The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2022, 03:45 PM

Default Budget Vacation/Lake/Camping Dred for Strumming

Hi all,
Have a few get together/vacations/long weekends planned for this year and looking for a budget friendly but good sounding dred to bring along, mostly for strumming.
I have a few nicer acoustics but this one will be for passing around and playing with the guys in less than ideal conditions. I still want it to sound and have a good action, but one I won't freak out if the guy who walks through screen doors picks it up. Seems like the Yamaha FS and FGX 800 series are quality instruments for the price (sub $350). Are there any others you would recommend?

Thanks,
Hawk
Old 02-27-2022, 03:55 PM

Hawk, the Yamaha FG800 is a great choice. I'd also look for a Seagull S6 or a Simon & Patrick dread. Buy used if you can since your dollars will go farther.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

You might get lucky and find a used Alvarez MD60BG close to that price. I found mine for about $425 and it's a monster guitar for the money. Nothing can touch it in that range.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:11 PM

We recently purchased a new FGX800. I see both FG versions all the time on GC/MF used for around $225.

I can't imagine anything in this price range sounding any better if you like the specifications. I don't consider these budget guitars in any way. My daughter chose hers over some more expensive guitars in comparative audition. Ours has a really nice walnut fretboard and bridge. I like this as well as any rosewood/ebony alternative I have encountered.

I walked by the other night, and she was playing the first parts of Classical Gas. I really had a moment where I was contemplating if this guitar was as good as any in the house. Of course, my house guitars may not rise to the level of some others.

Depending on the retailer's level of presale set-up, you may find some adjustments are needed. We had to adjust relief and file the nut slots, but we purchased from the big box. The action was an acceptable low measurement from the factory.

Good luck in finding one for the road and enjoy your travels!

Best,

Mac
Old 02-28-2022, 06:14 AM

If you keep an eye on the MusiciansFriend Stupid Deal of the Day, usually some low end guitar will pop up that would make for a nice disposable guitar.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

You can’t go wrong with a Yamaha (I’ve had an FG420A for 30+ years), but if you’re looking for an alternative you should look at some of the Ibanez guitars in that price range. I wanted to have an inexpensive right-handed guitar around for relatives or guests to play when they’re visiting, and I ended up getting an Ibanez AW54OPN for a great price at a local guitar store.

I would also recommend looking for a used Yamaha in that price range to maximize your bang-for-the-buck.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
...I'd also look for a Seagull S6 or a Simon & Patrick dread...
What he said...
Old 02-28-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hawk, the Yamaha FG800 is a great choice. I'd also look for a Seagull S6 or a Simon & Patrick dread. Buy used if you can since your dollars will go farther.
That pretty much covers it right there. Godin if COA matters to you or you dont like skinny necks, Yamaha if you dont care about either of those things.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Excellent! Thanks everyone!
Old 02-28-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
Excellent! Thanks everyone!
One more thing about the Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitars - they're made in Canada. They're part of the Godin family of guitars along with Art & Lutherie, Norman, and La Patrie. Worth checking out.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty jaded about what I want to play, so I go looking for a Guild D 25 from the 70-80s. They are pretty robust from 76 on, and likely dinged up enough to be worry free. Plus they sound good and would be a very gigable and satisfying guitar.

I'm reluctant to own a guitar just for occasional events.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-28-2022, 04:29 PM

Default Seagull, Recording King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
Hi all,
Have a few get together/vacations/long weekends planned for this year and looking for a budget friendly but good sounding dred to bring along, mostly for strumming.
I have a few nicer acoustics but this one will be for passing around and playing with the guys in less than ideal conditions. I still want it to sound and have a good action, but one I won't freak out if the guy who walks through screen doors picks it up. Seems like the Yamaha FS and FGX 800 series are quality instruments for the price (sub $350). Are there any others you would recommend?

Thanks,
Hawk
No argument re the Yamaha choices - for value per $ and consistency they can't be beat. But here's a few more ideas...

Seagull Entourage Rustic. I bought one for $200 in decent shape a few years ago, just to take camping. Love the gentle sunburst. Really pleasant sounding and easy playing guitar. The only reasons I flipped it later were (primarily) I prefer a lap-friendly ax for camping - parlor to 000 size - and just too many dang guitars all around the house. Now I'm seeing them in the $600 range which makes no sense, there's one in "good" condition at a GC in Columbia SC for $230

Recording King Dirty Thirties Series 9 Recording King (RDS-9-TS) or Series 7 (RDS-7-TS) dread, $250 (solid spruce top) / $180 (lam top). No personal experience with that model but I've had my Dirty Thirties Series 9 Single 0 for 10 years and will never let it go. Solid spruce top, happy tone. I crammed (it really didn't fit, had to chip the soundhole wood slightly to get it in there) an entry level Fishman PU in it and have used it on many gigs. Here it is on my John Prine tribute
https://youtu.be/U19NE7CcjtU
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 02-28-2022, 04:36 PM

Be sure to take a look at the Eastman PAC line of guitars.
I would think that one of these guitars in the shaded top would be a great Beach/Travel guitar.
https://reverb.com/item/39855498-eas...coustic-guitar
Old 03-01-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
You might get lucky and find a used Alvarez MD60BG close to that price. I found mine for about $425 and it's a monster guitar for the money. Nothing can touch it in that range.
I bought one new and though it always sounded great it took a year for me to appreciate the form.

If you want all solids there is eastman ED1 and ED2. Something is missing from higher end but they are really good.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

The Breedlove Discovery Series dreadnoughts are excellent! Not the CE version, just the bottom-of-the-line dreadnought. They sound far better than one would expect, and Breedlove is a great company for backing their instruments...

Sitka or mahogany over mahogany bodies... last I priced them, they were coming in at ~$350...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion