The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-29-2024, 12:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default So the flu is totally not fun.

Saturday night I started getting the chills, then felt weak with no appetite. Sunday more of the same, now with the "sweats", still no appetite and started feeling very unsteady on my feet.

Monday I went to the doctor and my blood sugar was low, my bp low and they made me eat Lorna Doone cookies! (I was barely walking)

I passed the Covid test, but not the flu test. Today I'm finally steady on my feet. I managed to play the guitar last night for a bit.

Lesson learned. Even though I might be too sick to eat, force down some cookies and water!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-29-2024, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Ouch! My 14 you daughter just got over that and now my wife is struggling with it. I have remained fine so far…[emoji1696]
Old 02-29-2024, 12:47 PM

I had the flu--the real flu--once, in college.

It kicked my butt. Fever as high as 104, for days...chills, full body aches, and a cough the lasted 2 weeks. It was BRUTAL...and that caught me at the best shape I was ever in!

I've gotten a flu shot every year after that. I tell people all the time, if you've had the flu and you don't think it's awful, you haven't had the flu.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-29-2024, 01:13 PM

Wait a sec. I'm totally shocked! I heard the flu was fun for all ages. Not true? Wow.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:36 PM

just my situation...had the flu once for a week and it was bad 2 or 3 days after 1st flu shot about 25 years ago

Haven't had the flu since then and haven't taken another flu shot in 25 years either. Common cold a few times and that's it.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I had the flu--the real flu--once, in college.

It kicked my butt. Fever as high as 104, for days...chills, full body aches, and a cough the lasted 2 weeks. It was BRUTAL...and that caught me at the best shape I was ever in!

I've gotten a flu shot every year after that. I tell people all the time, if you've had the flu and you don't think it's awful, you haven't had the flu.
I've had the flu on 3 different occasions and each time was brutal! I agree with you - people who are walking about complaining that they've got the flu haven't got the flu. They wouldn't be able to run around and complain - they'd probably be in bed.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Flus and colds wreak absolute havoc on me.

Both evolve into a month of respiratory distress, non-stop hacking and a pounding ball-peen hammer-blow headache with every cough. I've had "that other thing" we're not supposed to discuss here three times since 2020. And even with bedridden fatigue for a week each time, it was far easier to endure. YMMV.

I don't know how others here feel about vaccines, but I get my flu shot every fall. And I meticulously scrub my produce from the store.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Saturday night I started getting the chills, then felt weak with no appetite. Sunday more of the same, now with the "sweats", still no appetite and started feeling very unsteady on my feet.

Monday I went to the doctor and my blood sugar was low, my bp low and they made me eat Lorna Doone cookies! (I was barely walking)

I passed the Covid test, but not the flu test. Today I'm finally steady on my feet. I managed to play the guitar last night for a bit.

Lesson learned. Even though I might be too sick to eat, force down some cookies and water!
Did you get the shot this year?
I haven't had the flu in a long time, but I do get the shots.
The best immunity booster for the flu I think is getting enough sleep. If you at least do that, you can get away with more accidental exposure time to a bad bug.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-29-2024, 04:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Did you get the shot this year?
I haven't had the flu in a long time, but I do get the shots.
The best immunity booster for the flu I think is getting enough sleep. If you at least do that, you can get away with more accidental exposure time to a bad bug.
I can't get the shot. I had Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-02-2024, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Lorne Doones are the best when you are sick or broken hearted. Good to hear you are on the mend.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I lost a friend to the flu about 5 years ago.

He was a healthy guy, but it hit him so hard and fast that even being in the hospital didn't save him.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I lost a friend to the flu about 5 years ago.

He was a healthy guy, but it hit him so hard and fast that even being in the hospital didn't save him.
It seems that it is sometimes a deadly sickness and, sometimes, there isn't much of an explanation as to why it is lethal on an individual. Sorry for your loss, that's terrible, it can hit anyone.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:26 AM

There are all sorts of illnesses that have similar symptoms to influenza, including other versions of the coronavirus. It's easy to just assume it is the flu. Most people who get sick dont even go to doctor or get tested.

Everyone has their own immune system and underlying health conditions. Influenza kills about 30,000 people a year in the US, but only about 30% of people get the vaccine. The whole public health system planning has been based on an assumption that a new variety of influenza virus will cause the next pandemic.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

I hope you're doing better at this point!!! It sure can hit you hard. Best wishes for climbing out of it and staying health.

The posts brought back a strange can't shake it memory. In my '70s teen years we travelled far and I got the hot topic horrible and spreading swine or Russian flu. I was extremely sick. It sparked a hard to describe amount of healing. My father who also died young after that, and was a physically abusive parent earlier took me home. Parenting was hard for him but the getting through the airports, the flights, the all of it when I was so miserably sick with about every rotten symptom illustrated he really did care, and we can all make efforts to heal and do better.

I know that's a crazy tangent but it stuck with me for pretty much the rest of my life. The actually handling sickness, and have a mindset to heal, repair and do better. His death and all the time can still feel like unfinished business.

My wife has flu symptoms and I'm 2 days into feeling like my body is winning. Selfish me says I sure hope so.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:19 PM

I never took the flu seriously, figuring I was young, and healthy, so no need for a flu shot. Two years ago, I was hit with the flu, and was legitimately scared for my life to the point where I had considered calling 911 on the second night. Flu shot for me every season now. Never underestimate the potential power of the flu.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic