The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Default learn & master guitar

Has anyone here used Learn & Master Guitar with Steve Krenz? I just bought it because I heard some good reviews about it, but I'm wondering what you guys think of it... I'm a beginner on guitar.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM

I have always been curious about LAMG, too. I asked the same question while back and only got one response, so I take it that most on this board have not used it. Let us know what you think about it after you have tried it. I am using the fretboard workbook and fretboard logic right now, but would like a decent CD series to work with.
JS
____
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 AM

I intended to say DVD series rather than CD series.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM

I asked a friend about this during a jam session. He replied, "Nope don't need it. I've already mastered everything there is to master on the guitar."

He then turned to me and said, "Now can you show me how to do that danged B chord again?"
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

an online review:
http://www.reviewsnest.com/GuitarLes...ter_Guitar.htm
Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 PM

I own it. I use it. It's worth the price. I even paid more than what it currently sells for and I still think I got my money's worth. I originally bought it a year ago when I was a complete beginner, but I have only recently begun to work the course seriously. I'll be starting lesson 5/20 in the next couple of days. You should know that the course stresses learning to read music notation. It can be a little frustrating at first, but like playing guitar itself, it will yield great results with practice. L&MG is probably the most comprehensive program you can get. That said, it only gives broad overviews of various styles(blues, jazz, rock, and fingerstyle). The course mainly focuses on building a solid foundation for further advancement, kind of like undergraduate education. Even though L&MG covers a lot of ground, I still supplement my learning with other materials just to keep things fresh. I believe the publisher estimates that it should take a good year to complete the entire program.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:48 AM

I've got the course. I might be 25% of the way through it. He does stress reading music, and isn't as big into music theory (yet, anyway) as another DVD course that I have.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
He does stress reading music, and isn't as big into music theory (yet, anyway) as another DVD course that I have.
Which one is that?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Location: Charlotte, NC. It's cool but going to hell in a basket quick

I own it and have used as a basis for lessons that I've taught. He is big into reasing music and you have to learn that in order to follow the course. Of course, reading music is a good thing, but as an 18 year player I've never learned to read music.

If you're a beginner it is probably a very good program.

Breedlove Revival D-R Deluxe
Taylor 810-CE ES
Taylor T5
PRS Custom 22
Taylor Baby (the wife's, uh, my camping, guitar)
More gear & amps than I can haul
Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee420 View Post
Which one is that?

http://www.absolutelyunderstandguita...n-contact.html

VERY heavy into theory.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I figured you were referring to that one. L&MG definitely stresses technique more than theory. That much is clear even if you thumb through the lesson book. Right now I'm waiting for a reply to an email I sent to the folks at Absolutely Understand Guitar. I'm very close to ordering, it's just a matter of which package. I'll continue to work with L&MG either way, though. I sure wish that these programs had been around when I tried(and failed) to pick up guitar as a teenager.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:37 AM

I am using LMG and am currently about halfway through (lesson 10 of 20). I have found the instruction to be very sound and the instructor, Steve Krenz is pretty "straight up" in his presentation, letting the students know that this requires a lot of effort and there are few short cuts!

My only minor complaint is that each lesson tends to spend the majority of time on the simplest concepts & techniques and gives the more difficult ones short shrift. Sometimes I feel the instruction is not sufficient to complete all of the "assignments" i.e., songs in each chapter.

As I get further into the course, I realize that a video series is no match for live instruction; but, that said, LMG is excellent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion