The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2023, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Newtone Monel - and then the bass arrived!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but monel strings in particular seem to wait until you've been playing 30 minutes or more before the bass turns up. But when it does......well, its lovely!

I have recently put on a set of medium gauge Newtone Master Class monel strings (round core) on my D-18. I have to say that they are a little different to Martin monel strings. There seems to be less "edge" and more richness. I'm not sure why that is? Perhaps the monel alloy is a different mix to the one Martin uses (Monel does not have a fixed formula). I expect the wrap wire is from a European wire drawing company. Visually, the most notable aspect is that the cores are wrapped in the opposite direction to the set of Martin monel strings I have.

I bought them to try mainly because the gauges are better for my D-18 for my heavy playing style - they are a classic medium 13,17,26,36,46,56

Anyway, they seem to have what I love about monel but without the "edge" that I don't particularly like on this particular guitar. Sort of closer to pure nickel but with more bite and overtones.

I still have no idea what the physics is behind the bass not being there when you first put on the 6th and 5th strings, but then arriving after 30 mins or more playing time, and developing for a good few playing days thereafter?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 09-26-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Robin, I just looked on Newtone’s website, but they don’t specify Monel in Masterclass strings, just PB, 80/20, and ‘Nickel’.

Am I missing something (quite possible!)

EDIT: Ignore this daft old duffer - just found ‘em!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 09-26-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:47 AM

Hi Robin. I'd like to try them out sometime, but it appears that Newtone Strings are not available in the USA.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Hi Robin. I'd like to try them out sometime, but it appears that Newtone Strings are not available in the USA.
It's my understanding that us Yanks can buy them direct from Newtone.

However, if it's a good round-core monel string you seek, I recommend Curt Mangan (and thus support a small US business in Colorado).

I've been using them for years on my mahogany b/s guitars - and I love 'em.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Here you go - order direct from the makers…even in the UK it’s the only way to obtain them. Newtone are a very small (2-man) business, their strings are hand-made, often to individuals’ order…

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...v=79cba1185463

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-26-2023, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I've ordered direct as well and love them. Also can sometimes find them in stock at the Guitar Gallery and the 12th Fret.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Love, love, love Newtones roundcore. I use masterclass roundcore, the double wound & monel.

Beautiful tones from these strings. And you can custom order any gauge you want. You can order a medium gauge set with one or two strings heavier or lighter than standard medium.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm quite curious how they'd fare on my Kalamazoo KG-21. I have Martin Retro mediums at the moment and have used John Pearse pure nickel and Martin 80/20 before. I may have to investigate next time I change strings.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 09-26-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
It's my understanding that us Yanks can buy them direct from Newtone.

However, if it's a good round-core monel string you seek, I recommend Curt Mangan (and thus support a small US business in Colorado).

I've been using them for years on my mahogany b/s guitars - and I love 'em.
Do you recommend the round core or hex core strings?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion