The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-30-2024, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
As I mentioned earlier, there is increasing concern about the effects of concussion and other injuries in Rugby.

The approach has been to minimise such injuries through rule changes to minimise head contact with increasing sanctions for (yellow/red cards) tackles that are considered dangerous.

American football and Rugby are different sports, heavy contact sports, yes but still different.

I believe that the off repeated 'look at Rugby, they don't usually wear protection' is misleading and simplistic.
Both Einstein and Occam’s razor support the simple explanation is usually the correct one. As a pre-med student, I spent a summer working in the lab that established the basis of the NFL concussion protocols (and a Hollywood documentary), and emphasis was on cushioning, not hard shells. The shell serves only to weaponize the head, and encourage players to lead with their brain pans.

And yes, football and rugby are different sports. Rugby doesnt weaponize the head. Maybe with soft helmets, football wouldnt either? Thats the point.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-30-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Both Einstein and Occam’s razor support the simple explanation is usually the correct one. As a pre-med student, I spent a summer working in the lab that established the basis of the NFL concussion protocols (and a Hollywood documentary), and emphasis was on cushioning, not hard shells. The shell serves only to weaponize the head, and encourage players to lead with their brain pans.

And yes, football and rugby are different sports. Rugby doesnt weaponize the head. Maybe with soft helmets, football wouldnt either? Thats the point.
US football used to have spearing (now outlawed as far as I know) which was absolutely using the helmeted head as a weapon. Still okay to slam your shoulderpads into somebody's head, the brain of the recipient hits their skull pretty hard.

I know boxing became a lot more dangerous with the introduction of gloves, you can hit somebody in the head as hard as you're able with little fear of breaking your fingers.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Ah sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that I'm in favour of hard helmets. That's not the case.

Re, the football and rugby are different sports comment: there is a tendency for those unfamiliar with Ruby to wrongly perceive that it is somewhat anarchic and are puzzled by the lack of head protection when in reality the rules and regulations are highly detailed and specific in terms of contact allowed on and off the ball carrier.

Hope that clarifies things.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Anyone who would prioritize fashion over brains probably has little of either.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:20 PM

Somebody in the business once said that pro football was one of the few professions where you are 100% likely to retire with a permanent injury. Yeah they look stupid but if we're going to have our kids injure themselves for our amusement, then maybe give them a chance to have a normal life.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:17 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I just look at the outobard mass of those things and think someone is going to get injured by tipping his head too fast.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-04-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I just look at the outobard mass of those things and think someone is going to get injured by tipping his head too fast.

Bob
Heck, .... I can get injured just getting out of bed.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic