The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2024, 01:36 PM

Default LR Baggs pickups

I have some Gibson guitars with LR Baggs pickups. You have to loosen the strings to change the battery. Fortunately, I have another Gibson guitar that lets me access the battery on the outside of the guitar.

Does anyone use just guitars with internal batteries to gig? I would think that changing a 9 volt battery every time you change your strings, assuming you change your strings every month or so, would be sufficient.

I had a Taylor 324ce briefly, but I took it back (couldn't get the sound right). It had an easily accessible battery, which was a plus.

Gibson Southern Jumbo (acoustic)
Gibson Songwriter (acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Hohner Special 20 harmonicas
Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Piano/Keyboard
Old 04-16-2024, 01:57 PM

My Baggs M80 has a coin battery and you don't have to loosen the strings to get at it. Or the active/passive switch, for that matter, if your battery poops out. But the batteries seem to last a very long time.

My HiFi, on the other hand, has a 9V and you do have to slacken the strings.

Couch Standards
Old 04-16-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson189 View Post
I have some Gibson guitars with LR Baggs pickups. You have to loosen the strings to change the battery. Fortunately, I have another Gibson guitar that lets me access the battery on the outside of the guitar.

Does anyone use just guitars with internal batteries to gig? I would think that changing a 9 volt battery every time you change your strings, assuming you change your strings every month or so, would be sufficient.

I had a Taylor 324ce briefly, but I took it back (couldn't get the sound right). It had an easily accessible battery, which was a plus.
Funny you had issues with the 324ce sound too. I loved mine unplugged but couldn't get with the ES2 in it. My 110e is fine.
Anyway, I had a Seymour Duncan Magmic in an Eastman E1OM. I changed the battery every string change. No biggie. Battery life was like 400 hours on the Magmic. (As long as you don't leave it plugged in, of course)
Old 04-16-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I gig with guitars with Element VTCs. The battery lasts a long time. Many gigs.

If you change your battery on a schedule you should be golden.although… a battery life indicator in % would be a welcome addition to any of these pickups.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson189 View Post

The Baggs Anthem says it gets 170 hours on a battery. If you play 3 hour gigs, that's (checks math...) 56 gigs before you need to change the battery. So if you play once a week, you can go over a year between battery changes. Maybe go every 6-9 months to be safe.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Funny you had issues with the 324ce sound too. I loved mine unplugged but couldn't get with the ES2 in it.
Unplugged, I thought the 324ce was a little bright, compared to my Gibson guitars, not that an audience would really notice. Plugged in, I had to work to get a decent sound, even with a Body Rez.

Also, it was hard to get a strap on it. I wasn't overly enamored with the D'Addario strap lock. For that money, it should be much better. Just my opinion.

Gibson Southern Jumbo (acoustic)
Gibson Songwriter (acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Hohner Special 20 harmonicas
Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Piano/Keyboard
Old 04-16-2024, 08:20 PM

As Doug mentioned, the battery life on most Baggs pickups is exceptionally long. Back in my University days when I would play live weekly shows, I would only change my battery maybe once a year and that was usually just because I thought I should.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:42 PM

Gibson puts the Baggs Element in their guitars. Battery life is 1,000 hours (according to LR Baggs).
If you're changing the battery every string change....
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 04-17-2024, 05:02 AM

I've got a Baggs M1A - uses a CR2032 battery, which is supposed to last 1000 hours. I've replaced the battery in mine, but it probably had more use in it.

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification