The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Pre-Amp Suggestions

Hey Forum Members,

Our band is getting ready for it's first gig next month, and I'm needing to get a pre-amp to run all my acuostics through...

Here's my line-up of guitars and pickups:

Taylor 612C with Fishman Matrix Natural II

Taylor 355 with LR Baggs I-Beam Active

Tacoma DR12 with B-Band A2.2...

I may also use my Taylor 422R, but it doesn't have a pickup yet...thinking about a K&K Pure Western or another LR Baggs I-Beam...

Now I'm pretty sure that I don't absolutely need a pre-amp, but I've heard that it's better to be safe than sorry...

Any recommendations on a pre-amp that would go well with this line-up? OH...I'll be plugging into a Fender Acoustasonic...

Thx,

La_Lengua
Old 08-09-2004, 04:43 PM

You don't need one unless you want to fatten up your sound with extra gain.

Doc
Old 08-09-2004, 04:44 PM

You can get away without another preamp. I'm not sure about the B-Band, but the other pickups already have a preamp. Your Acoustisonic has a preamp of its own. IMHO if you added a separate preamp you'd just be increasing the number of things that could go wrong during the gig.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Default ...

...you could add a presonus tubepre, (I use it sometimes in single channel applications in my studio), it has a 12AX7 in it, it might add some warmth, thats about it...plus extra gain that actually might distort your signal. I daisy chain it w/ presonus comp16 and eq3b. They are relatively inexpensive, and excellent in quality. I used them exclusively when I was first building my studio, but keep em around till this day cause they work so well, and especially when I dont feel like firing up the 'heavy' machinery.

I single channel chain it as follows:

...guitar>var. pedals>Vox AC30 miked by Sure sm57(dynamic) & MXL 603s(condenser)>tubepre>eq3b>comp16>DAC>protools rig...

...I use this setup for small live audio guitar recording, but to use it live(stage), just flip the chain...

...guitar>tubepre>eq3b>comp16>pedals or sound mod>amp. and VIOALA!

heres a link:
tubepre

Last edited by senatoresmusic; 08-09-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM

Doesn't sound like you need a preamp. All the guitars you listed have active electronics. In addition, the fender amp will have enough gain for you.

That being said, I use a Raven Labs PMB preamp. It's designed to blend two signals, typically a piezo and a mic, but not necissarily. I use it with an iBeam and an element in my 410. This is without an amp, run straight to the board after the preamp.

My Band!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:36 PM

The one issue you might have is getting a constant volume running several guitars through the same amp, since each on board preamp will have a different gain. If you just use the amp, you can of course just adjust the amp to some approximate settings you have tested. If you go out to a house system, it is hard to hear difference in levels, so you might be dependent on the sound person to adjust your level each time you change guitars. An adjustable preamp on each guitar would allow you to set the levels initially and leave the amp setting alone. I have no experience with this, but an inexpensive 4 channel mixer might do the same thing. As I said I do not know if the latter option is viable.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Dido for everyone. Most of your guitars have preamps. Fender amp does have a preamp volume too. Sounds like a real nice sound that all of you are going to get together.

But if you are looking for one I would like to recomend the Avalon Design U5. This is used my Clapton and Mayer. They use non active pickup in there acoustic and use the U5 into the sound system. Check out Clapton unpluged!!

Now if you are going to put the K&K Pure Western ( the non active one) in the Taylor you will need a preamp if you go to an amp that does not have a preamp.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM

I have a 422R Ltd with a LR Baggs Element active pickup system installed, It sounds great. Don't be afraid to try one out, you won't be disapointed.

Cheers...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:05 PM

Sorry nit's not a 422R, It's a 1996 - 420R LTD I have...
Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 PM

My suggestion is to purchase a small mixer, (a Yamaha MG 12/4 comes to mind). You could have a separate channel dedicated to each guitar and each EQ'd specifically for that guitar. Then when you change guitars it's already set except for the volume. I use the MG 10/2 in my studio as a preamp for a lot of things. It keeps me from having to stop and readjust settings all the time. I also use an Avalon U5 and also have a couple of Presonus Blue Tube DP's around as well. The Yamaha MG series has stereo output. They're also not expensive compared to other small mixers.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488

Last edited by tac5; 02-25-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
AGF Bouncer

I second the Presonus or any tube pre.

Give it a bit of warmth, take the edge of the piezo 'quack'.

Good stuff indeed.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification