The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Back and sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
i believe those arched back D25's had laminate back/sides. i worked at the Westerly factory in the early 80's. always thought those Guilds were kind of heavy and chunky feeling, almost like a tank. still, they sounded pretty decent. i know they were still building them when i left there.
Hi Bill.

Almost. The sides are solid. The arched back was laminate, had to be for strength as you couldn't brace it. The backs on the flat back versions were solid as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM

I've got several guitars, and the D25 is my go to guitar. It has sustain that lasts for days (of course you have to like that....). Only downside is it will break up if strummed very heavily, I just don't do that. Mine is an '81 burst, I've had a new saddle put in and had the frets dressed. Money well spent as I bought the thing for $350. Guilds are typically a heavy guitar. A good set up will be worthwhile.

I had a D4, and though they appear to be built the same and have the same specs as a D25, the D4 is a very different sounding guitar from the D25. A lot of discussion on Lets talk guild about that. I don't know the answer.

Odd that there is no serial #.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM

The shape of the headstock can give a very general idea of when it was made. If it has a somewhat pinched shape ("snakehead") it was probably made in the 1990's. If it has a broader headstock, it's probably from the mid-1970's to the mid to late 1980's.

snakehead headstock

broader (older) headstock
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Definitely has the older headstock...helpful tip.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

In case any one cares, I was able to go back and take a second look at the guitar this past week. It actually DID have the serial number...I guess I just didn't look on the back of the headstock the first time I saw it.

I jotted down the SN and looked it up...it's a 1978. Clearly got some wear and tear and shows it's age, but it sounds amazing!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

He shoots, he scores.

I've got a D25-12 from 1990. It's a big heavy dread but has great tone and it's a player. I'd love a D25-6 or a D40.

Guild dreads are like black licorice. You either love them or hate them. No middle ground.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athana View Post
Sounds familiar.. was it a maple back & side Sitka topped guitar ?
In around later 1980's my wife & I bought a new arched back Guild dreadnaught
made in the USA for my brother in law.
We paid like $900 and had to pay an extra $100 for the case.
That was a good amount of cash back then but though it was the best we could afford..and he still has it..I think it sucks.
Regret not being able to get him something better its just in late 80's its the best we could do,
You're describing a G37 or D30. The G37 had a mahogany neck and D30 had maple necks. I own 2 D30's and they definitely don't suck.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Guild Headstock

The "paddle" style headstock was replaced by the "snakehead" in 1987. It is a easy way to make a quick guess on age. The Guild site also has a Date Your Guild PDF that is really helpful in nailing down the year.

'71 Guild D25BR Flatback
'73 Guild D35NT
'77 Guild D50NT
'81 Guild D-212 SB 12 String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion