. I think it was the FG750S. Or something like that.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
We have one still available that's been buried in the Marketplace:

Kinnaird Sycamore OM thread

Check out the thread for some videos and soundclips. We love it, in fact, we built the guitar just because we had the local woods on hand. It sounds great! This guitar has been played in concert by Jason Harrod, and we love having it around the shop. We're in the middle of another build of a Sycamore Parlor based on the sound of the first one. Not the same as Rosewood, but the sound could resemble a Maple-backed instrument. Though to our ear, it's closest to Walnut.
Wow, I can believe how much the back of your guitar looks like the back of the 911... I thought, "where did he get that picture? I never published one from that angle" bloodwood binding, 3 piece back with bloodwood... even the same dimentions for the wedge... cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion