The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
I only wear medium sized shirts and I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want or need any other size.
When I was younger I preferred medium shirts but as I age I find myself preferring large or sometimes even XL. I’m not sure why the difference.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 03-11-2022, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
How do the letters "OM" imply rhythm instrument for former banjo players?
"O" for Orchestra. "M" for Model. The first Martin model to have a thin 14 fret neck and squished down body shape.

It was introduced in 1929/30 to compete with Gibson archtops.
It failed and was discontinued in 1933.
In 1934 they tried the same trick on he glorious 12 fret "Original" dreadnought, and that also failed in orchestras and dance bands but found a home in acoustic combos.

Yes, Martin also tried to emulate arch tops but they had flat backs and lacked the projection needed.

Suggest you read up on "Perry Bechtel" if you aren't familiar with the history.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:48 AM

I’ve never really thought about a guitars technical specs, if I could play it comfortably and liked the tone, then I bought it.

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”
Old 03-11-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
IF we're going to go there, its been curious to me why so many well known guitarists use capos on acoustics but shun them with electrics?
Because well known guitarists can solo in any key and they have lots of frets to do that with. All Electric guitars also have missing part known as a “cut-out” that allows access to the frets that don’t exist on an acoustic guitar.
Aside from that, most rhythm parts on an electric are played farther up the neck where the instrument fits the mix and can be heard.
There’s really no need for a capo.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-11-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Maybe it's just me but why on earth would an acoustic come with a 1 11/16 nut, I feel the same way about an acoustic with a cutaway....as I would want neither at all.

Anyway just got an email from Eastman saying... The new E20OOSS/v -SB models are are shipping out to dealers across the US now... and I've been looking for an E20 OO SB 1 13/16 nut please
Easy.

1. I do speed picking, a ton of fast work. The narrow string spacing lets you move much faster. No comparision on ease of fast runs. Also easier on the hands, less space to cover for smaller hands, less work. The advantages of tight spacing go beyond that. You start doing musical elements like double stops, double stop bends, more elegant runs between chords and overall, gain more musical agility. Things are easier to play so you can do more.

2. Cutaway neck is great for adding some leads to the 12 fret and above and forming chords on the 12th-15th fret like some descending octaves.

If you are a strummer, wider necks are fine, and for fingerstyle they are better.

If, on the other hand, you cover 70s rock and take a solo every song with some nice shred speeds (audiences go nuts for fast acoustic solos), you want a narrow neck.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Best response yet!

Except somebody beat him to it (shoes)
Old 03-11-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Easy.

1. I do speed picking, a ton of fast work. The narrow string spacing lets you move much faster. No comparision on ease of fast runs. Also easier on the hands, less space to cover for smaller hands, less work. The advantages of tight spacing go beyond that. You start doing musical elements like double stops, double stop bends, more elegant runs between chords and overall, gain more musical agility. Things are easier to play so you can do more.

2. Cutaway neck is great for adding some leads to the 12 fret and above and forming chords on the 12th-15th fret like some descending octaves.

If you are a strummer, wider necks are fine, and for fingerstyle they are better.

If, on the other hand, you cover 70s rock and take a solo every song with some nice shred speeds (audiences go nuts for fast acoustic solos), you want a narrow neck.

I figured as much.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic Breath View Post
I’ve never really thought about a guitars technical specs, if I could play it comfortably and liked the tone, then I bought it.
That seems to describe the idyllic state of innocence many of us enjoyed before feasting at the AGF tree of knowledge!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic Breath View Post
Yeah, same. I've played for nearly 30 years and never really jumped into that world.

That being said, I can understand it if someone is an excellent fingerstyle guitar player. Micro changes could make a difference.

I've actually found as the years go on, it's all about variety for me. I enjoy having different guitars with different specs, neck widths, etc. All part of the fun.
Taylor GS Mini
Taylor 416ce
Taylor 410ce
Old 03-11-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo on 7 View Post
Yeah, same. I've played for nearly 30 years and never really jumped into that world.
Glenn told a story here once about meeting Tommy Emmanuel, who, apparently, got a little irritated when asked what kind of nut width he preferred.

Maybe Glenn can chip in with that tale of he reads this thread.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
You’d hate my Gurian. 1 5/8 nut.
That's why I sold my Gurian
Old 03-11-2022, 09:41 AM

I only play 1 11/16" nut acoustics.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
OK, shoes guy gets a prize too!
Old 03-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Ahh didn’t see that! Great minds…
Old 03-11-2022, 12:27 PM

I knew this post would start a tornado and it did ha 1 3/4 why?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion