The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Vocal mic?

I am looking to upgrade my vocal mic. I am currently using a Beta 58, and would like to move up to a better mic. I would love to get an Audio Technica AE5400, but i don't think I can afford it. Does any one have any suggestions? Sennheiser? another Audio Technica? i don't think I will get a shure 87. I just think there are better mice for the price.

thanks- aaron
Old 02-03-2006, 07:24 AM

Shure SM-58 always did the trick just fine for me.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 AM

You're talking for live use right?

Not for recording?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 AM

There's no way to tell. The biggest factors are your vocals and the rigs you run through. The best thing would be to compare the usual suspects (AT, AKG, Sennhieser, Shure) in the atmosphere intended.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Yes, i am talking about live use.

I play so many different places that there is no one rig I go through. It is always different depending on the gig.

Aaron
Old 02-03-2006, 08:45 AM

from my understanding the beta87 is probably the best bang for the buck mic if you're looking for something better than the beta58. I'd say go to your local shop and compare each mic and let your ears decide which is "best"

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
.tom the übergeek

Personally, if you cannot count on the PA, I would stick with a dynamic mic. A Beta 87 (or any condensor) is going to require phantom power and will perform best with 48v. Many boards have 18v or so or NONE. I am not sure I would be comfortable with that.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 AM

You have a pretty good live mic in the Beta 58. An SM58 would be a step down. However, maybe you are looking for "different" rather than "better." Like guitars, you should audition mics. I have a couple high end mics, dynamic and condenser, yet I prefer my voice through my old EV dynamic. Various mics color your voice just as various tonewoods color a guitar.

When I bought the EV, the store had a turntable "thingy" (technical term) that mounted on a mic stand. Several mics were attached and as you rotated the turntable, the mic facing you would be hot. I haven't seen one since, but I'd sure like to find a store that had one. It made it simple to A/B/C different mics.

Of my condensers, I prefer the AKG C900 (now discontinued) over the SM86 for voice. For guitar, I'm pretty happy with the KSM32.

For wireless, I have a Beta 58 and a midrange Nady. Surprisingly, I prefer the Nady.

Try as many as you can. You may stick with the Beta 58.
Martin M3SC (Shawn Colvin), JDP (Diane Ponzio), D18, 0000-28H, OMC-Aura, DCME , LXK2, 000-1 - Takamine EF-440C & F-385 - 60's Harmony Stella 12 - '57 Gretsch DuoJet - '96 Fat Strat - Oscar Schmidt OE30 - MK Legacy Dlx - Fender banjo
Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 AM

beta 87 in the house ya'll, beta 87 in the house. i've been real happy with mine and it's been put through the ringer this past year. it's a great microphone.

jonah
Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 PM

I have a Beta58 and am very happy with the sound. I liked the sm58s I had too. Hey I haven't even heard of this new beta87. Am I out of the gear loop or what?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM

The Audix OM series offers some differences, but not really an upgrade. The OM5 is worth a demo. There's always the Neumann KMS105.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
...Hey I haven't even heard of this new beta87. Am I out of the gear loop or what?
Hi BaglesGirl...
You may be out of the gear loop...but so what?

The Shure Beta87-a is not new...I've used one for nearly 3 years.

It is a phantom powered condenser vocal mic designed for stage use. It is a substantial upgrade to the SM-58 for solo vocal work. That said, I still use a lowly SM-58 and it's Behringer cousins for singing through my UltraSound amp at coffee houses, open mics, and small gigs. It is because the UltraSound has no phantom power.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2006, 03:09 AM

I use a Beta 58A for solo or duo work and an Audix OM5 with a band. The Beta 58A adds some bass presence for female vocals that a condensor like a Beta 87 does not. My PA head has phantom power, but unless every mic plugged into it is a condensor you might overload the diaphragms of the dynamic mics if phantom power is switched on (unless your PA is sophisticated enough to have separate phantom power circuits for each vocal channel). The Audix has a slightly cleaner sound, closer to a condensor, which gives me more treble to cut through electric instrumentals, and it is marginally "hotter." I've found men tend to like condensors more than women do--most of us need that proximity effect and bass coloration that a dynamic mic provides.

If a Beta 58A isn't "cutting it" for your vocals, the problem may lie in your PA or speakers; perhaps even a vocal processor (exciter, "compander") in the signal chain might be more up your alley.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
... My PA head has phantom power, but unless every mic plugged into it is a condensor you might overload the diaphragms of the dynamic mics if phantom power is switched on
Hi Sandy...
That is kind of one of those myths floating about. There are some ribbon mics which can be damaged by phantom power, but standard cardioid (non-condenser) mics don't care if the phantom switch is on or off.

We run PA systems a couple times weekly with mixed mics all the time, and have for years.

My frustration lies with acoustic amps which advertise Phantom power and then one discovers they are only 13 Volt or 15 Volt instead of 48 Volt. Many condenser mics need the full 48 Volt version of phantom.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 AM

Let me be the lone voice in the wilderness boosting the Shure Beta57. The difference between the sound of this mic and any other I've tried (especially in live situations) is like night and day.

I'd recommend it most highly.

peace,
Tim from Jersey

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification