The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Did you try searching the RECORD forum?
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM

The SM-57 is adequate to get a decent, usable sound from a wide variety of instruments. For a first mike, it is pretty forgiving of poor placement.

Depending on what you like to hear coming from your acoustic guitar, it may work well, or not... for my money, the high end is not high quality and that is a deal-killer for me.

Myself, I refuse to have an SM-57 on my guitar. I don't even like it for voice (use AKG 535 on stage). I like condenser mikes because even low cost mixers these days all have phantom power (unlike decades ago when one had to carry battery-powered phantom power boxes just in case).

That said, if you are just beginning with this, the SM-57 is not a bad place to start, and you'll own a microphone that you'll either use on other sources or sell/trade later. Look for a used one because it takes work to damage them!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification