The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Chorus Pedal with TRS Balanced Input & Output

Can anyone recommend a chorus pedal that has a balanced input and output for TRS 1/4" cables?

Thanks.

1989 Taylor 910ce
2003 Taylor K65ce
2004 Taylor 915ce
2005 National Style N Reso-Rocket Cutaway (Brass Body)
Old 01-30-2005, 12:15 AM

Along those same lines, I'd be interested to know if a balanced TRS is necessary if you are going to use a DI. It was my understanding that you could used unbalanced cables and stomp boxes as long as there was a DI before the sound got to the sound board. Did I misunderstand something?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple915ce
Can anyone recommend a chorus pedal that has a balanced input and output for TRS 1/4" cables?

Thanks.
Michael,
What's your playing situation? How are you going to use the pedal?

Band, PA, church, into an amp, ???
Chorus on all the time, just once in a while,?
I don't know of any pedals that are balanced like that, but there may be a workaround.

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 01-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Default A bit of a mismatch

TRS, the ring, tip, sleeve connection, is very uncommon as far as guitar/keyboard outputs go and is almost unheard of in "stomp-boxes". XLR is very common in preamp equipped accoustics but no pedals I know of use XLR connectors. The Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus box is absolutely WONDERFUL for rich, sexy chorus but is 1/4" TS in and out. To utilise the full advantage of the 3-wire TRS cables, you would need a matching transformer to make the change from unbalanced TS to balanced TRS. The exception to this would be if your instrument output is TRS/stereo, as two of my guitars are. Then it becomes a simple cable thing. The transformers to match TS to TRS are small and fairly cheap but lets make sure what you are actually trying to do first. I would be happy to recommend the needed part #s and such once I know exactly what you are hooking up to. Sorry to be so long-winded but that's me.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Chorus Pedal

Thanks for the input (no pun intended!). I have heard of the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus Pedal, but had not read a review. It sounds like a great one that I might pick up.

In the situations that I play out instead of record, I use a Taylor with ES system through the K4 and out to a powered monitor and PA. Most of the time I prefer as natural a sound as possible, but occasionally like a little chorus or reverb. The effects loop for the K4 works fine with standard 1/4" cables, the only negative being that it brings the gain down a touch, which is pointed out in the manual.

When I left a message for Zack at Taylor Guitars about suggestions for effects pedals, his return message stated that there were effects pedals on the market with balanced input/output, but they were a bit pricey. He suggested using the TRS balnced output from the K4 to the PA as a compensatory way to adjust the volume, rather than using the XLR out, which is lower in gain.

1989 Taylor 910ce
2003 Taylor K65ce
2004 Taylor 915ce
2005 National Style N Reso-Rocket Cutaway (Brass Body)
Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 AM

I would recomend using a small mixer and putting the FX in the aux send/return. Then send the signal from the mixer to the board. It's working for me. it's a bit more hassle but it is the only way I can get both my electric/VG-88 and my acoustic to the boss loopstation.

ken
Yamaha SBG500
Old 01-31-2005, 05:22 AM

It's probably got more than your looking for, but the Line 6 XT guitar and bass XT POD pro have a TRS balanced input ( designed for reamping) on the rear panel. Balanced xlr outs are also included ( stereo on the XT ).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification