The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
I just tried to order online, it rejected the payment.
It kicked my payment too.

I'm going to try JPStrings https://www.jpstrings.com/brnew.htm
Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This seems to cover it, by the inventor himself.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=211518
That explains it pretty well. Also explains why vaseline or bag balm (which I've seen referred to as "souped up vaseline") is good to use before bed to moisturize and rejuvenate your skin. Not sure why it worked so well for cycling, but I guess it's slippery enough to reduce friction in sensitive areas. In any case, it worked brilliantly for that too.

So Guitar Hands cleanses your hands and makes them somewhat slippery so they glide over strings more easily. Some sort of creme or vaseline type product is good for nighttime. That's what I've been doing and find it works extremely well. Guess I'll keep doing it.

-Ray
Old 05-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Great, another solution looking for a problem. I wonder how many more products we can be expected to buy because they have the word 'guitar' in the description. So far we have 'guitar' nail files, seats, moisturiser. I'm sure there must be a few more 'essentials' we all need. Looks like L'Oreal missed a great marketing opportunity here...

Well, you are certainly free to pass on them and let the rest here who have found the product useful continue to enjoy the benefits. I never assume that just because something works for me that it will work for someone else. In fact, I learned about Guitar Hands when I shared that I was having a problem with cracked, dry skin and hardened calluses. I received several suggestions and it turned out that Guitar Hands was the product that worked best for me.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-06-2021, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Great, another solution looking for a problem. I wonder how many more products we can be expected to buy because they have the word 'guitar' in the description. So far we have 'guitar' nail files, seats, moisturiser. I'm sure there must be a few more 'essentials' we all need. Looks like L'Oreal missed a great marketing opportunity here...
I played guitar for a long time without any type of skin issues. I was young and I guess my fingers dealt with the stress and friction just fine. But after many years away from it, I started playing a lot again in my late 50’s. And suffice it to say I was having a lot of problems with my hands, callouses specifically. I used to sand my callouses almost daily to keep the grooves under control - strings would literally sometimes “snap” into the grooves in my callouses, which sounded terrible, and they’d occasionally get stuck there and kind of snap back out, which sounded worse. And they could sometimes crack and get painful.

At that point, it was a problem in search of a solution. And the combination of Guitar Hands before I played and Bag Balm at night has basically solved it. Maybe there are other solutions that would have worked as well, but I saw this stuff recommended here and tried it. I use about a tube a year on average it seems, and I’ve been working on the same tin of Bag Balm for several years now, so I’m spending maybe $20 a year to keep my hands feeling good while I’m playing. It’s a small price to pay. If you don’t need any of this stuff, feel free not to use it. But saying it’s a solution in search of a problem only means it hasn’t been a problem for YOU. YET. May you continue to be so fortunate...

-Ray
Old 05-01-2024, 09:58 AM

Is the manufacturer still in business? I bought some off Ed Gerhard’s website but the manufacturer website wouldn’t load for me.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-01-2024, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I don't use any manufactured product for skin lotion. Instead, I make my own! It's incredible inexpensive and easy to make...

Basically, I use half coconut oil and half Shea butter, melt in a jar in a double boiler until it's all clear liquid... then I put 20 or 30 drops of tea tree oil in it and mix thoroughly.

Take the jar/container out of the double-boiler, decant into smaller containers (if you want - I have a couple small ones for travel/gift-giving, and one big jar here at home.), then place the containers in the freezer for 20 minutes or so, to solidify the oil into cream.

A VERY small amount on a fingertip is good for both my entire hands; after I work it in thoroughly, it takes about 15 minutes for it to really get in the skin and soak in entirely. Then, I'm good to go for a long while!

I've tried adding various other ingredients to the mixture, but have found that adding most other organic substances (like aloe vera gel, mint oils or extracts) vastly shorten the "shelf-life" of the simple coconut/Shea butter mixture - which last well over a year without changing composition.

As with many items, the ones made for specific endeavors are extremely costly, and frequently are no better than a simpler, less costly solution. Using mineral oil for the fretboard of my guitar vs. buying some exotic fancy concoction with a nifty name, for instance.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-01-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
I just tried to order online, it rejected the payment.
I just tried to log in to the site, and it appears to be down.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

"It puts the lotion on it's skin..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gumb.jpg (12.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I went to the JP Strings site to order some. First attempt, shipping was almost the cost of the product. This time the website had free shipping. Yes, I bought some.

Last edited by PassingThru; 05-01-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:06 PM

silence of the lambs quote came to mind also
Old 05-02-2024, 12:08 AM

It's called "moisturizer" or "lotion" folks. They have them at Amazon, Target, Walmart...for cheap

Marketing. Just add "Guitar" to the label and charge $16.

What exactly does this product do that Lubriderm can't?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1 View Post
It's called "moisturizer" or "lotion" folks. They have them at Amazon, Target, Walmart...for cheap

Marketing. Just add "Guitar" to the label and charge $16.

What exactly does this product do that Lubriderm can't?

In my experience, Lubriderm feels nothing like Guitar Hands. Guitar Hands is not a lotion as much as a cleaner. It does not leave any sort of residue and absorbs into my skin better. If other products work for you, that’s great. I find that people have different skin chemistry and therefore different skin care needs. Mane & Tail is another good product that works for me.
If a cheap lotion works for folks no reason not to use those but for me, Guitar Hands is the Bee’s Knees! :-) A tube lasts me a year or so as I just need a bit to do the trick.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-02-2024, 11:23 AM

I use vaseline healthy hands stronger nails. Dries exceptionally fast, and really strengthens the nails. It's not greasy at all, in fact, I can't really feel it at all. I haven't noticed any residue whatsoever on my guitars.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:59 PM

I've tried a number of hand lotions for my ever-dry skin. At the advice of a fellow guitar player, I bought some Gold Bond Ultimate Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief, and it's been terrific! Best of all, it's available at my local grocery store and costs less than the $16 mentioned for the Guitar Hands Lotion.

Previously, I was a fan of Miracle Hand Repair, but now that Bed Bath & Beyond has gone to the great beyond, it's hard to find.

Online, both are available from Amazon. The Miracle Hand Repair is $12.83 for 8 oz. and the Gold Bond is $7.98 for a 13 oz. pump bottle.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Be careful with lotions and creams. My wife uses some kind of expensive hand lotion/cream from France that comes in little tubes. It smells great - BUT - it ruins leather. It ruined the leather steering wheel in her car and the interior leather door handles. It also took the finish off the radio volume knob. I hate to think what it would do to a nitro finish.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion