The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2023, 08:12 AM

Default Good setup person in Cincinnati

So I did a search, but the most recent thread is about 7 years old. My new Eastman arrived with action like a Martin - certainly playable but too high for my taste. I *may* try some judicious saddle sanding on my own, but it'd be nice if anyone has any recommendations for a good acoustic setup person near the Cincinnati metro area (I'm in Northern KY, so bonus points if they're on this side of the river!). I've had stuff done on my electrics at Third Rock Music, so am leaning towards going there, but their turnaround time can be a bit slow. I've heard good things about Jamonn Zeiler, but his business page hasn't been updated in several years so I'm not sure if he's still in business. Would love it if there was somewhere that I could make an appointment and hang while it was being done, but that seems unlikely - anyway, anyone have a recommendation for me?
1987 Peavey Patriot bass

Last edited by Aahzz; 01-06-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I used to live in Cincinnati about 4-5 years ago, and I used Doug Frye for a setup on my HD28. He operates a shop called Dmara guitars in the Evendale area. The work was good and the wait was reasonable, but not lightning fast.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone really offers a 'make an appointment and setup while you wait' service that I am aware of.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I used to live in Cincinnati about 4-5 years ago, and I used Doug Frye for a setup on my HD28. He operates a shop called Dmara guitars in the Evendale area. The work was good and the wait was reasonable, but not lightning fast.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone really offers a 'make an appointment and setup while you wait' service that I am aware of.
I second the Doug Frye recommendation. He's done several setups for me and has done a good job everytime. He has my Martin 000-18 that I just dropped off yesterday. He said I should be able to get it back in about a week.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post

I have heard good things about Doug, but also that he's really slow.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 01-06-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
…I *may* try some judicious saddle sanding on my own
Hi Aahzz
You might want to think about adjusting the truss rod. If you remove saddle material before setting the truss rod, you may end up shimming or replacing it later.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-06-2023, 10:20 AM

Pretty sure I've been to everyone in the region over the last 10-15 years. Unless things have changed in the last couple years, the guy at Third Rock is part time and doesn't do anything much more complicated than a setup. He does good setups though, so if you're familiar with the place, I'd go there.

For anything more complicated, the best by far is J Kennedy, though it's all the way in Mason, so not convenient for you. You make an appointment online to drop off, which means no waiting, and he has the time to listen to exactly what you want. He pays attention and takes notes. You make another appointment to pick up and try it out there to make sure it's what you wanted. Again, no one else there waiting behind you, so you can focus and not feel overly rushed.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:50 AM

I went to Centerville music where Mark Kaiser is,not to bad a drive up 75. he is the man. if a major band is town and have a problem their guitar guy can't handle on the road thats who gets the call.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
I went to Centerville music where Mark Kaiser is,not to bad a drive up 75. he is the man. if a major band is town and have a problem their guitar guy can't handle on the road thats who gets the call.
I've used Mark, as well, & been very happy with his work. He's done setups, installed a couple of pickups & done a refret for me. Last time I saw him I told him I would make recommendations on the guitar forums I frequent & he basically told me not to because he was so busy at the time he didn't need/want more work! So, yeah, he's pretty good!

I jus hope he will make some time for me when I need him again. And I will. :-)

Frank
Old 01-06-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
I had heard good things about Mark as well, but Centerville is a bit of a drive especially from NKY where OP lives. He'd be my guy if I needed anything more complicated than a basic setup (nothing against Doug).

The reality is the most of the good ones aren't especially quick, although there are a few that are.

Not necessarily recommending this, but I learned how to do my own setups, mostly because I got tired of driving 45 min to drop the guitar off, waiting a few weeks, and then driving 45 min to pick it up. I bought a set of nut files and a sanding jig for the saddle. I messed up 1 or 2 while I was learning, but I have gotten pretty competent at setting up a guitar the way I like it now. Even replacing a nut completely isn't all that hard to do. The only things I don't like to touch are vintage ivory nuts since they can't be replaced easily.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-06-2023, 12:10 PM

I decided to wade in myself and adjust the action - and I have been successful!!! Took me a while, but about 40 minutes of that is because I didn't have the G string as loose as I thought I did, and when I pulled the pin it LAUNCHED, bounced off the ceiling, then off my foot...and, I thought, onto the floor. I looked, and I looked, then I emptied everything out of the nearby trashcan, still nothing...under my desk there is a been of stuff that I want to keep, like old straps and extra cables. It's a fairly tall bin, so I didn't think the pin could have bounced in there...but it did, finally found it at the bottom. Took the strings off/retensioned about 4 times just to make sure I never did too much at once, and have the action perfect for my taste . It also sounds amazing, so I am a happy camper.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 01-06-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Aahzz
You might want to think about adjusting the truss rod. If you remove saddle material before setting the truss rod, you may end up shimming or replacing it later.

I did that first
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 01-06-2023, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
I did that first
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-06-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I've used Chris and crew at Restoration Guitar in Camp Washington happily since he first opened his first location in Northside a bunch years ago. Everything from a complete restoration of my '35 00-18 to simple set ups. He's got my '30's Regal right now for a neck reset.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:56 PM

I have used Chris at Restoration Guitar for a repair and a couple set ups. They have always done a great job for me.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

J Kennedy. Just moved to mason

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion