The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM

One of you two should just knock this sh*t off.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm loving it, 2 men, passionate about guitars, intelligently arguing about the way they go about describing them and the way they represent themselves and their viewpoints!! It don't get any better than this. Unless of course you want to go back to -- Can anyone recommend the best guitar for about 5 c notes?
Martin dm 112
Carvin h2 holdsworth

Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.
Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Idiot?
Easy there, tiger. I'm on your side ... ... read it again. Calm down ... methinks thou dost protest too much. I have a 1984 Takamine EF349 'hog dread, and a Breedlove Atlas. Both of 'em new wouldn't buy me many of the guitars discussed on this forum.
I really don't care what anyone else thinks of 'em, they make me happy. But I don't claim either of 'em to be as good as or better than anything else.

I played a nice AJ500 in sunburst at the local GC. I could've had it for ****. It was tempting, but I managed to struggle to the door before I succumbed to GAS. But ... it wasn't the same as the Gibson Advanced Jumbo I'd playing just moments before. Just sayin' ... y'know ...

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-10-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: price discussions not allowed on the forum
Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 PM

I own the same AJ 500 M in natural finish (gloss top). Bought it at GC and I honestly think it's one of the easiest playing (really fun to play) guitars I've ever owned. Has a wonderful woody dark tone unlike any of my other guitars and is, IMHO, a "great" guitar! There; I said it.

However, nobody has touched on one point about Epi Masterbilts and other inexpensive guitars (especially china/japan-made acoustics). And this is not just my opinion, it comes from a very well respected Luthier here in Michigan that use to be at Elderly and now has his own shop. He told me about Materbilts, said they're fine guitars and just can't beat em for the money. But, he said that you need to keep one thing in mind when buying a guitar like that. If it ever needs a neck re-set or some major kind or repair, because of how they're built and constructed it will most likely not be easy to do. Because of this it could be much more costly to repair the guitar than the guitar is worth (meaning you could practically buy a new one for the cost of the repairs).

So you might want to look at it this way, It's a great guitar but I know I wouldn't spend a lot of dough repairing mine, if it ever needs major work done. In this regard you can't really compare it to a high-end guitar that costs thousands, where the repair costs can be justified.

Still, I love mine and would buy another in a heart-beat if it were lost, stolen or damaged. GREAT guitar!

By the way, I had the pickguard removed on mine which is also an area where they skimped on costs. It's has a pixelated coating that gives it that tortoise look, rather than a true pickguard like a Greven that's made from faux tortoise shell material. I hated the looks of it and the shape of it and it's now gone (thanks to my Luthier). Looks much better with out it IMHO.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 PM

what, exactly, does your guitar builder/repair person friend refer to? Dove tail neck joint? That's a common "complaint" about Martin guitars and other guitars that employ a dove tail neck. On the other hand, a lot of folks think a dove tail makes for a better sounding guitar. But when you mention neck reset and more difficult and all that, that is usually what people are referring to, and if that's the case with the new Epi Masterbilts, I would be even more inclined to want one because of the dove tail design. But you are right that resetting a dove tail neck joint can be costly. I can appreciate not wanting to spend $500 to repair a $450 guitar.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 PM

The problem I've read about concerning neck resets on import guitars has to do with the use of epoxy in the neck joint, which does not release when heat and steam are applied. This should not be the case with the Masterbilts, as the neck joint is done with hide glue. However, it is still an expensive repair compared to the cost of the guitar. I personally would not hesitate to spend the money were it nescessary down the road, assuming I had the money at that time. To me a favorite guitar is worth more than it's monetary value (to a point).

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing

Last edited by oldgeezer; 12-11-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I can't spell for crap!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Learn to be your own luthier, including doing your own refrets, neck resets, etc. None of it is really all that hard to learn. Problem solved.

Sugar Bear
Old 12-11-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
what, exactly, does your guitar builder/repair person friend refer to? Dove tail neck joint? I can appreciate not wanting to spend $500 to repair a $450 guitar.
He didn't really go into detail, per se. He just mentioned that it can be more difficult to do some repairs on imports and inexpensive guitars and thus the cost would be of where it may not make sense to repair said guitar, when you could buy a new one for the same price or maybe less. Just made mention of it.

If my Epi only lasts 10 years then starts to fall apart, I still won't regret buying it. But most likely won't spend mega-bucks on repairs, either. Great guitar; I love my AJ-500 M, but I'm not "in love" with it!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Learn to be your own luthier, including doing your own refrets, neck resets, etc. None of it is really all that hard to learn. Problem solved.

Sugar Bear
and your own dentist as well! While your at it, learn to build your own televisions too!

you crack me up Sugar!

Sammy
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Wow, what a read!

I have a ten year old Epiphone AJ28S I purchased new in '98 which to me is GREAT! Bought it because I couldn't afford a J45. Now that I'm a bit better off and looking at J45's ten years later, I stumble onto this thread and thinking seriously about another Epi

Is the tone similar between the two guitars?
My main reason for the J45 is that I have had a hard on for Jeff Tweedy's sounds for so long now I'm hurting!

Thanks for the review Sugar Bear.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiktune View Post
Now that I'm a bit better off and looking at J45's ten years later, I stumble onto this thread and thinking seriously about another Epi

Which two - you mean the AJ500M and the Gibson J-45? Well, the woods used apart, they seem to be different beasts. The J-45 is of course short scale but I'm not aware of any Epiphone acoustics that are.

Richard
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 AM

just in case any1 is interested. i have a aj500r that is about 2 months i old i plan on posting in the sale section today or tomorrow.unexpected bills came up and need to let it go.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by re17 View Post
Which two - you mean the AJ500M and the Gibson J-45? Well, the woods used apart, they seem to be different beasts. The J-45 is of course short scale but I'm not aware of any Epiphone acoustics that are.

Richard
Thanks for the info, I've never been at all interested in things like "short scale" and woods before so I guess I've got some learning to do....usually I'd just pick it up and play it. I realise that the wood determines the tone and having read your post I suppose I could have easily laid down a bunch of green and bought a J45 that sounds nothing like what I wanted.

So will the J45 be a warmer/darker tone compared to an AJ500M? I know it's a good idea to go out and audition guitars but let me tell ya, finding a J45 on a rack in Sydney is about as rare as hen's teeth! And I've NEVER seen a Masterbilt either......both of these would have to be ordered in if you want one, which is why I spend time lurking forums to find out as much as I possibly can. :-(
Old 04-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiktune View Post
Wow, what a read!

I have a ten year old Epiphone AJ28S I purchased new in '98 which to me is GREAT! Bought it because I couldn't afford a J45. Now that I'm a bit better off and looking at J45's ten years later, I stumble onto this thread and thinking seriously about another Epi

My main reason for the J45 is that I have had a hard on for Jeff Tweedy's sounds for so long now I'm hurting!

Thanks for the review Sugar Bear.
They say that you should consult your doctor if any "condition" persists for more than four hours.

Just sayin'
Old 04-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by re17 View Post
The J-45 is of course short scale but I'm not aware of any Epiphone acoustics that are.

Richard
The Epiphone EL-00 is short scale. I've got one and after a saddle/nut swap, this guitar is fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion