The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Default RIP Paco de Lucia

I just learned of Paco de Lucia's passing of a heart attack at the age of 66; far too young, far too soon. He was, in my view, the true heir-apparent of the remarkable Sabicas, and like him leaves a legacy of brilliance that will shine forever in the musical firmament.
RIP Paco.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Default RIP Paco de Lucia

A true artist. I hope his family finds peace with this.

Among the many beautiful memories I have of him is his role in the Sauro's flamenco ballet adaptation of Bizet's Carnen. This is a wonderful film which I recommend to anyone who enjoys either flamenco or Carmen but esp both.

Hans

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

wow,

Moraito now this.
very sad to hear.

d
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 PM

So sad to hear this. Paco de Lucía, taken too soon. Phenomenal guitar player whose creative musical energy inspired me. RIP Maestro.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Yes, a true pillar was lost today. He assumes his rightful place in the pantheon among the greats. RIP.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Sad news. I was fortunate to see the mid-80's tour with Paco, John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola. I was stunned, sitting in the aisle seats, 3rd row, stage right, and thinking that I was seeing history being made.

Unfortunately my date for the evening was a pure Top 40 AM radio girl and she finally left 30 minutes into the show. When she left, and left in a huff, Senor De Lucia noticed her exit and gave me (I think) the raised eyebrows as if to say "What happened, buddy?" I just smiled, shrugged and settled in.

He and DiMeola (who sat in the center) apparently also noticed her exit but just shook his head (Okay, she WAS a knock-out but you would have stayed, too. Right? Right?).

Great show, great memories.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmRob View Post
Sad news. I was fortunate to see the mid-80's tour with Paco, John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola. I was stunned, sitting in the aisle seats, 3rd row, stage right, and thinking that I was seeing history being made.

Unfortunately my date for the evening was a pure Top 40 AM radio girl and she finally left 30 minutes into the show. When she left, and left in a huff, Senor De Lucia noticed her exit and gave me (I think) the raised eyebrows as if to say "What happened, buddy?" I just smiled, shrugged and settled in.

He and DiMeola (who sat in the center) apparently also noticed her exit but just shook his head (Okay, she WAS a knock-out but you would have stayed, too. Right? Right?).

Great show, great memories.
i definitely would have stayed
d
Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 AM

A real legend. RIP PdL
Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
i definitely would have stayed
d
I wouldn't have bothered phoning next day either.
MJRB
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmRob View Post
The "Saturday Night Live" album recorded during that tour is one of the greatest albums ever, no question you witnessed history. Paco was mostly unknown in the US at that time, and sadly still is today (flamenco is not to the taste of most pop oriented gringos).... possibly the greatest guitar player ever (better than Segovia, Sabicas, Django Reinhardt? You decide), I feel fortunate to have seen him perform several times.

Paco is to flamenco (and blues, and classical) what Michael Jordan was to basketball... a game changer.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 02-27-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 AM

One of our band running jokes is "Paco don't need no cutaway".

And he didn't.

A step change musician. One of those special people that changed music for a whole generation of new flamenco players. And likely for many generations to come. He set a new standard.

I mentioned this elsewhere but, while his contribution to the trio was beyond significant, if you haven't heard him play flamenco, please take the time to do so.

hunter
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM

I never did get to see Paco live, and I am deeply saddened by this news. As a kid he was among the first non-pop artists I listened to that expanded my musical horizons into Jazz, classical and flamenco.

Back in the day I was sent a video of a great bootleg recording of the classic DiMeola/McLaughlin/De Lucia trio from Germany in '81. Now it's available online. I'll link to the video in case anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/k_5YZbmLI4c

EDIT: Whatever, can't embed on this forum? That's annoying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion