The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-01-2024, 11:43 AM

Default Ergoplay Troster users >> How to get suction cups into position?

Hi, all.

For you Ergoplay Troster users....I just got one in the mail this weekend and am struggling with getting the suction cups into position on the support. Is there a trick?

Note...not asking about how to attach the support to the guitar. This is about how to get the darned cups to slide in their channel and up into position so that the entire support can then be attached to the guitar.

Thank you!

Mark
Old 04-01-2024, 05:12 PM

Eh, never mind. Got it.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwallace1966 View Post
Eh, never mind. Got it.
Glad you got it sorted out. I just grip them close to the base and move them with a twisting motion.

I have only one Troster. The Tappert works fine for my preferred neck angle.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
Glad you got it sorted out. I just grip them close to the base and move them with a twisting motion.

I have only one Troster. The Tappert works fine for my preferred neck angle.
That's basically what I had to do too. Surprised that it took that much force, but it's fine.

I am new to classical guitar, so this new guitar position is already weird for me. Doing it with a guitar support makes it even weirder. I'm workin' on it though.

When you say that the Tappert worked better for your neck angle....could you expound?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 04-02-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
When you say that the Tappert worked better for your neck angle....could you expound?
The Tappert simply elevates the neck and that's enough for me.

The Troster does the same but, depending on how much you extend the smaller arm and where you rest the lower bout on your leg, it also gives you the option of raising the entire guitar with a less steep neck angle. It's an added flexibility that I realized that I don't need (but other players might).

I'd hazard a guess that the Tappert covers the needs of most classical guitarists. It costs less too.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
The Tappert simply elevates the neck and that's enough for me.

The Troster does the same but, depending on how much you extend the smaller arm and where you rest the lower bout on your leg, it also gives you the option of raising the entire guitar with a less steep neck angle. It's an added flexibility that I realized that I don't need (but other players might).

I'd hazard a guess that the Tappert covers the needs of most classical guitarists. It costs less too.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll see how things go with the Troster. The guitar feels pretty high up for me, but then (again as a newbie), having the neck any higher than parallel to the floor is new to me.

Mark
Old 04-03-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The guitar feels pretty high up for me, but then (again as a newbie), having the neck any higher than parallel to the floor is new to me.
Alexandra Whittingham's neck angle is rather steep for ME. The top end of her guitar's nut is above eye level.

My neck angle puts the guitar at eye level or slightly below. It's worth mentioning however that the Tappert can push the guitar's angle as high as Ms. Whittingham's preference.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 04-03-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:30 PM

But be glad that it's not standard for us to play in the cello position (even if some folks prefer it).

Old 04-03-2024, 03:31 PM

I just went to a performance last night including cello and had the same thought.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:42 PM

I use the Troster on my classical and on my steel string guitar like the new video below.

It's a fussy thing to adjust but it is very versatile. I also like how it can hold the guitar in this position with only my upper right arm on the upper bout. My hands can be anywhere and it says put.

The LJ36 has a nitro finish so I take it off when done and wipe the residue from the suction cups off the guitar with a wet microfiber cloth. Is there a better way to protect nitro from suction cups?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
cups, ergoplay, troster