The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 04:57 AM

Default Good guitars for percussive acoustic?

I want try using my guitar for percussive acoustic playing so I can set the beat using a looper. I've got an OMC-15ME and a 214CE. The 214CE might be better for trying out being whacked on. Are there specific guitars which are built for whacking? I do not want to risk damaging mine.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 04-22-2024, 05:18 AM

Lol, I loosened a brace one time whacking out some Bob Marley. No real answer for you except go easy. T Emmanuel beats the heck out of his Matons though. Have fun!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:56 AM

I believe Ibanez has a John Gomm edition guitar that is built for percussive style playing. But, I suppose you could play percussive style on most any acoustic guitar. I play some percussive music on my guitars, and I actually like the 214ce a lot for this.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Play what you have. Fixing loose braces is not that costly.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:59 AM

You'll need a Rhythm guitar, not a Lead guitar. I'd recommend the Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky" model....it's a one hit wonder
Old 04-22-2024, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
I want try using my guitar for percussive acoustic playing so I can set the beat using a looper. I've got an OMC-15ME and a 214CE. The 214CE might be better for trying out being whacked on. Are there specific guitars which are built for whacking? I do not want to risk damaging mine.
Hi rabbuhl…

If you have an internal pickup - doesn't matter the model, and the illusion of 'whacked' (percussive play) can be synthesized rather than actually done at great volumes and risk to finish etc.

If you are just trying to 'relic' your guitar, go ahead, but I don't value guitars more which have been 'abused' (accidentally or on purpose).

I lowered the volume of my strumming decades ago by changing my technique and it's served me well in that it sounds 'louder' than it is, and it actually is only slightly louder than my finger styling. It is a real 'sound-tech' frustrater.

Also compression in the chain can increase the impact of the added percussiveness without making it abrasive to the ears (from an audience standpoint). I always ask myself "When is 'much' so much that it becomes 'too much'?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-22-2024, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

As long as you're not taking hammer to a guitar you should be good with any guitar. The signal chain is what you might consider. Is it a soundboard transducer which pick up body vibrations well, a mag, which picks up strings, A UST does both and/or a mic, each will have a different flavor?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-22-2024, 07:12 AM

My primary way of playing is percussive fingerstyle. Most any good guitar will work for you, but I do prefer woods on the mahogany side (sapele, maple, etc.). Guitars with less overtones will sound “cleaner” with the percussive playing, but also, a guitar with heavier overtones can provide a cool sound with the percussion (almost like a slight reverb effect, but it can be a little tougher to control). It’s all preference. I think a trip to a good guitar shop would be worth your time.

Edit: ah, you’re going direct. My advice was more for the unplugged sound or with mic.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:19 AM

+1 on percussive finger style. Also like a flamenco guitar with the golpeador for percussion.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:20 PM

Yamaha FGX730SCA. It's an older model and you'd need to find a used one. ART transducer pickups. Laminate b/s. Solid top. Mine is one of my favorite guitars. Piezo pickups under the bridge aren't the best for that style. Cole Clark would be my no. 1 recommendation due to its 3 way pickups. Yamaha FGX/FSX 3 or 5 with Atmosfeel might work ok too.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:25 AM

Thanks everyone. I had watched a few videos before and looked in horror the whacking that was going on. I've spared both guitars from such punishment by using backing tracks.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 04-23-2024, 04:54 PM

Ibanez makes a model specifically for this.
Ibanez ACFS580CE Acoustic-Electric Guitar

I have a Breedlove Premier concert model that does very well with this.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesalot View Post
T Emmanuel beats the heck out of his Matons though. Have fun!
John Butler also plays a Maton percussively, as shown in this video: OCEAN - John Butler - 2012 Studio Version

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-23-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesabgM4 View Post
Ibanez makes a model specifically for this.
Ibanez ACFS580CE Acoustic-Electric Guitar

I have a Breedlove Premier concert model that does very well with this.
That's interesting. Never heard of that Ibanez model. Thanks for the info, mesa.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:20 PM

Ever consider an archtop - they're designed to be punchy and percussive when played with a pick...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion