The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I enjoyed this video. I had a chance to play Paul's McConnell not long after he received it and it is one stellar instrument. I thought that this Gibson sounded great and is a wonderful example of what they bring to the table. As a singer songwriter who plays guitar (as Paul also defined himself), I can see where each of these guitars could really shine.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-25-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Yeah, I wondered if there might've been a better specified name for that video.
Hi Brian…
I think it was meant to be a scroll stopper…not necessarily well labeled.

I didn't watch the whole thing…lost interest.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Glad it was mildly entertaining for some of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Brian…

I didn't watch the whole thing…lost interest.

Thanks for sharing, Larry.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:00 PM

I often put the feet up and watch acoustic guitar videos through my TV via Youtube/streaming. Dream Guitars video are always professional and easy to watch.....

I wonder if Paul could have stretched it a bit and played, for example, the blues tune on all the guitars and then the modern tune on all of them?

BluesKing777.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet!

I may be in the minority, but I thought they ALL sounded great in their own ways

Paul is a very knowledgeable gentleman and I appreciate that he comes to the guitar as a SONGWRITER. So many great players are singers second and may not write much...

Thanks to Paul and Dream Guitars for all the wonderful videos with stellar sound!

And thanks to the OP for turning us all on to this

Play on...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-25-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Great video. As far as comparison of tones, like others, I was hoping for the same tuning and same playing (better for direct comparison). But even with different tunings and playing it was enjoyable. I didn't like the first two at all (can't remember the two modern luthier builders names) but that Martin was something special and the last one was positively cathedral-like, which I believe was the Brazilian one? I won't even bother to look up the cost of something like that! Regardless, it's always fun to listen to great players playing great guitars! Thanks for the effort!!
Old 08-25-2021, 11:26 PM

I really enjoyed the video, and I liked the way that it was done. I kind of like that he played what the tone of the guitar inspired vs apples to apples comparison on the same tune.

I've have never really ever thought about much about vintage tone vs modern tone before now, but what he's saying makes sense and sort of mirrors my limited experience. Both of my H&Ds were modeled after vintage guitars. And although they're quite different, both really do have that drier, throatier tone that people usually associate with "vintage".

I certainly enjoy both vintage and modern tones and many things in between.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I feel more can be done on the plain sounding guitars than some modern orchestral voiced instruments. Current fingerstyle would sound great on that Gibson, as well as everything else you care to play. I love those direct communicators.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion