The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2021, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guavadude View Post
Do you have a link for that interview or know which particular picks Carl is using on the TNAG videos? I’d like to try some new ones for flat picking.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/tortex-fle...le-pick-1-14m/

White Tortex Flex 1.14 in large triangle

They work for him - They don't work for me!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:22 AM

Many have already answered that players preferences vary -- and that even single players will use different picks for different results.

I don't know any survey, but I'd guess from informally reading responses to this sort of question over the years that many who vary their pick choice use thinner and/or more flexible picks for strumming.

If the OP is really puzzled as to what to try, some pick makers sell variety packs of various thicknesses, and quite a variety of picks can be bought for not much money to try and see. If they are a beginner, and are sincerely wanting a firm suggestion to start out on I'd suggest a Fender Medium or a Dunlop Yellow or Orange Tortex in the larger triangle shape. I like the added grip from that triangle "346 shape" myself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-10-2021, 11:25 AM

It's not just the pick gauge that contributes to the sound and playabillity of the guitar but also where you place your fingers on the pick. You can play with the tip of the pick or with one of the shoulders. The shoulders are more firm producing a bolder sound and slide over the strings more easily with less pick noise . If you hold the pick close to the tip this will also firm up the pick. Placing your fingers farther away from the tip will allow the pick to bend more and produce more of a flapping sound. If you strum with a heavy pick you will not get as much variability in the pick as with a thinner pick. I use .60mm picks for strumming.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

For full 6 string folk strumming I use Starpicks.
I find that fast songs need a light medium pick.
(Average tempo songs the green is a goto).

If you ever do some hybrid right hand, or slower dramatic melodic playing, I go with the expensive picks.

I would get this assortment and see which thickness works for you to play in time. Pay attention to the deflection of the pick as you strum. See how musical it is for how fast the song is.

I also find light picks on a bright Taylor type guitar can be fun to play a shimmer. Like a hi hat to a drummer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28429342844...gAAOSwxs1fUy1C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion