The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I would think that a Martin HD12-28 or a D12-35 would be just as hard to play as the F-512. I drove 120 miles from my home to Seattle to try out a restored D12-35 in Seattle some years ago and I didn't like the guitar at all. I found it extremely hard to play with a much thicker neck than my Guild F-212 that I was used to.
Having owned both, to me the HD12-28 is much easier to play than the guild. The body is smaller, the scale is 24.9 instead of 25.5, and the neck is slimmer and slightly narrower. The HD12-28 is a much more modern take on the 12 string than the old Guilds and Martins.

That said, it's still a dread and the Taylors are quite a bit smaller and easier to play. I found them quite lacking in bass, however, which is usually the tradeoff with a smaller body.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi Folks,

I need a little shopping help. I've been slowly regaining hand control and can play 12 string again...I would like to invest in the right-sized and right-playing solid-wood 12 string again...

I am looking for something no larger than a dreadnought (a maximum of 16" lower bout), easy playing, great sounding, and for a price less than $3,000...

...I am open to other brands. A Larrivee L-09-12? Something imported that sounds great and is less expensive?
If you're eyeing the Larrivee L-09-12 but don't have the bucks, this one seems to check all your boxes:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-natural
Old 04-19-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Having owned both, to me the HD12-28 is much easier to play than the guild. The body is smaller, the scale is 24.9 instead of 25.5, and the neck is slimmer and slightly narrower. The HD12-28 is a much more modern take on the 12 string than the old Guilds and Martins.

That said, it's still a dread and the Taylors are quite a bit smaller and easier to play. I found them quite lacking in bass, however, which is usually the tradeoff with a smaller body.

Good advice. I need to put hands on that model again. I do remember it being much easier to play than the F512. But it’s been a while since I’ve seen one in the wild. CME has two, though they seem unwilling to discount their used guitar without warranty.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're eyeing the Larrivee L-09-12 but don't have the bucks, this one seems to check all your boxes:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-natural

I presumed I needed a level 9 for rosewood. I forgot they did level 3 satin rosewood. Good find! See, it takes a village to raise a guitar addict. [emoji3]
Old 04-19-2024, 07:12 PM

Default 12 String Guitar Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
Hopefully this isn't blasphemy among other 12 players, but anyone having difficulty playing a 12 might consider a new nut and reducing the pair spacing (which increases the between pair spacing) as outlined by GuitarMD. I found this intriguing. And if you DIY it is cheap and easily reversible. If you hire a tech to do it, it still might be relatively cheap and easily reversible.

https://youtu.be/ZjuC2NpXB9U?si=fzKTmDbnc8O906tn

I am going to do this on one of my old 12's over the weekend and see how I like it. My fingers are big and narrow 12s cause me to mute some fingerings.

This is gold. Makes sense and seems like they should do it from the factory. Though I haven’t tried playing one myself, it LOOKS better too.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-19-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:35 PM

When I was looking for a 12 string 6 years ago I checked out everything in the area. One shop carried Alvarez and Takamine. The other shop I check carried Martin and Breedlove.

After playing several different guitars, some more than once I choose a Takamine GJ72CE. I have owned this guitar 6 years and have not regretted the decision.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 04-20-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Dave,

Though I've never played one, people on the Let's Talk Guild forum rave about the imported Guild D1212 as very easy to play. Others really like the all-mahogany sound. If I were going to add another to my stable of 3, I'd probably try one of these. Also, very inexpensive.
I bought my son a D1212. It takes a little bit of work to get them to play easy, i.e. nut slots and saddle adjustment. But they definitely fall into the bargain category if you’re only playing 12 string occasionally as most people do.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:02 AM

I've owned many 12 string guitars since I bought my first one in 1965.

D-12'35's, D-12-20's, Guild F512 and 412...

But BY FAR the best sounding, easiest playing 12 I've ever played is this 1971 Guild F-312NT.

I found the guitar on the used guitar rack at a GC about 15 years ago. They had no idea what it was and I took it home for just $650 (which means they paid the previous owner about half of that). It plays as easy as a 6 string electric with 10's on it! And it plays perfectly in tune up and down the neck.

I've always strung it with light gauge PB strings and I keep it at concert pitch. The neck/action have never moved away from perfection.

Keep your eyes open and you might strike paydirt like I did. This guitar goes to the grave with me.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

But BY FAR the best sounding, easiest playing 12 I've ever played is this 1971 Guild F-312NT.

I found the guitar on the used guitar rack at a GC about 15 years ago. They had no idea what it was and I took it home for just $650 (which means they paid the previous owner about half of that). It plays as easy as a 6 string electric with 10's on it! And it plays perfectly in tune up and down the neck.

I've always strung it with light gauge PB strings and I keep it at concert pitch. The neck/action have never moved away from perfection.

Keep your eyes open and you might strike paydirt like I did. This guitar goes to the grave with me.

I love this post! It’s like guitar treasure hunting. [emoji3]
Old 04-20-2024, 04:21 PM

I love strings, can hardly play them though. My hands cramp after a few minutes of playing most of the time. The only one that i was good with was a mid 90’s Taylor 800 series jumbo. Recently I’ve checked out thin body acoustics by Yamaha and Ibanez. They feel good and sound decent plugged in.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

You just described the fantasy I have every time I drive to a music store! Great looking guitar, too.

Dave, good luck in your recovery!
Old 04-22-2024, 03:43 PM

Default 12 String Guitar Advice

So I played some options:

Taylor 526: very chimey on the high end, easy to play. I think it would record really well. Not a lot of low end, even for a smallish guitar.

Martin HD12-28: liked everything about it but the prices they were asking new and used.

Custom HD12-28: Adirondack top. More headroom for sure. I liked it. This would take a few years to open up. When it does, it will be a monster. Not sure they used the same neck shape and spacing as the standard HD12-28. Cost is fair for what you get, but high.

Guild 1212: nice guitar. Plays decently well. Maybe not the sound in my head.

Martin DX12 new model: Good deep Martin sound. Missing tone due to the HPL back and sides. Doesn’t compete acoustically with the HD12-28

1974 Martin D12-35: sounded great. Neck was a pretzel.

1968 Martin D12-35: sounded even better. Work had been complete. Price was super high and for collectors. Regular people won’t pay that for a 12 string.

That’s what I was able to play. Left empty handed but better armed with information. I’ll keep looking around for other options, but I put a Yamaha LL-16-12 on order. Should be easy enough to return if needed. I’ll report back when I get that in hand to try.

I don’t make it up to try the Larrivee L-09 or L-03R. I think I’d be happy with either.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-22-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I bet you will like the Yamaha LL-16-12. I'll be interested to read about your experience.

- Glenn
Old 04-22-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I bet you will like the Yamaha LL-16-12. I'll be interested to read about your experience.

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn! Nothing sounds as good as the Guild F512 it is replacing. So, I don’t want to go hog wild immediately. One day the problem will solve itself and the universe will provide. [emoji23]
Old 04-22-2024, 08:49 PM

Additional guitar sorta played…

I went to guitar center to try out the Breedlove 6 string import guitars recommended here. I have to say, while I do not care for the headstock, or funky colors, they sounded really good. I would take a flyer on their 12 string. Since none is available locally, it would need to be a store that accepts returns.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion