The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
You know, I notice (of what I've seen) that most fingerstylists tend to be instrumentalists. Is it uncommon to pair vocals with fingerstyle guitar? I guess you can tell I'm underexposed.
Seiously underexposed. "Fingerstyle"'s not some odd new thing. People have been fingerpicking and singing for as long as the instrument's been around. Even the guitar's predecessors, like the lute, were picked and sung with back in the middle ages. Heck, even Stairway To Heaven was fingerstyle with vocal :-)
Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Seiously underexposed. "Fingerstyle"'s not some odd new thing. People have been fingerpicking and singing for as long as the instrument's been around. Even the guitar's predecessors, like the lute, were picked and sung with back in the middle ages. Heck, even Stairway To Heaven was fingerstyle with vocal :-)
Dah! I wasn't thinking of that, and the Jim Croce's who have gone before us. I guess I'm not as underexposed as I thought.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Of course im sure you already know their are many style of fingerstyle guitar - here's a few dvd's that might be of interest :

1.) Great guitar lessons- fingerstyle techniques ( Homespun) 7 different lessons from 7 different teachers - a few of these are dated but will show you a wide variety of style and techniques -even muriel anderson on classical ( shes fantastic by the way )

2.) Guitar Artistry of Tony Mcmanus - not a lesson DVD persay , but a concert -Easy to pick up stuff by watching a Master -Tony is one of the Best - quite possibly my favorite DVD of all

3.) The blarney Pilgrim -( Celtic fingerstyle volume #2 )another concert style DVD - but with 7 different Artists ( including Piere Bensusan -phenominal guitarist )

4.)Ramble to Cashel -(Celtic fingerstyle volume #1 ) simalar to the blarney pilgrim - super concert style

Im kinda slanted towards Celtic style -because i play mostly DADGAD - kinda makes my 6 string sound like a 12 string - really think its a funky tuning
Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Great stuff, Rick.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion