The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-25-2024, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Subscribed thread notifications by email not working.

Wasn't sure on which forum to post this, so am trying here first.

I have a list of subscribed threads on my User CP, with notifications showing as either daily or instant. For some reason I never receive those notifications by email. I checked my email junk/spam folder and they aren't there either.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Old 03-25-2024, 02:28 PM
AGF Administrator

Your provider could be blocking those emails. Some see our mass forum mailer as spam and don't allow receipt of messages from us.

You can trying changing your forum email address, or adding our domain to your allow list.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I never get subscription emails (presumably because I don't subscribe?)...

So, I just subscribed to this thread with instant email notification. Curious if it works... (though I really don't want email notifications)...
Old 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Your provider could be blocking those emails. Some see our mass forum mailer as spam and don't allow receipt of messages from us.

You can trying changing your forum email address, or adding our domain to your allow list.
This has been happening with several organizations that I belong to. There are not many workarounds at this point. In fact, a mail list that I administer does not get through to my personal gmail address. Go figure.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Do AGF emails get send from servers that can (and do) add SPF header that pass strict tests? I used to be on a forum that sent email that couldn't pass those tests, causing the provider of the address where I want to receive my music forum notifications to reject them. This provider is one of the rare who enforce SPF strictly which is annoying (but I also haven't yet received a single spam at that address; try that with gmail or hotmail even if you never use the address!).

Anyway, I configured a special gmail address ("myaddress+tag") with a simple forwarding rule that transfers the email to the desired address. I see I have this mechanism in place for the AGF also, which probably means I had to set it up that way.

PS: the only thing better than email notifications is being able to post a reply via a return email

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:34 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I never get subscription emails (presumably because I don't subscribe?)...

So, I just subscribed to this thread with instant email notification. Curious if it works... (though I really don't want email notifications)...
And I did get an email notification, so I guess it works!
Old 03-25-2024, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

So if it sees the emails from AGF as spam, wouldn't they at least show up in my spam/junk folder? I don't see them there either.

I'll try to figure out how to find the "allow list" in MS Outlook. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
So if it sees the emails from AGF as spam, wouldn't they at least show up in my spam/junk folder? I don't see them there either.

I'll try to figure out how to find the "allow list" in MS Outlook. Thanks.
Not necessarily. Do try to set the whitelist in Outlook, but I've found that some services, as RJVB noted, just can the messages they think are spam before they even reach you. I am having this issue right now with a Google Workspace business account. Even though I've set up whitelists and filter bypass, Google decided a priori that mail from that source is spam, so it never even gets far enough to be checked against the whitelist.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:15 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
PS: the only thing better than email notifications is being able to post a reply via a return email
VBulletin does not provide that functionality.

And... we want you to come to the site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic