The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 01:40 PM

Default D-18 - how the ding will affect the value?

One local guitar shop is selling Martin D-18 made in 2004 -- no original case (probably, no case at all), a visible ding on the corner of the headstock.

I played the guitar, liked the tone, the neck is strait and the action is fine, no cracks, no splits, but I have some doubts.

My question is how these factors (no case + ding) will affect the price?
Let's say, the same guitar with original case and no ding would cost $1500.
How much the absence of case and the ding devalue it? Should we say $1100?
$1200? Any other figure?

Another question is it possible that the guitar will have some hidden structural problems due to the hit by the headstock? I did not spot any visually - no cracks.

Here are two photos of the ding, these were made by the shop, not by myself.

I do not have hot GAS regarding the guitar but if the price will be right, maybe it's not a bad idea to buy. Thank you all for your advice!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

If it plays well, sounds well, has plenty of saddle left, no evidence of other issues, and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate. And I'd buy it a Hiscox and forget about the case it may/may not come to me in.

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:51 PM

Subtract $150.00 for the case and $75.00 for the ding.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM

FWIW, I'd put this guitar at around $1200 WITHOUT the ding and WITH the case. It's an older model with (IMHO) less attractive features than the redesigned D18 (started in 2012), and newer examples can be found pre-owned for $1500 +/-
Old 09-29-2017, 02:02 PM

I see you're in Russia.
Are Martin guitars scarce there?
If demand there exceeds supply these issues may reduce the value less than they would in the US, where supply is greater.

Last edited by Tico; 09-29-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Ya I’d keep looking
Old 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM

It is a cosmetic ding, although unfortunately in a really noticeable place. It is doubtful there is any collateral damage. Unless American guitars are in very short supply / high demand in Moscow, the store will have some trouble selling it without a substantial discount. Personally I would hold out for the reworked post 2012 version anyway. It would take a killer deal to make me buy this one.

I'm quite tall (198 cm) and one or two of my guitars have acquired similar head stock dings. I have to remember just how close to the ceiling I am when taking a guitar and strap off over my head, if standing.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:45 PM

Agree ... You can get a nice TKL case (just as good as the original) for $150 and a competent luthier could make a reasonable repair on the dinged head stock for $75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
Subtract $150.00 for the case and $75.00 for the ding.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-29-2017, 04:47 PM

Tico wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I see you're in Russia.
Are Martin guitars scarce there?
If demand there exceeds supply these issues may reduce the value less than they would in the US, where supply is greater.
Exactly; everyone so far aside from Tico has been viewing this from the perspective of folks with an abundance of Martins to choose from, but the OP is talking about a slightly dinged up Martin guitar where they aren't nearly so easy to find.

My one week-long visit to the Russian Far East (to Magadan Oblast in March 1992,) most definitely did NOT include shopping for Martin guitars! But I think it's fair to assume that there is a completely different attitude towards retail pricing in Moscow than there is anywhere in North America. Cultural attitudes aside, Moscow has become one of the most expensive cities in the world, and it's entirely possible that the store can't afford to offer the sorts of discounts that North American guitarists simply take for granted.

So my advice, Catfish, is that you go to the store with money in your pocket, prepared to buy. If you're seriously interested in the guitar - don't waste their time or your own trying to bargain unless you truly intend to purchase the guitar. But if you are, you can try to talk them down based on what people have written here in this thread. But don't be surprised if they tell you "Nyet!" and stick with the price they're asking.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 PM

You "liked the tone".

I'd have to love the tone to buy it with that particular ding. But that's just me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 PM

Thanks everybody for your input!

Yes, I did not fall in love with that guitar on the spot, but I quite liked the tone. I spent maybe 15 minutes with it and the guitar owner was in front of me talking all the time
The guitar had old coated strings, looked like 80/20, and the brass bridge pins. It can be a factor, too. Yes, the bridge saddle is not shaven which is very good.

It is true that Martin guitars are scarce here on used market, the choice is quite limited. And Gibsons acoustics are even scarcier, I have never tried one. I mentioned Gibson because it can be that I will like it more than D-18.

New D-18 retails for $3472, but I know an intermediary, a business, via them it is possible to buy for approx. $3000 but now lower. TKL or Hiscox case would cost me an arm and a leg -- they do not retail here, and if I'd buy online from USA the shipping costs are enormous (volumetrics). But I intend to keep it at home, I have one hard case where my Seagull is currently kept. Possibly, D-18 will fit in and Seagull will be put outside.

My concern about 'no original case' is that it arises some questions: where is the case? what happened to it? The store said that the guitar was not local trade in or something, they bought it from abroad and the ding was already there. If I were a store I would not buy such guitar. Strange. But this guitar shop sells mostly electric, they have just a few acoustics.

I was asking opinion about price here because if I was ever going to sell this guitar, I would not like to be the one who suffers financial loss. Current price of this D-18 is $1690 and the guitar is in the ads for sale for several months. If the used Martin in standard series is priced fairly, it sells fast here. This is obviously not the case.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 AM

Since the guitar has gone unsold for some time, they might be more willing to bargain on the price than I'd assumed.

If I was in your position, my next step would be to buy a fresh set of strings and bridge pins from the shop and offer to put them on the guitar, so you can hear what it actually sounds like. (Hopefully, they'll bestir themselves and change those items themselves, and not charge you for them. But it's worth spending the money even if they do charge you.)

Not only are dead strings worthless, but brass bridge pins tend to be tone-killers, frankly. I know they have their fans, but you'll get a much better idea of how the guitar sounds with those dead strings and brass pins swapped out for fresh strings and plastic or ebony bridge pins.

Again, I would recommend against doing this unless you're at least halfway prepared to purchase the guitar if it surprises you with a more impressive tone once those strings and pins are replaced.

That's what I would do, anyway. It's up to you, naturally.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-30-2017, 04:52 AM

Thank you, Wade, for your advice, but I decided to act differently. I already made them a price offer via PM at the sales ad site, and I offered the price comfortable for subsequest sale, in case I would not like it and will put it on sale.

If I will do what you suggest, not only myself, but the guitar shop people will hear the difference in tone and will not agree to sell me the guitar for a good price.

By the way, they answered that the guitar is selling without any case, but I can buy a case from them separately. It is a good point from my perspective. No case or gig bag at all -- it's a factor to bring the price down. But "Nyet" is expected very likely, I think.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 AM

Got an answer 'the price is not subject for discussion', so I let it pass. Thanx everyone for suggestions.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:31 AM

Just an observation: We guitar enthusiasts who live in The States really have it pretty good. I can't imagine having to deal with the scarcity and the pricing expectations that appear to exist in other parts of the world. Here, that particular Martin D-18 goes for $1,000 - $1,200 and the seller is happy to get it, then you roll over to GC or some such store and buy the perfect case for $150, then you decide whether or not you can live with the ding and if not, you pay a good luthier to make a reasonable repair for $75-$100 tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Got an answer 'the price is not subject for discussion', so I let it pass. Thanx everyone for suggestions.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion