The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Andy, I just put a set of XS PB lights on my 000-18 (it was the one that was due for strings at that time). It sounds better than the EJ 16s or any of the Elixirs I've used on it before. I also like how they feel and will see how long they last but I think I'm sold. That I got them with cashed in DAddario Players Circle points helped!
Old 12-10-2023, 03:49 PM

I don't like the XS strings - way too bright, almost jangly; they sound like new strings fresh out of the package (don't like that sound either), but unlike reguar PBs, they don't get "broken in" and lose that silvery jangle, they stay like that for a long time.

To the OP: Martin Retro monels last forever (I've got one guitar - admittedly one that only gets played once or twice a week for half an hour - that I switched over to monels maybe 2 or 3 years ago - and they still sound great), even when it's humid - but tonally they are the polar opposite of the XSs - no jangly overtones, very mid-forward (and they do require some break-in they sound a bit tinny for the first few hours).

D'Addario NIB strings are kind of a middle ground - right out of the box they sound kinda like well broken in PBs (not quite as middy as monels, but no jangle), and they stay like that for a long time - though they don't last as extremely long as monels.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I've used a few sets of the XS strings. They were ok, but I prefer Elixir's Nanoweb HD set (13-53).

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 12-11-2023, 09:23 AM

Arrow

Well clearly Andy now at least you "do" coated strings, at least for a little while?

I don't, because Teflon generally comes along with PFAS chemicals, and as while I trust DA to be less likely to expose their workers and customers to PFAS than WL Gore (elixir), this is still not my cup o' tea, nor is the idea of strings that eventually go "fuzzy". One DA interview, with some graphics suggested DA is winding in their XS cover, which would seem to avoid PFAS, as I have numerous choices for long-lasting strings that don't use Teflon at all, why go there?

The NY core steel is processed in Farmingdale NY.

For my part, I'm giving Martin's Kovar™️ strings a go, just ordered these, as my Santa Cruz is about due for a string change - an SCGC low tension set have been mounted up for 4 months, and played a lot, (I've only got two acoustics, and that's the one I play most often).

I'll be curious to hear these, the Martin titanium strings were awful on my OM-28, and interesting on my SCGC OM, but not what I want to play for the.many months those strings last.

The treated Santa Cruz strings last me longer than DA XTs, even at their high price, I find they're economical compared to bare PB, which go dead on me in ~4 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: png 17023071310280.png (129.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:24 AM

I usually use EJ 16's on 2 guitars also.

Elixirs are too slippery. And the tone seems off. You know what? After 4 or 5 weeks, they are just fine.

XS's are also slippery. But not as bad as the Elixir's. They sound GREAT. I liked the old EXP's also.

Martin Lifespan's are OK, not great. Lost a bit of volume with those.

I have a pretty good stash of the EJ's, but when they are used up, then who knows? Will take a couple of years.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Lost the tone

For me the XS were terrible. They robbed all the warmth out of my Froggy H12. Gave them about 4 hours but true to the claim, they didn't change. Used the last EXP 16 set and suddenly all the tone was back. It was night and day difference

Additionally I found with the XS the b string was almost impossible to tune and stay in tune for any length of time. Thinking it was the string itself I changed it out with no improvement. Changing to the EXP solved the issue. No sure why but don't care as long as it works

Have a set of XT which I can try since EXP are no longer available. Fortunately I'm easy on strings so I can go to the untreated strings.

That's my experience.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 12-11-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
The top b and e strings are the exact same as any other uncoated string set.
Update on unwound strings - once I'd fitted them it was pretty cold in the conservatory which affects the sound slightly. I think the "tink" has gone.

I fitted them on my Eastman E40-00 and my new to me (1998) Collings 002h. Both OK but I'm "sensing" a rather "muted" sound compared to, say Ej16s. However, just spent a couple of hours strolling around town with Mrs Silly, so I might be "traffic deaf".

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-11-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:28 AM

At the moment I have these on my Taylor 816 and SJ200.

Typically I get 5 or 6 months before I change them.

compared to non-treated, 6 to 8 weeks max.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-11-2023, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Well clearly Andy now at least you "do" coated strings, at least for a little while?

I don't, because Teflon generally comes along with PFAS chemicals, and as while I trust DA to be less likely to expose their workers and customers to PFAS than WL Gore (elixir), this is still not my cup o' tea, nor is the idea of strings that eventually go "fuzzy". One DA interview, with some graphics suggested DA is winding in their XS cover, which would seem to avoid PFAS, as I have numerous choices for long-lasting strings that don't use Teflon at all, why go there?

The NY core steel is processed in Farmingdale NY.

For my part, I'm giving Martin's Kovar™️ strings a go, just ordered these, as my Santa Cruz is about due for a string change - an SCGC low tension set have been mounted up for 4 months, and played a lot, (I've only got two acoustics, and that's the one I play most often).

I'll be curious to hear these, the Martin titanium strings were awful on my OM-28, and interesting on my SCGC OM, but not what I want to play for the.many months those strings last.

The treated Santa Cruz strings last me longer than DA XTs, even at their high price, I find they're economical compared to bare PB, which go dead on me in ~4 weeks.
Hi Sadie - J, thanks for this advice for explaining the NY thing. I'm at a loss to understand why this would be a selling point over Swedish or Sheffield or any other steel.
It has occurred to me that the strange stuff they are putting on strings might not be great for health, like the VCI stuff they've been uing in packaging for ages, but I'm 75 and on the way out already.

Martin Kovar (???) just googled them $30 per set? a step too far for me!

Besides I enjoy changing strings!
Old 12-11-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Sadie - J, thanks for this advice for explaining the NY thing. I'm at a loss to understand why this would be a selling point over Swedish or Sheffield or any other steel.
It has occurred to me that the strange stuff they are putting on strings might not be great for health, like the VCI stuff they've been uing in packaging for ages, but I'm 75 and on the way out already.

Martin Kovar (???) just googled them $30 per set? a step too far for me!

Besides I enjoy changing strings!
They're not smelting their own steel (I mean, I know how to do that, it's not rocket science or anything). Carbon steel produced in Sheffield, Solingen, Sweden, Yokohama, Pittsburgh, or China, is all going to be of similar quality.

What they are doing is their own wire drawing process. The mechanics of cold drawn wire have been well understood for a very long time, however things like sapphire drawing dies are far easier than even a decade ago.

So maybe they're doing it for higher spec, I don't think they use the same steel for EJ* strings, but it's the core for the nickel-bronze, XT, and XS. I think they also say they draw all their wire, and higher spec steel is going to be more expensive to produce (wear on dies etc). So maybe that's the NY steel, which would make sense in a string intended to last longer.

I also enjoy changing strings, however if the total cost is the same, I'd rather change them less often.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:17 PM

I tried my first set of D'addario XS lights on my Martin 000-42. I put them on towards the end of September and they still sound good. I was quite frankly amazed at how my guitar sounded with these strings. Compared the the Monels I have been using, (which I liked) the guitar seemed to have this wonderful big sound with good bass and more volume with the treble strings. I was reluctant to try a coated strings because the last set I tried was probably around 20 years ago and I hated them. The sound was muted and they kind of delaminated. Back then I had a Taylor 810. I would get the XS strings again or--maybe I'll try the Luxe Martin strings this time.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:23 AM

After many tests I always went back to using the D'addario EJ16 on all my guitars, until I tried the XS. Now I don't want others. Although I don't play every day, I've been with them since March and they continue like the first day.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 12-14-2023, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Actually, I was a converted ACS user but recently tried a set of Martin lifespan 2.0. I am really impressed by these strings. They do feel slightly smoother than regular uncoated, which I like, but sound good to my ear. If they last a few weeks or longer, I may have found my new go-to.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

XS are my favorite all around. I have now put them on all my guitars regardless of size and wood. I find that they bring the most life out of my guitars. As for feel, I don't have a problem at all, and prefer the feel to the Elixirs, and the sound compared to Lifespans.
2022 Gibson J-45 Studio Rosewood
2020 Cordoba C12 SP
2018 K. Yairi DYM60HD
2013 Martin 000-28VS
2011 Taylor GS Mini
Old 12-16-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I mostly use D'addario Ej16/17 and Martin MA540/550, but its been a difficult year for strings out on stands - exceptionally high humidity.

During a minor brainstorm recently I found myself ordering three sets of "XSAPB1253" (Snappy title) basically XS coated lights.

I fitted a set each on my Collings and Eastman 00s this afternoon to do a comparison video.
I got them from Amazon Prime on a "Black Friday" offer of £17.50 ($22) per pack.
I usually pay £29 ($36) for a 3 pack of EJ16s, which usually last about three months.

So
if a $12 set lasts for three months ... how long should a $22 set last ?

My initial impressions of the XS strings - they say "maximum life" ...is that string life or .. my ..life? I'm nearly 76!

They also say "smooth feel" well my my impression when fitting them was "slimy" really difficult fitting them into the capstan of the tuning machines as they kept slipping between my very dry fingers.

They sounded OK on my two 00 guitars, but the top E on both were a bit "tinky".

So .. anybody here use these strings ? Your impression?

.... and just what is "NY" Steel? do they have a steel drawing mill in North Yorkshire or is it Ny in Belgium?

Pity they have abandoned the coloured string barrels.
Ha! Too bad there's an ocean between us. I just found I have some classic EJ16s for a guitar I no longer own.

Some of the newer branding and models confused me but I've been happy breaking some traditions. The newer D'Addario models I've tried seem fine. I just got the treated versions for my Telecaster and am happy.

Mentioning Santa Cruz, I tried them when they came out and the slightly less tension for the whole set was an improvement for my setup and they indeed lasted long so I got more.

Overall my favorites have been round core that some people hate. You have to be careful putting them on. DR's are less expensive than the nice ones from your side of the Atlantic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion