The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
I like to fold two twenty dollar bills into a tight triangle. Feels good as there is a little give on the base while the treble is still there. The fifties are too tight.
Shoot, if I had two twenties I'd just pay somebody to play for me.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
It's very true that not every pick works well for every player - especially when there are so many choices of shape and thickness out there. In an ideal world I'd love to have my picks in every dealer for people to try and choose, and I'm sure Scott, Mick and all the other boutique pick makers would too. But unfortunately that's just not practical or achievable - for a start, we simply don't make that enough picks; each one is made individually by hand.

So we all do the next best thing - we offer a no-questions return policy. Don't like the pick? No problem - send it back for a different model or a refund!

Cheers,
David
David, good point. You know, a lot of people don't understand that Blue Chip has become so popular at least as much for its customer service as its excellent products, if not more so.

Case in point: There is another premium pick vendor, even longer in business, who insults and abuses his customers if they even SUGGEST a return. Good luck finding the words Warranty or Refund on their website. Not surprisingly, this person's business has scarcely grown in ten years.

sm
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM

The best value in picks is Dunlop Ultex. You can buy a 6 pack for 2.79, which is roughly .46 cents per pick.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Played a little more with the modified 346, this time on mandolin. The rounded point seemed to work very well. Tone was pretty good, volume a little under some other materials I've used. Overall, you could do worse, a lot worse, for $0.46.

The three point shape is working so well, I may have to try it with a bit more upscale material like Tru-Shell.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:22 AM

You know, if you are REALLY cheap you can get one of those "pickmaker" things (the ones that work like a paper punch) and make picks out of your old credit cards, library cards, student IDs, insurance cards, and those "free" card offers you get in the mail. You can (if you do it carefully) get 3 picks out of each card. You can make all you need for the rest of your life! (can you tell I have tried this?) Some are not too bad, and some really are awful, most are useable and a few are really good-sounding. Apparently the quality of the plastic makes a difference (but you DO need to polish the edges of the picks you make.)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Well, my grandaddy ate in restaurants his whole life and never paid more than $0.15 to level a table so if it was good enough for him........
"EATS" in Bridgewater, VA still has a few leveling their tables....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
"EATS" in Bridgewater, VA still has a few leveling their tables....
I'm in Bridgewater 4-5 times a year. Where are they? I'll have to try them if I remember to bring some picks with me.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Correct you are. Do you have economical access to a rough rock?
The sidewalk in front of Elderly's has both rough and smooth concrete that can handle the task at hand quite nicely.

~ ~ Martin
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm in Bridgewater 4-5 times a year. Where are they? I'll have to try them if I remember to bring some picks with me.
GOTCHA......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM

i have enough that i really don't have to, but, i sharpen mine by rubbing it on the carpet. easy.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-29-2017, 11:59 AM

This all sounds so complicated. Glad I mainly play with my fingers. Not even nails, as that would cost at least $0.50 to maintain, I'm sure.

I don't often use picks, but when I do, this is one of my favorites (said in my best "man of mystery" voice)

Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Dunlop Primetone Triangle Sculpted Plectra with Grip 1.4 mm
12 for $15.99 = $1.34 each
$1.20 at 10% off
$1.13 at 15% off

I know...a little rich for the thread, but IMO, these outperform ALL other picks I have tried (several BC, Wegen, etc.), and there is no need for "fifteen minutes work with emery board and polishing sponge". Right out of the bag these are top shelf.

Or...with the right inexpensive tools you can make them even better in about 15 minutes or so

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I've been a proponent of botique picks here for quite a while and I do thoroughly believe in them but I'll make a big confession here. If I'm playing plugged in 99% of the time I'm using a Primetone 1.5 small triangle. The don't move around and they feel like one of my expensive picks in my hand. Now unplug me and stick me in front of a microphone then it's one of my botique picks I'm using. Either my Premium series or one of Scott's black picks depending on the sound I'm going for. So even us snobby boutique pick manufacturers have a use for budget picks too.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM

I'm not a cheapskate; I've got around $15 K in my guitars and can afford any pick I'd like.

It's about perception of value, the same reason I refuse to get a so-called "smart" phone so I can carry the Internet around in my pocket.
IMO it's not worth the huge fee they charge and they are gouging customers.
My decision is about avoiding feeling like a sucker, besides I have a computer at home.
I don't automatically have to have every new thing that comes along.

I'm not calling anyone a sucker; I'm saying I'd feel like a sucker if I bought this stuff.
People vary; there's rarely one right way that applies to everyone unless we're talking about something like whether it's okay to murder.

Me spending more than 50 cents on a pick is as likely as spending $8,000 for that platinum pick someone recently posted a link to.
To me spending 51 cents on a pick makes as much sense as spending $8K.
Just not necessary for me as my 50 centers have done everything I asked of them for 50+years.
(Now you kids get off my lawn. )

I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way, just responding to the 'cheapskate' comment.

Clearly zillions love their phones with data plans and love their expensive picks.
That's fine, but kindly respect my decision without calling me a cheapskate.
Live and let live.

Last edited by Tico; 07-29-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:27 PM

Hey Tico,
I'll make you a custom-beveled rokdog49 Prime Tone for not much.
These babies are the talk of the town hereabouts. big value, low cost.
Seriously, to each his own and I don't think you're a cheapskate.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion