The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

i dumped my thalia capo when i had the plastic tips on it and it made this annoying buzzing on the strings. sure thalia sent me the rubber xl heads but at the point it just seemed like a "style" item rather than a utility (which is what a capo is supposed to be). I switch between a schubb and a G7. Schubb in the studio since i have time to take it off and put it back on for tracks. G7 live. both are amazing capos to consider.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I had tried to reply but it must not have posted. Anyway, I have 2 customized series 200's that look outstanding (wife's name on them!), but they perform very well. Regarding capos causing tuning, I tried a tip Tony Emmanuel shared on a YouTube video, and that is to use the palm of the pick hand and press down a little on the strings after the capo is placed on and voila, back in tune. It works for me. I can also form the B7th shape with this capo as the high E side can be slanted away from the fret and it doesn't affect tuning and my hand doesn't get hindered by the body of the capo. Which with capos that have to be right on the fret the body of the capo and my hand collide with the B7th form. I am happy with that.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:58 PM

Couple of things occurred to me; room temperature and a capo'd high action. Both can sharpen your strings.
I looked at Thalia capos, and the insert package supplied is a great idea, but the things are simply too bulky. I prefer Shubb principally because they are unobtrusive, simple and there's not much, if anything, to go wrong.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Question for anyone that owns this type of capo. Do you have issues with the strings going sharp when you put it on? I got mine for Christmas and I thought they advertised it won't change your tuning. I tried it when I first got it. However I just checked it before installing it and after and it was dead on. I was at a jam the other night and someone was tuning there guitar after they put the capo on. I thought, let me check mine. All the strings were sharp. I tried it on a few other guitars and I tried different fret pads. Same results to different degrees. It's not a big deal but I'm glad I am aware of it. Just wondering if this is common thing. Thank you kindly.
Jim, hi, how have you been? As others have mentioned, I standardized on the G7 Performance model. It's the only one I've used that would not change the pitch when I applied it during a show. HOWEVER, this is important: The one you want is NOT the Performance 2 (current model), but original Performance 1. They really cheapened up the P2 (I've told them this to their face) and, in experience at least, it's not half the capo that the P1 is.

They are hard to find. I looked on eBay and at the moment none are for sale. Worth tracking down though. When I found out they dropped the P1 from their lineup about three years ago, I bought eight (8) of them on eBay. Yeah, I'm a maniac.

Hope this helps. Take care.....

scott
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 PM

I have five Thalia capos, one for each of my guitars. Tried shubb, G7, planet waves, Elliot, etc. Thalia beats them all for me.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

I received a Thalia as a gift. Looks nice, but it's heavy and the pressure is not adjustable. I tried reaching their customer service. (Multiple phone calls and emails). Never heard back. That was disappointing. I hang on to it because it was a gift. Doesn't get used much though.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
I received a Thalia as a gift. Looks nice, but it's heavy and the pressure is not adjustable. I tried reaching their customer service. (Multiple phone calls and emails). Never heard back. That was disappointing. I hang on to it because it was a gift. Doesn't get used much though.
I am an original Kickstarter backer and I contacted them a couple of times only but Chris got back to me personally. I am surprised but maybe they're too big now for individual attention. Were you trying to get warranty service and just ask a question?

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 09-30-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Jim, hi, how have you been? As others have mentioned, I standardized on the G7 Performance model. It's the only one I've used that would not change the pitch when I applied it during a show. HOWEVER, this is important: The one you want is NOT the Performance 2 (current model), but original Performance 1. They really cheapened up the P2 (I've told them this to their face) and, in experience at least, it's not half the capo that the P1 is.

They are hard to find. I looked on eBay and at the moment none are for sale. Worth tracking down though. When I found out they dropped the P1 from their lineup about three years ago, I bought eight (8) of them on eBay. Yeah, I'm a maniac.

Hope this helps. Take care.....

scott
Yes, I prefer the original Performance version. Mine sadly fell apart after many years' use, but the very nice chap at G7th sent me a P2 to replace it. It works fine but isn't up to the same standard as the P1 in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
....HOWEVER, this is important: The one you want is NOT the Performance 2 (current model), but original Performance 1. They really cheapened up the P2 (I've told them this to their face) and, in experience at least, it's not half the capo that the P1 is.

scott
My experience with the P2 was pretty dismal. After a few months of working nicely, it began to freeze up solid. At first I would be able to force it apart to get it off the neck, then it simply locked up and no amount of persuasion would open it. Since this happened at a campfire jam, I smashed it on a rock in anger.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion