The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Advice request?

Moderators, this may or may not be appropriate so .... here goes:

We are considering raffling off an acoustic guitar to benefit a lady in our church who is blind, on weekly kidney dialysis and was just recently diagnosed with cancer. The family is really in a hardship and we are feeling the conviction to help in some small way. If we sell tickets to raffle off a guitar in her benefit (no profit on our part) can this be construed as gambling? Would I need to acquire any forms or paperwork before proceeding? We are in Ohio if that makes a difference.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 AM

I am not a moderator, but I think it is a great idea, Tim. I hear your guitars are excellent, and I would love the chance to have the possilbility of playing one, and no way would I be alone in this endeavor. Your fellow Christian would benefit greatly from the support here no doubt, even if just from prayer.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Hi Tim. Since this thread is really more about the raffle than the guitar, I moved it here. Your question is "...can this be construed as gambling? Would I need to acquire any forms or paperwork before proceeding?" I think you would need to check local and state laws, though someone here may already know.

"Construed as gambling" has both a legal aspect and a non-legal, personal morals one. I know people who personally consider a raffle, paying money for a chance to win the jackpot, as gambling. I also know people who do not.

My church had a similar raffle recently, for a similar purpose. The prize was two tickets to this Saturday's Tennessee vs. Georgia football game. Those that bought the $10 tickets evidently had no problem with it, and the effort raised well over $2,000 to help a family with 6 children whose mother has cancer. A few people in the church raised their eyebrows a bit and refused to participate, but there was no protest. Some who were against it dontated to the family directly.

I suspect that's not the "construed as gambling" that concerns you, but the legal aspects. For that, I suggest you contact your local city attorney or state Attorney General.

Of course, we could not allow the raffle here on the AGF, as we do not do fund raisers, even for such a worthy project.

If it is one of your guitars being raffled off, I suspect it would bring a sizable response. Good luck!

cotten
Old 10-04-2006, 10:54 AM

Do you have a lawyer in your congregation? If so, you should ask him or her whether a raffle constitutes gambling under Ohio law. (And if it's someone in your congregation, you'll probably get the answer for free.)
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-- Herbert Spencer
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Beginner!

It's not considered gambling. most forms of bingo and raffles (if they are non profit) are exempt from restrictive gambling laws. And besides, it's for a sick lady who could obviously use the help. Sometimes doing the right thing is more important than doing the legal thing

Anyways, here's the official hoo-ha http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Charitable-Gaming/Ohio/
Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the responses folks. I think we are gong to forge ahead with it but I didn't say that on-line Feel free to contact me via email if you have questions.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 AM

Tim,

You might include your electronic community (AGF) in the raffle...we've been know to help a good cause or two, and that might amplify your results
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondo
Tim,

You might include your electronic community (AGF) in the raffle...we've been know to help a good cause or two, and that might amplify your results

I don't think they can allow that here?
But a guy could contact him using the link in his signature, I guess...
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2553
I don't think they can allow that here?
But a guy could contact him using the link in his signature, I guess...
... or you can contact Mary directly as she is managing this effort.

mary {AT} mcknightguitars {DOT} com
Old 10-05-2006, 10:07 AM

I am not an attorney but I played one on TV once.....ok, no I didn't, but I went to Law School......ok, no I didn't, but I did sit for the BAR.....ok, I didn't..... but still......

I would hazard a guess that the line on gambling or not will be whether or not you the Raffler retain any of the monies, generating a profit.

Just a guess.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5
I am not an attorney but I played one on TV once.....ok, no I didn't, but I went to Law School......ok, no I didn't, but I did sit for the BAR.....ok, I didn't..... but still......

I would hazard a guess that the line on gambling or not will be whether or not you the Raffler retain any of the monies, generating a profit.

Just a guess.
We will not profit in any way from this and 100% of the funds raised will go to the family in need. Thanks for your guesstimate.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight
We will not profit in any way from this and 100% of the funds raised will go to the family in need. Thanks for your guesstimate.
In re-reading this thread, I should have ended my previous guess with, "so you should be ok", because I in no way thought that you would be profiting from what is clearly an act of charity and love.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

FWIW - There is a new link on the bottom of my website's home page for any of you that have an interest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic