The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Martin BackPacker or other travel guitar?

Hi Everyone,

I'm originally from a very cold area (Buffalo NY) but now live in FL. The next time We head North we're doing it right. An Alaskan Cruise in July. There is no way I'm taking my good Martin. 10 days of looking at beautiful scenery with out playing guitar? Not gonna happen. I have several dreads but some are not road worthy and I worry about airline damage. Does anyone have a Martin back packer? or another good somewhat decent travel guitar? Any insight would be really great.

Thanx in advance

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 PM

I have a friend who had a Martin backpacker. It was horrible.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM

If $$ isnt an issue, the Furch Little Jane is a nice innovation. Compact, and folds away and all.

The demo where the guy just fixes it up and strums it all in tune is just neat
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM

I have a nylon string Backpacker, bought it off eBay for less than $100 and I think the most appealing thing about it is that it's so small and lightweight. It certainly isn't a stage instrument but for campfire, in a boat or in the car it works OK. Tunes well and doesn't have a great tone but what do you expect from a guitar that's about the size of an inflatable raft paddle.

If that's your choice buy a used one.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 PM

I bought a Journey Ovheread OF420B last fall and have now completed three trips with it. I have been able to carry it on ten flights (including regional jets, on three occasions) without any issue - it is within the restrictions for a carryon. When put together, due to the extra body volume with the Manzer wedge design, it is every bit as loud as my Martin 000-15 custom. Much more expensive than a Martin Backpacker, but many times the guitar. If you want to really go first-class, they have a carbon fiber version as well.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

FP, there are mush better options than the backpacker, especially of the carbon fiber variety which are well-suited for travel with no effects of humidity or anything else to worry about. But first...how much are you willing to spend?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM

The Backpacker is great for, well, backpacking. Not good for much else. If you have the money, look at carbon fiber.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 PM

If you want a more traditional guitar go with a 00 Eastman or similar sized Alvarez...maybe an inexpensive parlir. I love Martins, just not that one...

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-13-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Bashing.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I own a backpacker. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it fits easily in the overhead bin.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Go for a Voyage-Air guitar. I travel with my VAD-04 and never have any problems with airlines as it comes with a backpack that fits in the overhead bin. It’s a full sized guitar in a foldable design.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Unfortunately I used to have a Backpacker.
Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Yuck!

Get a Baby Taylor.
It actually sounds/plays/feels like a guitar.

Better yet, get the Big Baby Taylor.
It actually sounds/plays/feels like a good guitar, probably in-part because it has a full scale of 25.5".
Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
FP, there are mush better options than the backpacker, especially of the carbon fiber variety which are well-suited for travel with no effects of humidity or anything else to worry about. But first...how much are you willing to spend?
Well my budget is low as I recently purchased a Martin HD-28V in Feb. of this year. I don't think any thing over $300 would be in my budget at this point. She loves me very much and understands that she married an aspiring guitarist. But we are a fairly young couple with a child so after the large purchase in Feb. I'd rather go economical here. I was thinking a used back packer and if something happened to it oh well. Any other suggestions?

Best

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 PM

People get all bent out of shape about the Backpacker. A friend of mine hated his. That didn’t stop me from getting my own. I’m glad I did. It’s just fun.

I take my Backpacker places I would never take my other guitars. It’s been to the woods, to the beach, in hot cars, in cold cars, in the hands of grandkids, around out-of-control pets, at picnics, in light rain, and next to campfires. I never worry about it. It didn’t cost enough to worry. Under $200 new. A lot less for used from someone who hated theirs.

Does it sound like a good guitar? No, but it plays and sounds good enough for how I use it. I also play banjo, ukulele, and dulcimer. Those don’t sound like my good guitars either. I just like to play stuff. When my wife and I travel, I often have the Backpacker, and sometimes a uke.

Within the context of your budget and demands, the Backpacker might be a nice solution. Just adjust your expectations accordingly.

Yes, there are better guitars for travel. Carbon fiber travel guitars seems like a great way to go. They cost more. I’d rather put more money into my better instruments, hence the Backpacker.

opencee

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
Well my budget is low as I recently purchased a Martin HD-28V in Feb. of this year. I don't think any thing over $300 would be in my budget at this point. She loves me very much and understands that she married an aspiring guitarist. But we are a fairly young couple with a child so after the large purchase in Feb. I'd rather go economical here. I was thinking a used back packer and if something happened to it oh well. Any other suggestions?

Best

FP
With your stated budget, I agree with Tico in his recommendation of a Big Baby Taylor. New is a little more, but you can find one used.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
I was thinking a used back packer and if something happened to it oh well. Any other suggestions?

FP
One of the LX Little Martins.

You can usually find one used for around 240. Much better sounding than the backpacker, and actually playable. Better guitar than the Baby Taylor (IMO). Had a Baby Taylor and traded it for a Mexi-Strat.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion