The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM

Default Improving sustain

Hello all. I have a short scale, cedar top, lam. back and sides, with TUSQ saddle and nut, and plastic pins. Strings are Daddario PB Lights. I playing celtic flatpick music on this and mostly using Drop D tuning. I'm trying to find a way to improve the sustain of the low D string as I use it for the ringing drone note thoughout the flatpicked melody. I've read that round core strings help to add increased sustain - is this true? I'm also wondering if a bone saddle will help this? I have a bone saddle and pins on their way from Bob, just not here yet. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Hello all. I have a short scale, cedar top, lam. back and sides, with TUSQ saddle and nut, and plastic pins. Strings are Daddario PB Lights. I playing celtic flatpick music on this and mostly using Drop D tuning. I'm trying to find a way to improve the sustain of the low D string as I use it for the ringing drone note thoughout the flatpicked melody. I've read that round core strings help to add increased sustain - is this true? I'm also wondering if a bone saddle will help this? I have a bone saddle and pins on their way from Bob, just not here yet. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I'd suggest using a good vibrato...
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 AM

You might try using the next higher gage string to increase the tension a bit.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Sounds like an opportunity for some experimentation. Try your new saddle and pins, try a range of different bass strings, which you can buy as singles. Assuming that you're using your low D as an open drone with your flat picking , try the technique of using a spare right-hand finger to periodically reactivate the bass D drone as you flat-pick. Maybe even a left-hand finger.

I've never actually tried any of this stuff, incidentally. You just got me thinking about it.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Default Bone bridge pins

They provide better sustain than anything else. Or, at least, better than I ever heard.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM

Switching to bone is no guarantee of increased sustain, it could even reduce it.

The same applies to switching to a heavier gauge. A guitar has an optimum string tension range. Increasing the string tension too much, by going to a heavier gauge, can decrease sustain because the added tension has a dampening effect on the soundboard. In some cases, going to a lighter gauge string can actually increase sustain depending on where the standard gauge string falls within the optimum range of tension for a given guitar.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Just thoughts, Godin guitar..?

Dean Markley blue steel (Cryogenic) turbocharged on my S@P S6, thought I was Gary Moore. 70% sure you might like them.

Martin Silk and steels. maybe it was just on my FG but they made the G and D string too prominant...for about a week.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
I'd suggest using a good vibrato...
Hard to do with the open D string...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Switching to bone is no guarantee of increased sustain, it could even reduce it.

The same applies to switching to a heavier gauge. A guitar has an optimum string tension range. Increasing the string tension too much, by going to a heavier gauge, can decrease sustain because the added tension has a dampening effect on the soundboard. In some cases, going to a lighter gauge string can actually increase sustain depending on where the standard gauge string falls within the optimum range of tension for a given guitar.
I agree with this as moving to mediums on one of my dreads actually muted the tone of it. When I dropped the tuning down a whole step on it, it opened it up and increased sustain. I expected the opposite.

Yes, the guitar is a Godin - Seagull MJ, Andy. I didn't think that silk and steel would improve sustain... I'm all for the lighter feel I'll keep that in cosideration. What about brass bridge pins, no?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard to do with the open D string...
Hi Bryan…
I play in Dropped D about half the time.

Not saying strings may not help, fresh strings certainly sustain better than worn ones. But unless you increase mass of the bridge/saddle, you will not improve sustain...that's pretty inherent with the design of the instrument. I don't find string weight really impacts sustain in measurable ways.

I've not found bridge pins which add to mass without affecting tone as well (think brass). I think someone sells Titanium pins, and they might have better results on the tone than the brass do (they sound 'brassy'). If you don't have a bone saddle, that certainly might help some too in the clarity department.

I choose guitars up front for their ability to sustain since it greatly impacts my playing style. It is one of the must-have characteristics for my guitars. Sometimes if a guitar is a bit gutless, then I use a thumb pick to pick up the level and attack of the bass.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks, Larry. Titanium pins sound interesting, but I bet can be quite pricey, eh?

I have a bone saddle on the way for this guitar so will see how much it improves. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Larry. Titanium pins sound interesting, but I bet can be quite pricey, eh?
Hi Bryan…
When I began to realize my style was headed toward more sustain, then I began to seek out and commission guitars with a lot of sustain. They brought the biggest improvements.

No style, string or improvement in the world can bring a guitar with 5 sec of useful sustain up to 10 seconds of sustain.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Medium tension strings might help, as bone saddle might do.
However, if the guitar is not built for sustain (flamenco style, or just overbuilt with thick top and heavy bracing), then there is not much you can do.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Sometimes its just easier to look for another guitar -I tried abunch of these ideas ,only to find i changed my sound a bit , not for the worst or better- just changed it. Some guitars like Lowdens and Goodalls are kings of sustain -sometimes 12 fret long bodies do the trick as well -Id look around for less exspensive alternatives . A good excuse for adding another guitar !
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM

I'd got a WAHI NUT and Saddle and taken it in for a full set up after a face to face with the person who is actually going to work on it. That and med/heavy round core (not round wrap) strings, my favorite are Sunbeams by DR. I also buy a 14 & 18 to replace the 13 & 17. Singles are available from Just Strings:

http://www.juststrings.com/drstrings...lestrings.html

WAHI is the hard stuff, but if you have bone on the way, order a nut and take it in. The round core strings will likely give you more sustain and less drop of in tuning to. Some are like me and love 'em others, not so much. You just have to try different things to get to where you are happy.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._todd_s_review

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._tony_s_review

Here's a couple reviews from Maury's site (thank you sir), they have lots of reviews on different Strings.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion