The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 09:53 PM

A lot of talk about guitar manufacturers, (and rightly so) in this thread about sustain and decay with no mention of strings. I’ll venture to say that strings contribute at least just as much to affect sustain and decay. However, not one mention of strings. To me, string selection is still a black art. So many choices. No set of strings sounds the same on different guitars. The same set of strings sounds different on the same guitar 2 weeks after putting them on. If guitars were more predictable they wouldn’t be as fascinating. Lifelong pursuit……..perfect!

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 12-04-2021, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

I'll admit I roll my eyes sometimes when I hear a video or demo where a chord or note is hit and they makes a big deal that you can still hear it 6+ or 7+ seconds later. Sure I guess to some extent, sustain may indicate a guitar is lively (not tight) and responsive, but there are very few instances where I need/want notes to ring on for a long time. In particular, when recording I find excessive sustain is usually a nuisance, except when it's part of a "fade" at the end...IMHO.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I have always marveled at the volume and decay time of my (Maple) Gibson J-185

Upon receiving my OM-28, off the bat I wasn't crazy about it. Till I got the action and intonation where I wanted it.

Though nowhere near as loud as the J-185. I am amazed at the length of sustain.

Have timed a final D chord at the end of a song to over 20 seconds, with the OM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4640W View Post
A lot of talk about guitar manufacturers, (and rightly so) in this thread about sustain and decay with no mention of strings. I’ll venture to say that strings contribute at least just as much to affect sustain and decay. However, not one mention of strings.
Except in the first post.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 12-04-2021, 11:24 AM

I want to thank all of you guys for your kind participation in this interesting thread.
It confirm my experience playing fingerstyle melodies over the last fifteen years.
I came to understand why my all-Mahogany ladder-braced Lg-0 would never
show good sustain while my great back and sides Rosewood X-braced Larrivee
OM-09 delivers so much sustain and showed me that earlier sustain decay
became my wake-up sign to change "aging" strings.
How my Gibson was a "strummer" while my Larrivee was a melody maker.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I like sustain, in general, and when I don't need it, I know how to damp the strings to stop unwanted sound.

I have a Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice with excellent sustain, unlike many larger Gibsons.

I am not attracted to guitars without sustain.

- Glenn
Exactly. I will not buy a guitar without sustain as they don't work for my style. I guess I don't play much thumpy music.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-04-2021, 04:55 PM

Imho, I hear sustain, I hear quality. Simple as that.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Getting guitars with good sustain changed what I enjoyed playing and how I played it. I used to play mostly ragtime and a few slow melodies, now it’s the opposite way round.

Whilst a combination of left and right hand muting kills the sustain on faster numbers there is no substitute IMO on ragtime blues to having a guitar with short decay. The sound is different to just muting - horses for courses - is a flat racer better than a show jumper?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 12-05-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I play a lot of bluegrass. The nature of the music that I play begs for short quick staccato notes, so sustain isn’t a quality that we look for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
... there is no substitute IMO on ragtime blues to having a guitar with short decay. The sound is different to just muting
Interestingly you don't see a lot of archtops in those styles, which should accommodate that shorter non-muted decay. It does fit with the use of resonators in blue[gras]s.

I did read somewhere that Merle Travis played an archtop but haven't yet looked to substantiate that claim.

I loved how my minijumbo opened up when I put TI Plectrums on her (like the OP; AC111 in my case). I still appreciate the soundbath she gives me, and the big dynamic and tonal range, but I've begun to feel hindered by the almost cathedral sustain in polyphonic aka (more) classical repertoire where too much need for muting can become a handicap. Looking forward to getting an archtop and see how that works out!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-05-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Much will depend on your style of play. I’m a flatpicker and I play a lot of bluegrass. The nature of the music that I play begs for short quick staccato notes, so sustain isn’t a quality that we look for.
.....and yet, the Martin HD-28 has become the standard bluegrass guitar. I bought mine for bluegrass. And it has quite a bit of sustain (unless I control it).

Funny how my Altamira gypsy jazz guitar (Sel-Mac copy) was made for short quick LOUD staccato notes and gets funny looks at a bluegrass jam. Even though it has all the traits us bluegrassers say we want....
Old 12-05-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

…like Norman Blake once said…I like a guitar that spits out a big note and gets out of the way….I love the sound of long sustaining modern finger style guitars when someone else is playing them….but they don’t suit my style on most of what I play…..electrics on the other hand….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion