The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Default d'Addario EXP 38 discontinued ?

My new Guild f-1512 ( 12 string ) states that it came with EXP 38 , but they are listed as discontinued -they were like 18-20 bucks - new versions are like 25 -
seems to me its the same strings but with a new name and a high price -
any 12 string coated strings in lights that are more user friendly ?
( Yes i am a budget minded person )
Old 11-07-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

According to D’Addario— “XT has replaced our successful EXP line as an excellent coated option, while XS utilizes our new, ultra-thin coating to bring a premium coated offering to players who want it.”

It’s explained here:

https://support.daddario.com/hc/en-u...-discontinued-
Old 11-07-2021, 02:16 PM

Yes it has been impossible to find 12-string exp at a tolerable price for some time. I only have one pack left. Took advantage of the 1000 point offer last month and got a set of XS to try out. We can only hope that some sales for the new strings come up once their novelty has worn off.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:22 PM

Am I right in saying the new XT's are similar to the old EXP's in that they are treated first then wound ... whereas the new XS's are wound then treated (dipped) like Elixirs?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Am I right in saying the new XT's are similar to the old EXP's in that they are treated first then wound ... whereas the new XS's are wound then treated (dipped) like Elixirs?
I think that’s correct. From the link above:

What is the difference between XT and XS?

XT and XS are coated using two different methods. Because of that, XT strings last longer than standard non-coated strings, and XS strings last longer than XT.

XT is made with a treated wrap wire, which results in an extended lifespan over similar non-treated strings, as well as a natural feel.

XS is coated using a film coating which generally lasts even longer— delivering maximum string life—and affords a smooth feel. Each string satisfies a particular need in the market. XT has replaced our successful EXP line as an excellent coated option, while XS utilizes our new, ultra-thin coating to bring a premium coated offering to players who want it.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I think that’s correct. From the link above:

What is the difference between XT and XS?

XT and XS are coated using two different methods. Because of that, XT strings last longer than standard non-coated strings, and XS strings last longer than XT.

XT is made with a treated wrap wire, which results in an extended lifespan over similar non-treated strings, as well as a natural feel.

XS is coated using a film coating which generally lasts even longer— delivering maximum string life—and affords a smooth feel. Each string satisfies a particular need in the market. XT has replaced our successful EXP line as an excellent coated option, while XS utilizes our new, ultra-thin coating to bring a premium coated offering to players who want it.
They do both last a long time.

I've had a set of XTs on one of my taylors for 6+ months now. I'm going to change them maybe today, but honestly, they still sound really good, and they appear just about as new.

I'm on my second set of XS for my 814CE, the last set I used for close to 5 months, and I changed em one day because I had a few sets, and I was bored. They really didn't need to be changed.

in contrast to Elixir Nanos, which I've always liked, but they just shred and become a general mess after about a month / month and a half.

The XTs are a little brighter to my ears than were the XS sets when you just put them on, I'd love to hear if anyone else got that same impression.

At the same time I tried some Gibson PB coated, they were great for like 4 months,, then one day, they were just as dead as I've ever heard strings go.

I am thinking I'll be running with the XS sets for a while.

not cheap, mail order about 18, in the stores, closer to 20.

but, with the life span, not really too much to complain about cost wise.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion