The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Music writing software

I would like to take the notes and music my instructor writes for me on staff paper and put it on the computer for print out.

For example the chord charts, rhythm notation (up and down arrows), chord names, tab etc.

This way I can keep my music organized and clean up some of the sloppier notes.

Anyone know of a good package that does this?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Sibelius and Finale are the two leaders in that arena. They both offer what you describe in addition to many more very cool features.

http://www.sibelius.com/

http://www.finalemusic.com/

They both offer either "light" versions or guitar specific versions.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Sibelius and Finale are both wonderful, but expensive. PowerTab is free, and may be just what you're looking for. http://www.power-tab.net
714CE/ES (cedar-rosewood)
Aphex Acoustic Exciter
Roland GR-33
M-Audio Black Box
E-mu PK-6 Proteus
Bose 'Singing Totem Pole' w/2 subs
Monster Cable

http://www.myspace.com/kevinmichael
Old 11-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Yep - free is always good. Finale does have a free version (called Notepad) that actually has a surprising amount of functionality for a free program. Might be worth checking out.

Also, Finale Guitar and Sibelius G7 are guitar specific (both seem to be wonderful tools) and cost a whole lot less than the full blown versions of the programs.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 PM

I've been using Print Music, which is a Finale product. It's a little clunky but fairly user friendly. A friend of mine uses Note Pad (free version from Finale) and seems to like it.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be interested to read what others are using.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM

Anyone know of a program that will scan in sheet music and convert it to tab? I find it hard to believe that G7 can do this for guitar and actually make fingerings that would be reasonable for the guitarist trying to excecute them, but I have heard that it can atleast scan it it. I was wondering if anyone had used this program to do such a thing, and if so, how did it work out for you?

Thanks

Devon
Old 11-10-2004, 04:37 PM

I've been using Encore for several years, and even with some minor bugs, I love it for its intuitive user interface -- you almost don't need the manual to get started. It's had a rocky history, but it seems to be back on track now, as does its simpler sibling, MusicTime. www.gvox.com
Old 11-10-2004, 07:01 PM

I used Tabledit for a long time. Still a great program for the money.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME@VT
Anyone know of a program that will scan in sheet music and convert it to tab? I find it hard to believe that G7 can do this for guitar and actually make fingerings that would be reasonable for the guitarist trying to excecute them, but I have heard that it can atleast scan it it. I was wondering if anyone had used this program to do such a thing, and if so, how did it work out for you? Thanks Devon
Sibelius and their Photoscore scans music and turns it into standard notation, with pretty decent results. I believe that G7 does the same for tab, though I'm not certain. I'd suggest contacting Sibelius directly, or maybe talking with Beverly Sumpter at Christian Computer Concepts. She's great, and most helpful.
http://www.christiancomputerconcepts.com/

cotten
Old 11-11-2004, 12:21 AM

My experiences with Photoscore weren't so great. Sibelius does a good job of providing accurate fingerings in tablature, as it won't, for example, notate chords that would require more than a 5-fret stretch. This is a numerical setting can be changed within the menus. While the automated tablature is reasonable, I find that more than half the time I end up changing the fingerings in order to improve playability. Both Sibelius and Finale are great as automated programs, but their real power lies in the hands of those with a grasp on compositional theory, the workings of the software, and time to spare.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Sibelius and their Photoscore scans music and turns it into standard notation, with pretty decent results. I believe that G7 does the same for tab, though I'm not certain. I'd suggest contacting Sibelius directly, or maybe talking with Beverly Sumpter at Christian Computer Concepts. She's great, and most helpful.
http://www.christiancomputerconcepts.com/

cotten
Thank you for the info and suggestions cotten.

Devon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification