The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 PM

Default So impressed with how much my Furch has opened up!

Just wanted to share how much I'm impressed with how the sound of my Furch (Sitka/mahogany) have evolved since 4 years ago when I got it, it already sounded incredibly great when it was brand new, but now it just sound amazing, so loud and projective for an OM, such a high dynamic range, bunches of headroom for aggressive strumming but still so responsive when fingerstyled! I feel like the bass registered is louder, 3D like a rosewood guitar but with mahogany's woodiness balance and clarity, I just feel like I couldn't expect anything more from a guitar! So I'm wondering for you guys who owns a Furch/Stonebridge guitar, is it other brands or boutique guitar that you own that you prefer? Would be glad to hear how you would compare your Furch to other brands you love
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 PM

So now you need to update your soundclip from 'Maple Song' to 'Mahogany Song'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
So now you need to update your soundclip from 'Maple Song' to 'Mahogany Song'.
Haha yes maybe I should but my GAS for a maple guitar is killing me!
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm a very recent convert to the impressive sound of new Furch/Stonebridge guitars (bought two of them within a week of each other!) so I'm quite happy to hear your report, Johan! I seem to be pretty adept at finding essentially new older instruments, including a '10 Lowden O23c that I purchased mint and pretty much un-played less than 2 years ago and now a '15 Stonebridge G21SW-C that, again, was cased and un-played since new. Add a new '17 Furch S22CM-C to the mix -- which reminds me so much of a '02 Avalon A101 that I regret ever having sold and the '91 Lowden O10 that I sold back to Ryan Alexander when he asked to buy it back -- and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next few years!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 AM

OM32SM by any chance? I have the same guitar. My model is a 2015 so looking forward to how it will sound in another few years. Totally agree with what you have said, Great sounding instrument, dry, woody. Raw, projective and the build quality is exceptional for its price point.

I recently aquired a used martin 00-28vs which is a phenomal instrument but the furch is more than equal to it in terms of quality, tone and playability. Some days I play the 00-28 more, other days the OM32.

For the price I think furch are unbeatable.

P.s. apparently they are introducing new models and specs in the new year! Cant wait!

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have been drooling over the Stonebridge G23CR for a while. I'm just trying to understand why the Stonebridge video demos sound brighter than the Dream Guitars videos of the same model. I'm not sure which is the correct representation of their sound.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
OM32SM by any chance? I have the same guitar. My model is a 2015 so looking forward to how it will sound in another few years. Totally agree with what you have said, Great sounding instrument, dry, woody. Raw, projective and the build quality is exceptional for its price point.

I recently aquired a used martin 00-28vs which is a phenomal instrument but the furch is more than equal to it in terms of quality, tone and playability. Some days I play the 00-28 more, other days the OM32.

P.s. apparently they are introducing new models and specs in the new year! Cant wait!
Yes OM 32 SM! Raw is a word I often use to describe its tone , very nervous and impulsive too! Didn't know about the new models and specs coming soon, can't wait either!
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-18-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have been drooling over the Stonebridge G23CR for a while. I'm just trying to understand why the Stonebridge video demos sound brighter than the Dream Guitars videos of the same model. I'm not sure which is the correct representation of their sound.
As I've told you in another thread, I've only read good things about the G23 CR, Dream guitars sells second hand guitars, so they may have opened up a bit, and the strings may differ, so does the recording process
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find out about the new models/specs?

JJ1
Old 10-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I'm a very recent convert to the impressive sound of new Furch/Stonebridge guitars (bought two of them within a week of each other!) so I'm quite happy to hear your report, Johan! I seem to be pretty adept at finding essentially new older instruments, including a '10 Lowden O23c that I purchased mint and pretty much un-played less than 2 years ago and now a '15 Stonebridge G21SW-C that, again, was cased and un-played since new. Add a new '17 Furch S22CM-C to the mix -- which reminds me so much of a '02 Avalon A101 that I regret ever having sold and the '91 Lowden O10 that I sold back to Ryan Alexander when he asked to buy it back -- and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next few years!

Phil
Cool ! Two Furch during the same week? I'm jealous Having played some Lowden and Avalon would you say that Furch plays in the same league (in terms of tone and workmanship) or is the difference of price justified?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Cool ! Two Furch during the same week? I'm jealous Having played some Lowden and Avalon would you say that Furch plays in the same league (in terms of tone and workmanship) or is the difference of price justified?
I swear that it was an accident, Johan. I'd seen the Stonebridge on the local Kijiji trade/sale site where it had been posted for about 6 weeks. I kept passing it by because I really didn't need another guitar and had no experience with the brand (though I knew of their excellent reputation). I'm a great believer that "if you don't want a cat, don't play with the kitten" so I was intentionally avoiding it.

My bandmates had issues, which I understand, with my penchant for large-bodied guitars, especially my most recent "Loud-one," because they often had problems hearing each other over the guitar. Can't argue with the tone but they are loud (I play with acrylic nails and a thumbpick) so I wondered whether a smaller bodied guitar would be better for rehearsals (it is). That, of course, was the beginning of the end...then the seller dropped the price.

So I went to play with the kitten and now have a cat. As I'd mentioned, it was pretty much brand new, fresh from the factory, despite being a Feb. '15 build. At the same time that this was happening, I'd been watching a jumbo-sized Furch advertised here on the AGF. I really didn't need another guitar but it's ok to look, isn't it? I didn't expect to be riding herd on a whole passel of cats, either!

The seller (Towzer) kept reducing the price and when I realized that 1) the seller was in Toronto so I didn't have to worry about taxes/duties, 2) the exchange rate was getting a bit better (it was listed here in USD), and 3) he had reduced the price to what I thought was an insanely-low price, I had to jump on the deal. It was just 4 days after I'd bought the Stonebridge. I was missing a large-bodied cedar/mahogany guitar after selling the Avalon A101 (which may have been built by Furch in the first place!) and returning the Lowden O10 to Ryan Alexander (from whom I'd bought it just a couple of years before).

Finally, yes, now that I've had a chance to play them, I think the Furch-made guitars are excellent -- and cheap! -- doppelgangers for some of the Irish-made guitars. I'm primarily a DADGAD player (though my solo stuff uses a wide variety of partial capos and I do keep one guitar in DADEAE and another in CGDGAC) and have some experience with Lowden/Avalon/McIlroy guitars. I'd put the '17 Furch up against my old Avalon (no surprise there, I think) and it really does remind me of what I would expect a "new" Lowden O10 (O22 now I think) to sound like. My O10 experience is of a 25+ year old guitar that sounds sublime but I can hear "that" sound in the new Furch. Anyone looking for "that" sound but can't afford a Lowden/Avalon would do well, I think, to try Furch-made guitars...excellent quality at an affordable price.

I was really happy to read your report of these guitars "opening up" and I can hardly wait for mine to just get better and better...

Phil

Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I swear that it was an accident, Johan. I'd seen the Stonebridge on the local Kijiji trade/sale site where it had been posted for about 6 weeks. I kept passing it by because I really didn't need another guitar and had no experience with the brand (though I knew of their excellent reputation). I'm a great believer that "if you don't want a cat, don't play with the kitten" so I was intentionally avoiding it.

My bandmates had issues, which I understand, with my penchant for large-bodied guitars, especially my most recent "Loud-one," because they often had problems hearing each other over the guitar. Can't argue with the tone but they are loud (I play with acrylic nails and a thumbpick) so I wondered whether a smaller bodied guitar would be better for rehearsals (it is). That, of course, was the beginning of the end...then the seller dropped the price.

So I went to play with the kitten and now have a cat. As I'd mentioned, it was pretty much brand new, fresh from the factory, despite being a Feb. '15 build. At the same time that this was happening, I'd been watching a jumbo-sized Furch advertised here on the AGF. I really didn't need another guitar but it's ok to look, isn't it? I didn't expect to be riding herd on a whole passel of cats, either!

The seller (Towzer) kept reducing the price and when I realized that 1) the seller was in Toronto so I didn't have to worry about taxes/duties, 2) the exchange rate was getting a bit better (it was listed here in USD), and 3) he had reduced the price to what I thought was an insanely-low price, I had to jump on the deal. It was just 4 days after I'd bought the Stonebridge. I was missing a large-bodied cedar/mahogany guitar after selling the Avalon A101 (which may have been built by Furch in the first place!) and returning the Lowden O10 to Ryan Alexander (from whom I'd bought it just a couple of years before).

Finally, yes, now that I've had a chance to play them, I think the Furch-made guitars are excellent -- and cheap! -- doppelgangers for some of the Irish-made guitars. I'm primarily a DADGAD player (though my solo stuff uses a wide variety of partial capos and I do keep one guitar in DADEAE and another in CGDGAC) and have some experience with Lowden/Avalon/McIlroy guitars. I'd put the '17 Furch up against my old Avalon (no surprise there, I think) and it really does remind me of what I would expect a "new" Lowden O10 (O22 now I think) to sound like. My O10 experience is of a 25+ year old guitar that sounds sublime but I can hear "that" sound in the new Furch. Anyone looking for "that" sound but can't afford a Lowden/Avalon would do well, I think, to try Furch-made guitars...excellent quality at an affordable price.

I was really happy to read your report of these guitars "opening up" and I can hardly wait for mine to just get better and better...

Phil
Thank you for sharing your views, I knew Furch used to build for Avalon if I understood properly, still interesting that Furch seems to have that kind of Irish vibe (I have already heard other people comparing Furch to Lowden Avalon and McIlroy more than I've heard them compare it to American brands). In my experience I totally agree with Furch offering the best value for the money (at least in Europe). As a guitar teacher I have often recommended this brand to my students willing to upgrade their acoustic guitar, and until now all have sounded great to my ears, very consistent tonewise, even the cheapest one. Being very lightly built and all solid, I'm pretty sure yours will open up as any properly built guitar wood do. Just avoid to replace the nut and saddle with bone, as this will have a drastic impact on tone in my experience, and not in a good way.
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 PM

No other Furch/Stonebridge users here?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No other Furch/Stonebridge users here?
I now have 2 Furch guitars. Both are amazing instruments. My D33-LR was custom ordered with the cutaway, Burst and tuning machines from the millennium series. It started off sounding great and has only gotten better.

The D32LM is also fantastic. I am blown away by the playability and volume from this guitar (both have an incredible range of dynamics)

I spoke to Stonebridge a few weeks ago about D23 cedar top dread. Gas is strong but I will have to wait a while.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your views, I knew Furch used to build for Avalon if I understood properly, still interesting that Furch seems to have that kind of Irish vibe (I have already heard other people comparing Furch to Lowden Avalon and McIlroy more than I've heard them compare it to American brands). In my experience I totally agree with Furch offering the best value for the money (at least in Europe). As a guitar teacher I have often recommended this brand to my students willing to upgrade their acoustic guitar, and until now all have sounded great to my ears, very consistent tonewise, even the cheapest one. Being very lightly built and all solid, I'm pretty sure yours will open up as any properly built guitar wood do. Just avoid to replace the nut and saddle with bone, as this will have a drastic impact on tone in my experience, and not in a good way.
Furch only made a couple of hundred Avalon's, the "gold" series, during the late 90s IIRC. It's a bit of a tangled web with Avalon building Lowdens, then not, then Furch making a few Avalons (along with some Korean-built, the "silver" series) so perhaps it's not an accident that they have similar sound and build quality.

Perhaps, too, it's not so much that Furch has an "Irish vibe" as that the Irish-built guitars have a "European vibe"? I am on the cusp of ordering a Mats Nordwall (Swedish luthier) cittern and have played one of his 12-string guitars but other than that my experience with European luthiers is sparse. There is, I think, a defined "Swedish" sound though perhaps that has more to do with their use of nylon bass strings on steel-string guitars and citterns. Check out Mats use of a hybrid bridge that includes both pins for ball-end and tied nylon strings.

I'm not averse to TUSQ and the saddle shaping and resultant intonation on the Stonebridge/Furch guitars is the best that I think I've ever seen so I have no plans to swap them out for bone. In my view, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Something, too, that hasn't been mentioned and that most North American guitar players will be impressed with (I know I am!) is that Furch-made guitars come with 1) a strap pin in the heel (where it's supposed to be) as well as 2) a fitted end strap pin that fits the already-drilled-for-a-pickup end block, 3) two spare ebony bridge pins, 4) two pre-made saddle shims, 5) five replacement frets, 6) a truss-rod tool (and the easy accessibility of the truss rod is another Furch feature) AND 7) a Hiscox case.

What's not to like?!?!

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion