The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 12:55 PM

Default High End Acoustic Guitar Repairmen near Sac?

The luthier to whom I took guitars for 20 years is solely focused upon building now. He's given over the repair work to another guy, who I asked to lower the action "a little bit" on my Boucher BG52GM. He went WAY overboard. It practically felt like an electric when he was done. I took it back and he shimmed it but it's not right -- buzzing and weird metallic overtones at some locations on neck. I need someone who actually know what they're doing to start over with a new blank.

I may have to bite the bullet, face the Bay Area's insane traffic and take the guitar to Gryphon but before I do, I'm wondering whether anyone is aware anyone closer to Sacramento.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:14 PM

Can't help you out with someone near Sacramento, but can recommend two in San Francisco (save you 30+ minutes drive down to Palo Alto).

San Francisco Guitar Tech Jermey's done work for me a couple times; I was able to just hang out while he worked. (And would be easy to "pop" off the Freeway to his shop.)

Balboa Guitars - Instrument Repair (I just check Google maps, and getting to Mark's shop may almost be a wash in drive time, due to location in the City.)

Gryphon, I've heard, has a great reputation. And you'd have the added bonus (or curse) of lots of instruments to keep you busy.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-24-2024, 02:27 PM

Never used him myself, but lots of people seem to have good things to say about Arnie Gamble.

I can't think of their names, but the California Bluegrass Association has a luthier's pavilion at their Father's Day festival each year. I'm sure at least one of them is from the Sac area. You could check with the CBA. I now a lot of people in the org use those vendors to do work on very expensive instruments.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
Can't help you out with someone near Sacramento, but can recommend two in San Francisco (save you 30+ minutes drive down to Palo Alto).

San Francisco Guitar Tech Jermey's done work for me a couple times; I was able to just hang out while he worked. (And would be easy to "pop" off the Freeway to his shop.)

Balboa Guitars - Instrument Repair (I just check Google maps, and getting to Mark's shop may almost be a wash in drive time, due to location in the City.)

Gryphon, I've heard, has a great reputation. And you'd have the added bonus (or curse) of lots of instruments to keep you busy.

OK. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Never used him myself, but lots of people seem to have good things to say about Arnie Gamble.

I can't think of their names, but the California Bluegrass Association has a luthier's pavilion at their Father's Day festival each year. I'm sure at least one of them is from the Sac area. You could check with the CBA. I now a lot of people in the org use those vendors to do work on very expensive instruments.
I've come across Arnie's name before but know no-one who's had experience with him.

Thanks for suggestion re: CBA. Hadn't thought of that!
Old 04-24-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
I've come across Arnie's name before but know no-one who's had experience with him.

Thanks for suggestion re: CBA. Hadn't thought of that!
There are a lot of people that mention him on here. I realize that's not the same as personally knowing someone, but if you search his name there will be quite a few members you could reach out to for experiences.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:56 PM

Default luthier in Auburn (near Sacramento)

I have used a luthier, Cris, in Auburn with good success. He dressed the frets on my Taylor 214 and did a good job. Look on Craigslist under musicians, he advertises there.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
There are a lot of people that mention him on here. I realize that's not the same as personally knowing someone, but if you search his name there will be quite a few members you could reach out to for experiences.
OK. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I have used a luthier, Cris, in Auburn with good success. He dressed the frets on my Taylor 214 and did a good job. Look on Craigslist under musicians, he advertises there.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

The best tech I can name is Benny Rodriguez in Alameda.
https://www.bjrguitars.com/

Kevin Robertson is my usual go-to guy in Vallejo. Super ethical will often charge me less if the work was less than expected. He builds and restores guitars, but mostly works as a tech when not at his regular job at Mesa Boogie.
http://krguitars.com/KRGuitars/Home.html
Old 04-25-2024, 03:31 PM

Sorry, I am on the other coast.
A good Luthier is worth his weight in...um...guitars... I guess?
Old 04-25-2024, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if luthier/builder Bruce Sexauer, over in the Custom Shop section, might know someone to recommend? He's been in and around the larger Bay Area for, well, his whole life (or most of it) and is active in the NorCal luthiers group.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion