The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2004, 07:08 AM

Default how do i...

how do i mic up a guitar without a pickup for live gigs. id prefer to mic it as i feel i get a more natural and real sound this way. also, i dont want to put holes in my new martin so id rather not have a pickup put in. opinions for -

-best mic for the job

-how to place the mics

-how many mics do i use

anyone got experience in these areas?

thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hmmm... I'm just revelling in being freed up from mic'ing acoustics for all those years, but I'll give you my take:

If you MUST use a mic, two stick out: a good old Shure SM-57 or a Shure SM-81. Here's the deal: The 57 is a reasonable dynamic mic. Not too terribly hi-fi or dynamic but really easy to use with low feedback. Are you adventurous? Okee, go with an 81. It has a much wider frequency response and much greater dynamic range, though, and you'll have to figure that in. You may want to roll off the low-bass to prevent coupling between the speakers and mic, giving you that lovely freight train a-comin' low rumble even at lower levels.

I avoid mic'ing at the soundhole like the proverbial plague. you end up with boominess and feedback as the natural results. I mic a guitar by pointing the mic at the fingerboard from about six to eight inches out and pointed at the place where the neck joins the body. This location prevents too much cavity resonance, allows a blend of string and body sound, and prevents boom. If it is too stringy, move or point the mic a wee bit more towards the sound hole.

You might try blendining the low-end of a pickup with the mids and highs of a mic. That could prevent cavity resonance problems and give you that more natural mid-to-high you crave. Do pay attention to any phase anomallies. Think on...

Bob
Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Bob has provided an excellent summary, but don't forget Rule No. 6 -- For the entire duration of your performance, DON'T MOVE!!!

Seriously, though, I'm not the most animated performer in the world, but the abilty to move around the stage is one of the biggest perks of getting away from mic'ing your acoustic. Just something to consider...

AB
www.bobmccann.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification