The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
As the poster I didn’t realize how much attention this post would bring. But, now that the battery case/box is reattached I won’t have to replace the battery for 1000 hours, if you can believe the hype from LR Baggs.
Yes, but you can guarantee it will fail while you are performing (or starting to perform) on a stage somewhere!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-30-2024, 06:25 AM

Thumbs down

I would be very disappointed with a new high-end guitar like this with such QC issues. No excuse for that.

I also believe the (however many point) inspection by Sweetwater is misleading at best. In my experience, unless you pay for a thorough setup, you are basically getting a guitar in a box, same way you would get one from MF, et al. I bought an unplayable guitar from them once. When I called to straighten it out they tried to sell me locking tuners and encouraged me to get the guitar set up. I naively assumed (because they use it as a major selling point) that the guitar was gone over by them and sent to me ready to use. When I returned it, they put it back on their site for sale with no mention of the tuning instability or issues of unplayability.

It left me wondering what exactly was their multi-point inspection on that guitar?
“Hey, it’s got some strings on it.” Check!
“Looks like a guitar!” Check!

I won’t buy anything from them again.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I would be very disappointed with a new high-end guitar like this with such QC issues. No excuse for that.

I also believe the (however many point) inspection by Sweetwater is misleading at best. In my experience, unless you pay for a thorough setup, you are basically getting a guitar in a box, same way you would get one from MF, et al. I bought an unplayable guitar from them once. When I called to straighten it out they tried to sell me locking tuners and encouraged me to get the guitar set up. I naively assumed (because they use it as a major selling point) that the guitar was gone over by them and sent to me ready to use. When I returned it, they put it back on their site for sale with no mention of the tuning instability or issues of unplayability.

It left me wondering what exactly was their multi-point inspection on that guitar?
“Hey, it’s got some strings on it.” Check!
“Looks like a guitar!” Check!

I won’t buy anything from them again.
I have to ask, are you talking about used guitars or are you saying guitars are coming from manufacturers that are unplayable until they’re set up? That’s not been my experience. I do agree that a lot of multi point inspection check lists be it guitars or cars are visual

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-31-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I have to ask, are you talking about used guitars or are you saying guitars are coming from manufacturers that are unplayable until they’re set up? That’s not been my experience. I do agree that a lot of multi point inspection check lists be it guitars or cars are visual
The guitar I bought was new and would not hold tune under any circumstances. I'm convinced all Sweetwater did was open the box, see there was a guitar in there, and then toss in a bag of cheap candy before mailing it to me.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:27 AM

I bought a Gibson L-OO last year and had trouble with pickup at my first gig. Couldn't even play the gig ,it sounded so bad. the butterbean tuner on the low E broke. Put new tuners on ,then it wouldn't stay in tune . Had it all fixed but; quality control ?? Does it exist anymore... I am keeping the guitar.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
The untangling is difficult as you can't see once your hand is in the sound hole. You take a look with the flashlight, try to determine which way to untangle and give it a try. You keep repeating the process until its free.
Try this next time…

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apower...g/id1244625890

You can slide your phone into the guitar and view it on ipad or computer while you work. Use Apple’s magnifier app with it which allows the flashlight feature as well as magnifying if you so choose.
It’s a pretty cool App tool.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:56 AM

If the bag came loose in shipping to you (as is not unlikely), then it would not be attributable to anything Sweetwater did or didn't do.

It's been four days since the OP - and I would be shocked if (s)he hasn't heard back yet from SW. Anything? Buehler?
Old 03-31-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
If the bag came loose in shipping to you (as is not unlikely), then it would not be attributable to anything Sweetwater did or didn't do.

It's been four days since the OP - and I would be shocked if (s)he hasn't heard back yet from SW. Anything? Buehler?
Why not look to the manufacturer for receiving an unplayable guitar? S/W is Gigantic in this industry. I've bought dozens of guitars from them with one single problem on an imported electric. They immediately replaced it with one that was perfect.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Adhesives often don't do well with extreme temperatures. Who knows how hot or cold or both it was during its travels to Sweetwater and to the OP? Is there any negligence by Gibson or Sweetwater in this instance?
Old 03-31-2024, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
it's a bummer but not that big a deal. I get all my electronics removed anyway. Sweetwater will probably send you free strings for your hassle or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
That happens to all acoustics with battery packs in them eventually. I don’t play my acoustics on amps so I take all that stuff out and stick it in the case for safekeeping.
How do you remove all the electronics and why not just leave them and not use them if you don't like it? Doesn't removing them leave holes and voids? If it has a piezo do you have to cut a new saddle? If it has a jack in the end do you plug it? Seems like a lot of butchering to me.I don't understand how you just pull everything out and put it away so the next owner can stick it back in if they want. Why not buy guitar without electronics in the first place?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-01-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Doesn't removing them leave holes and voids?
A pinhole under the saddle at most.

Quote:
If it has a piezo do you have to cut a new saddle?
Not necessarily, or even usually.

Quote:
If it has a jack in the end do you plug it?
Yes, they make a strap button that fits the hole.

Quote:
Seems like a lot of butchering to me.
Seems like an intentionally exaggerative word choice to me.

Quote:
Why not buy guitar without electronics in the first place?
Unfortunately, not every guitar model is available without them.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Sweetwater's "55 point inspection" is designed to check the guitar against what the manufacturer specifies as acceptable.

That's exactly what they do, and they don't look over an instrument for details that they might determine could be done in a better way.

The "tangled wires" are most likely the result of how that particular manufacturer does the installation of the pickup system and may be done intentionally to prevent a loose loop of wire contacting the guitar and creating noise or buzzing against a internal brace or wood surface.

There are excellent Youtube Sweetwater tours where the 55 point inspection is explained. It's not a "look at 55 points and improve everything we think could be done in a better way" inspection for any guitar selling for $300 and up.

Another point about the "55 point inspection" is that it is NOT a setup. Sweetwater has a professional level repair and setup department and its services are available as an additional cost option for someone wanting a true setup of a guitar that is purchased.
It's crazy seeing a realistic, reasonable outlook in here sometimes.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion