The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Others can feel as they may but to me a neck reset on a Martin wouldn't really effect the price so long as it was done well. Lots of Martins get neck resets in their lifetimes, so there's nothing so unusual about a neck reset that it raises any red flags in most situations.

But you needed a neck reset on a year-old guitar. That shouldn't happen and it does make me wonder why it happened. I would think that, in most cases, a neck reset in a year in indicative of abuse (not accusing you, just explaining where my brain is going on this) and I'd be very hesitant to buy that guitar.

I'm not saying most people would feel the same, but a Martin needing a reset in a year is worrisome enough that I'd probably be a hard pass on that guitar.
Agreed. That's the thing. On a 25+ year old guitar I don't think a clean reset affects the value at all, at least not with knowledgeable buyers. However, on a newer one, it's definitely concerning. I've heard a number of Martin owners report this issue on newer Martins, and we've seen quite a few Martins ship with extremely low saddles, so it makes me thing it's an issue at the factory.

The sentiment that the guitar is better now than when it was new is correct. And, the owner should be confident that they have a good guitar. But, value is affected regardless.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:40 PM

Post it for what you think it's worth. Go down a hundred dollars a month till it sells.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Agreed. That's the thing. On a 25+ year old guitar I don't think a clean reset affects the value at all, at least not with knowledgeable buyers. However, on a newer one, it's definitely concerning. I've heard a number of Martin owners report this issue on newer Martins, and we've seen quite a few Martins ship with extremely low saddles, so it makes me thing it's an issue at the factory.

The sentiment that the guitar is better now than when it was new is correct. And, the owner should be confident that they have a good guitar. But, value is affected regardless.
I agree with this thinking. A recent neck reset on an old Martin tells me that's a cost I shouldn't need to deal with for a long time. A neck reset on essentially a brand new guitar tells me there was something seriously wrong with the guitar out of the factory. Is that the only issue?
Old 04-10-2024, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Many small issues here. Either way, it’s fixed now, and assuming the guitar has good geometry I’d be taking the value down about 10%. There’s just no way if 2 used 2022 D-18s were side by side in a store with the same tone/action/relief/and nut and one had a neck reset, and one didn’t, that I’d pay the same for the reset one. On a 1985 D-18, I’d rather have the reset guitar. My favorite guitar was made in 2011 and had a reset in 2013 along with a bridge re-glue, and recently a refret. Its neck angle is still perfect and besides my 1930s Martins is my favorite.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:28 PM

I agree with the majority. A well done neck reset by a reputable repair person should give a buyer and the seller confidence.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:08 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Many small issues here. Either way, it’s fixed now, and assuming the guitar has good geometry I’d be taking the value down about 10%. There’s just no way if 2 used 2022 D-18s were side by side in a store with the same tone/action/relief/and nut and one had a neck reset, and one didn’t, that I’d pay the same for the reset one. On a 1985 D-18, I’d rather have the reset guitar. My favorite guitar was made in 2011 and had a reset in 2013 along with a bridge re-glue, and recently a refret. Its neck angle is still perfect and besides my 1930s Martins is my favorite.
My thoughts exactly. On an older guitar it adds value. On a guitar that’s less than a year old? What else might be wrong with it? And why risk it when there are so many newish D-18s on the market without previous neck issues. For better or worse that’s what’s flowing through my mind as a potential buyer.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork Advanced Jumbo
Old 04-11-2024, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Wow, great responses and thanks again. I just needed some perspective on this. Other than minor scratches and a couple of small dings I believe that guitar is in good condition. I'm realistic about selling guitars these days and will post for a reasonable price and go from there. I truly wish I didn't have to sell it. I'll let you know how it all unfolds.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
You mentioned it and many people seem to think this but how well you care for a guitar is not usually a reason for it needing a reset. Bulging top, cracks, and a sunken top are the things that will happen if a guitar is not taken care of. Changing geometry of the neck to the body is just something that happens with guitars. If the work is done well I think of it as a bonus because usually, a guitar is fairly stable after a neck reset (once it's settled in).
If it happens over the long stretch, I agree; however, this happened in a year. The geometry shouldn't change so much that a neck reset is necessary in that short period. It points to either abuse or some other issue. It's certainly possible that the guitar will be fine from that point but there are enough guitars in the world to make that a gamble I'm not going to take.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-13-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I also advise selling in person. I've had a couple remorseful buyers recently who basically returned for very small reasons even though the guitars were in very good condition and the buyer got very good deals. In person cash and carry AS IS , old school transactions are the best.
Amen every day and twice on Sunday. Too many ignorant nitpickers with buyer's remorse out there. Cash and carry and done!
Old 04-13-2024, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
If the neck was reset under warranty and looks good, I don't think it should affect your asking price. In some ways it is a plus, as it's unlikely to need additional neck work in the foreseeable future.
I agree.

And less possible problems is a major plus for MANY folks…

Just disclose all issues and how they are resolved

Good luck on the sale and finding what you will PLAY

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-13-2024, 08:18 PM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
My thoughts exactly. On an older guitar it adds value. On a guitar that’s less than a year old? What else might be wrong with it? And why risk it when there are so many newish D-18s on the market without previous neck issues. For better or worse that’s what’s flowing through my mind as a potential buyer.
Enough with the 'neck issues'. Nothing wrong with the neck. The bodies deform and to maintain playability, the neck is moved to compensate for the body deformation.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Enough with the 'neck issues'. Nothing wrong with the neck. The bodies deform and to maintain playability, the neck is moved to compensate for the body deformation.
How did you rule out that the neck issue was caused by improper treatment of the guitar?

I'm not saying that's the case buy you seem to be making the claim that the neck issue was absolutely just a normal thing that happened and I'm curious how you were able to rule out any other cause.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-15-2024, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I have seen several new Martins with low saddles in the last 10-12 years. It is more common than one realizes, or in some cases, wants to accept. It is more than likely a geometry issue directly from the factory. As the guitar top became accustomed to holding 170-185 lb load, the already low saddle was too short to adjust lower. As phavriluk mentioned, neck resets are about the top and body, not about the neck. This is true more than 99% of the time.

So the neck reset was covered under warranty. The seller, who is a stand up guy by the way, discloses it, and is obviously willing to make financial adjustment to alleviate any buyer concerns. And the guitar gods smile upon the AGF.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Well it sold pretty quickly, so someone was willing to take a big risk in buying a recent D18 with a neck reset.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion