The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM

Default Took my AP70 from good to great

Long time lurker, but first (discussion) post. Just wanted to say thanks for a great community.

Anyway, the few guitars I've had have been exclusively 000 size and I'd been itching for a GA for a long while. Well I picked up an Alvarez AP70 a while ago for a little over $200 for a couch guitar to play after my toddler is in bed and as holdover until I could save up for a GA I really wanted.

I was pretty blown away as I'd never really played anything that small and was expecting thin and twangy, not the sweet sounding guitar I got. It's definitely made me re-evaluate getting a grand auditorium as the ones I've played (and dreads) since getting the AP70 have made me really miss the definition and feel of a smaller body. I guess I've just always fallen for the stereo type that small bodies were I'll suited for strumming (though I am not a hard strummer.

All that to say, I decided to take it into the shop to see if they could widen the string spacing at the saddle and I'm very pleased with the results. Big thanks to Brad at Guitar Technical Services in Tulsa, he got it out to a hair over 2 1/4 with room to spare. Absolutely loving it.

Here are a couple of pics of the results

Last edited by featherhead; 03-28-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:13 PM

Just got my ap70 a couple weeks ago. Big voice in such a small package.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Guest 1511

1. Your pictures are too large. Make 'em a bit smaller to conform to our screen sizes.

2. There's a misconception that seems to abound around guitar circles that anything smaller than a dread has thin bass, or sounds boxy, or sound anemic. But guitars were smaller for longer than they have been larger. I've gotten used to the 00 size and now, to me, they have just the right tone for what I play, which is a pretty wide range of music.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 PM

Ok that should be better

Last edited by featherhead; 03-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion