The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Here's the thing, the price of a guitar is not in any way a reflection of how well one plays any more than the price of a motor vehicle reflects how competent the driver is. I don't really see the prices of a guitar as a continuum with a beginning and virtually no upper limit. I know that I've edged upwards in terms of what I'm willing to spend on a guitar, but I also know that I could spend more but choose not to. Just because we can spend more doesn't mean we're willing to spend more. I think we find our "sweet spots" in terms of our guitar expectations and what we're willing to spend to attain that sweet spot. I'm not sure why the OP sees the production of nicer guitars as a problem...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-15-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The problem is that better and best is a game you can never win, because whatever you have there might be something better and you will never know until you've bought them all.
The other way to look at it is you can win the game each and every time

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-15-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Man, truer words.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, I was living in San Diego and playing in a band. Depending on the venue we would make between $250 and $1500 a night (the latter at the larger, Gaslamp/downtown clubs. Usually we'd make about $400 a night, which was cool because we were a four piece bandand the math was easy.

I live in Florida now and, while I no longer gig myself, I have many friends who do. The highest amount paid by anyone around here, for one of the top-tier local bands, seems to be around $500. If you're not a known entity, you're lucky to get $250...
In 1988 I was doing jazz casuals in LA on bass for $50. In 2018 I was doing jazz casuals in LA for $50.

Back to the OP's point - people should play what they love, love what they play, and to quote Richard Feynman, "what do you care what other people think?" On the bass side of things, plenty of threads about price, and typically the boutique owners get criticized more than the inexpensive owners get looked down upon.

In Maslow's hierarchy, guitar ownership isn't really in the necessity category unless you make your rent playing it. The economic reality is that most who do music for a living are the least likely to be able to afford a boutique instrument. For everyone else, the ability to buy a 4 or 5 figure instrument depends on where a person is in their life.

And even if someone can afford one, they may choose not to buy one based on their priorities. Luck also comes into play, but usually it is more about priorities. Some people enjoy a few drinks every day, eat out often, buy new clothes and/or travel for vacations. That's all money that could go towards a nice instrument. The individual gets to make the choice.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-15-2022, 11:16 AM

The problem for me was that I didn't know what "better" or "best" was, for me anyway.

I thought I had found the "it can't get any better than this" guitar - several times - and then I found better.

At some point, that's kind of where GAS starts. Learning there must be something better out there and trying to find (or afford) it. That's also where the rationalizations start. It's the player, or you can't play to that guitar's potential, or since one can't afford it, it can't be that good, or this thing is "as good" or "good enough". Sometimes that leads to animosity or resentment, veiled or overt; but it's just rationalization to convince ourselves of something.

The solution for me was a guitar education. Going to a shop that carried as good as it gets, playing those guitars and listening. It dispelled my ignorance and let me set a reasonable goal. When you get to the top tier, there is no more "better or "best". There are just differences in tonal qualities, and in price, and in name on the label. There's certainly not a firm correlation between any of those differences.

I found the tonal qualities I was searching for. The sound I had in my head that I was looking for. I found it at the limit of the price I was willing to pay (fortunately).

Some may disagree with my preference, or rationalize my choice as right or wrong. I'm not really interested in investing the time to become a better player. I have no desire to be a musician. I just like messing with the strings on a wooden box and I enjoy the sounds that come out. One thing's for sure though, I'm content.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
In 1988 I was doing jazz casuals in LA on bass for $50. In 2018 I was doing jazz casuals in LA for $50.

Back to the OP's point - people should play what they love, love what they play, and to quote Richard Feynman, "what do you care what other people think?" On the bass side of things, plenty of threads about price, and typically the boutique owners get criticized more than the inexpensive owners get looked down upon.

In Maslow's hierarchy, guitar ownership isn't really in the necessity category unless you make your rent playing it. The economic reality is that most who do music for a living are the least likely to be able to afford a boutique instrument. For everyone else, the ability to buy a 4 or 5 figure instrument depends on where a person is in their life.

And even if someone can afford one, they may choose not to buy one based on their priorities. Luck also comes into play, but usually it is more about priorities. Some people enjoy a few drinks every day, eat out often, buy new clothes and/or travel for vacations. That's all money that could go towards a nice instrument. The individual gets to make the choice.

There was a cool music store in one of the towns I worked in back a while ago, they had a great acoustic section. The first time I ever saw Goodall and Santa Cruz acoustics was in that store.

The assistant mgr is a guy that I got know and used to talk regularly to when I would go there to while away a lunch hour or buy whatever was in need at the time.

He referred the highend section as the "Dentist's Guitars"

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Man, truer words.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, I was living in San Diego and playing in a band. Depending on the venue we would make between $250 and $1500 a night (the latter at the larger, Gaslamp/downtown clubs. Usually we'd make about $400 a night, which was cool because we were a four piece bandand the math was easy.

I live in Florida now and, while I no longer gig myself, I have many friends who do. The highest amount paid by anyone around here, for one of the top-tier local bands, seems to be around $500. If you're not a known entity, you're lucky to get $250...
Around here in the 90's ..Bars were about $40-50 a head... Private parties was where it was at about $100 each... We had one place during the winter that could only pay $25 each.....plus free drinks, So we used that place as a practice night ...

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 02-15-2022, 01:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

If I could only own instruments my talent deserves I’d still be playing a kazoo. So I’ve never let my skill level rule my guitar choices. I’m retired and am blessed to have the finances to purchase fine guitars. And a very supportive wife who bought me a D-28 as a retirement gift to start the journey. So are nice guitars wasted on a sub-par player like me? Nope. Owning superb guitars inspires me to play more…and thus become a better player.

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:05 PM

Get that i really do - when a guitar you want is like 5 grand
and you buy something that is so simalar and plays alot like it for under
a 1/5 of it ( yes under ) - that blows me away, and high quality grade solid wood to boot .

I don't even care about resale value -but honestly I think i could sell it for what it cost me -easily !
Old 02-15-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
If I could only own instruments my talent deserves I’d still be playing a kazoo. So I’ve never let my skill level rule my guitar choices. I’m retired and am blessed to have the finances to purchase fine guitars. And a very supportive wife who bought me a D-28 as a retirement gift to start the journey. So are nice guitars wasted on a sub-par player like me? Nope. Owning superb guitars inspires me to play more…and thus become a better player.

I’ll never buy into the “My talent only deserves this level of instrument/vehicle, etc.” line of thinking. If that were the case, lots of parents I see come through school traffic lines should be walking, due to their poor driving skills! Buy what you like and want and play it! A great instrument will only make you want to work harder!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-15-2022, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Reading these forums, it seems to me that we collectively come up with things to be concerned about that really don't deserve even a moment's thought. If, instead, we focus on playing what we have, we might be much happier overall because:

1. We will learn to want what we have.
2. We will get better and better at playing guitar in general.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-15-2022, 02:32 PM

Sometimes it isn't "something better" but "something different".
Old 02-15-2022, 02:33 PM

Life is short. Play what you love. Don't worry what other people have or don't have.

It's funny how people take shots at "dentist" gear. I need their skill from time to time.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Around here in the 90's ..Bars were about $40-50 a head... Private parties was where it was at about $100 each... We had one place during the winter that could only pay $25 each.....plus free drinks, So we used that place as a practice night ...
For 40 bucks, I think I'll stay home and watch NCIS reruns with the wife.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Human beings (at least here in the US) seem obsessed with comparing and ranking everything. I find that it is pretty much a useless pursuit. If I spent all of my time thinking that my music or playing was only worth something if it sounds like some Grammy winning player with a guitar on some list where some reviewers have placed a #1 next to it, I would probably never play a note.
I know that there may be guitars out there that sound better and play better than mine. So what?
I have had the good fortune to have a collection of guitars, new, custom, and used, covering a range of prices and there are some songs that I play where I reach for the $300 laminate over the $6K custom. So what?
I’ve said this before as have others on this forum: All of my guitars sound better as I improve as a player. My guitars have helped me do that but it is mostly, at this point, what I can pull from each instrument.
Best,
Jayne

As Sheryl Crow sang oh so wisely...

"It's Not Having What You Want...It's Wanting What You've Got"

Truer words....

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM

This is a multi-layered situation. We all have different needs, and they tend to change over time. We want new instruments for many reasons: because we're looking for a different sound, or more subtle tonal possibilities, or a different feel, or just because we want something new.

I think it's all fine as long as you're not spending your rent or food money. But it's also good to remember that the differences are pretty subtle as you reach into the big dollars prices. A better guitar can take your playing up a notch, but it's not automatic and it's not a night and day difference. For some players those subtle differences make a big difference in their enjoyment while making music, for some they make little to no difference and some can't hear them at all. My personal recommendation is to never spend money for quality you can't hear or appreciate.

There is a pretty wide spectrum of thought when it comes to expensive guitars. For some people it simply exceeds their comfort level. They have the money, but that's not where they are comfortable spending it. Some people don't have the money. It's all good. There is no requirement to constantly seek out a better instrument.

I live in the first house we purchased in 1976, drive my cars at least 10 years and own a pile of expensive instruments. That feels right to me, but it might be crazy for someone else.

The most important part will always be making the best music you can, the guitar is just a tool. Good tools are important, but not more important than the work.

And "more guitar than I deserve" is one of the craziest things I've heard. If you get a great burger do you think it's better than you deserve? Buy what brings you joy.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion