The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 03:02 AM

Default Hybrid acoustic guitar string set

Anybody with experience of using string sets that combine medium and light strings? For my Larrivee J19, I am looking at the D'Addario EJ19 set where the top E and B are light gauge and the rest phosphor bronze wound medium gauge. I quite like heavy bottom strings, but lighter top ones should make playability, especially bending, a touch easier. If anybody has used this kinda mix n' match set before, I'd be interested to hear the experience. Cheers.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi, EJ19s are a well balanced set. However I choose to use EJ17s and swap out the 1st and 2nd with light gauge - for two reasons :

1. EJ17s come in three packs and ten packs, and I cannot get EJ19s in discounted multiples.

2. I prefer the .026" G rather than .024".

I can buy 3 x EJ17s AND Elixir Anti-rust 12 & 16s online for less than buying three sets of EJ19s.

However I live in the Uk - matters might be different wherever you are.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:30 AM

Hey thanks a lot for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

2. I prefer the .026" G rather than .024".
Interested to know if there's a rationale behind it, other than just a personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I can buy 3 x EJ17s AND Elixir Anti-rust 12 & 16s online for less than buying three sets of EJ19s.

However I live in the Uk - matters might be different wherever you are.
I'm in dreary ol' London, so fire away. Economy of means is a practice very close to my heart. However do you manage to get Elixirs for less than D'Addarios?!

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion