The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
For more that forty years I've been an accessory nerd. I think we need a 12-Step Program. Obviously I'm obsessed with picks, but it doesn't stop there, not by a long shot. I am constantly experimenting with straps, strings, capos, tuners, picks, etc. -- and I've been that way for more than forty years.

How about you? Do you obsess about guitar accessories and, if so, what have you discovered in your accessory journey.

memmer
Picks, straps, capos, tuners, pick holders, humidifiers, music stands and music stand lights are among the accessories I keep acquiring. I get excited about various new gadgets and just have to try them out.
It's a sickness!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Son, you've got it bad. Where do you put all that stuff?

memmer
I am inventive and have almost everything in one average-sized closet - mostly taken up by instruments. There is some overflow, I'll admit, as 2 guitars and the music books are elsewhere, but 15 instruments and a lot of miscellany all fit in.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:41 PM

I used to be. Not anymore.

When I was mainly an electric player it was all sorts of pedals, cables, picks, different tubes for the amp, 50 different kinds of strings, blah blah. A whole closetful of junk that I should probably get rid of someday.

Since I decided to focus on the acoustic, it's different. I have one Kyser capo, a small bag of Cool picks that I only open up when I lose one or wear one out, a pegwinder/cutter combo, and two tuners (Intellitouch and Snark). And I have two tuners only so that I have the old one around for the times when I can't remember where I left the new one. (If I misplace them both, I use an Android app, which works surprisingly well.)

That and a small stock of strings is pretty much all I need. I'm glad to be at that point, because I have a bad habit of getting obsessed with gadgets and tools. I'm replacing the Kyser with a Shubb, but that's about as far as I think I'll be going anytime soon.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:16 PM

I think I enjoy the gadgetry as much as the sound of the guitar and music in general. While I have tons of picks and a pile of capos I have settled pretty well on a couple of each that I use always. I can't say so much about electronics, though. I don't want any special effects or special processing, I just want my amplified guitars to sound good. I guess if I've discovered anything about amplifying acoustic guitars is don't try to do it cheap and try to be in control of as much of your signal chain as possible - everything matters.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post

When I was mainly an electric player it was all sorts of pedals, cables, picks, different tubes for the amp, 50 different kinds of strings, blah blah. A whole closetful of junk that I should probably get rid of someday.

Since I decided to focus on the acoustic, it's different. I have one Kyser capo, a small bag of Cool picks that I only open up when I lose one or wear one out, a pegwinder/cutter combo, and two tuners (Intellitouch and Snark). And I have two tuners only so that I have the old one around for the times when I can't remember where I left the new one. (If I misplace them both, I use an Android app, which works surprisingly well.)

That and a small stock of strings is pretty much all I need. I'm glad to be at that point, because I have a bad habit of getting obsessed with gadgets and tools. I'm replacing the Kyser with a Shubb, but that's about as far as I think I'll be going anytime soon.
Sounds like a good plan.

sm
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Talking Do you obsess about guitar accessories

I don't obsess. I like to consider it an extension of this vast and wonderful pre-occupation with all things acoustic guitar...and beyond
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Jayne, I love your definition of "accoutrement." Is it yours, or did you "borrow" it from somewhere?

sm
Hi Scott,

I actually stole the idea from my beer and whiskey drinking dad. Whenever the topic of champagne would come up, he would say: Ah, that stuff is just ginger ale that knows somebody.

I imagine that he probably picked it up from somewhere. I heard some character on TV say it in a script years and years later.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post

I did the same, as I switched back to playing purely acoustic. I had amps, and an AxeFx, and tons of pedals. I sold off a ton of stuff and now I'm down to just my 2 Taylors, a handful of capos, and a bunch of picks.

... and then I bought a Tonewood Amp
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Guilty
I have several acoustic guitars. Each guitar has in the case, humidifier, strap, capo, tuner, and picks
So if I pick up a guitar all the things I need are in the case.

In my closet are a box of extras and a boat load of strings. I have a flat fishing utility box sectioned of with several types of guitar picks. Too many to count.

guitars? yep still have some
Old 08-06-2017, 11:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Hi Scott,

I actually stole the idea from my beer and whiskey drinking dad. Whenever the topic of champagne would come up, he would say: Ah, that stuff is just ginger ale that knows somebody.

I imagine that he probably picked it up from somewhere. I heard some character on TV say it in a script years and years later.

Best,
Jayne
Love the line, Jayne. RE: Plagiarism. I tell my students: If you're gonna steal, steal from the best. I steal from Shakespeare all the time for song titles. Hey, he's dead 400 years, what's he gonna do to me.

sm
Old 08-07-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjracer View Post
Guilty
I have several acoustic guitars. Each guitar has in the case, humidifier, strap, capo, tuner, and picks
So if I pick up a guitar all the things I need are in the case.

In my closet are a box of extras and a boat load of strings. I have a flat fishing utility box sectioned of with several types of guitar picks. Too many to count.
Ok, I am really hating that you put this idea into my head..... ;-)

Various stringed instruments
Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Love the line, Jayne. RE: Plagiarism. I tell my students: If you're gonna steal, steal from the best. I steal from Shakespeare all the time for song titles. Hey, he's dead 400 years, what's he gonna do to me.

sm
...and the copyright ran out a while ago
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Cool

Yup, I've got it worse than most, and I already am a member of a 12 step program. I guess I rationalize it because, "at least I'm not using drugs". Over the last 4 years, I became able to do all my own repair and set up work. Lots of cool stuff to buy, eh? My newest obsession. I spent most of my spare time of 2 days this week making a new nut for my recently acquired Takamine. You see, I had to have the Pro Series TF340BG with the Cool Tube system; a perfect "plug and play" open mic guitar. And what a sweet deal I got, right here on AGF. It has the same 1 3/4" nut width as my Jake Robinson, but the string spacing is a little different. This simply will not be tolerated. I made a "trial period nut" out of cattle bone to tweak string height. I wound up with a couple with fret buzz so I had to fill the slots with a mixture of bone dust and glue to re-adjust. Camel bone seems slightly harder and I prefer the natural colors in it, as opposed to the "too white" cattle bone. When I got the Camel bone nut blank in the mail Saturday, I spent hours shaping and perfecting the nut. I polished it to a sweet glow and even polished the nut slots. Eureka! This is now the smoothest tuning guitar I have ever owned, and I have some gems. of course. String spacing is exactly the same at the nut on my 2 favorite guitars, and I can play both guitars with equal love, now. Sort of. I have to polish the nut slots on the Jake Robinson SJ now too. Next string change can't come soon enough.

Last edited by j.blay; 08-07-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
Yup, I've got it worse than most, and I already am a member of a 12 step program. I guess I rationalize it because, "at least I'm not using drugs". Over the last 4 years, I became able to do all my own repair and set up work. Lots of cool stuff to buy, eh? My newest obsession. I spent most of my spare time of 2 days this week making a new nut for my recently acquired Takamine. You see, I had to have the Pro Series TF340BG with the Cool Tube system; a perfect "plug and play" open mic guitar. And what a sweet deal I got, right here on AGF. It has the same 1 3/4" nut width as my Jake Robinson, but the string spacing is a little different. This simply will not be tolerated. I made a "trial period nut" out of cattle bone to tweak string height. I wound up with a couple with fret buzz so I had to fill the slots with a mixture of bone dust and glue to re-adjust. Camel bone seems slightly harder and I prefer the natural colors in it, as opposed to the "too white" cattle bone. When I got the Camel bone nut blank in the mail Saturday, I spent hours shaping and perfecting the nut. I polished it to a sweet glow and even polished the nut slots. Eureka! This is now the smoothest tuning guitar I have ever owned, and I have some gems. of course. String spacing is exactly the same at the nut on my 2 favorite guitars, and I can play both guitars with equal love, now. Sort of. I have to polish the nut slots on the Jake Robinson SJ now too. Next string change can't come soon enough.
Actually, in the long run, drugs might be cheaper.

scott memmer
Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
...and the copyright ran out a while ago
Yeah, Andrew, like 400 years ago. Two words: Public Domain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion