The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Different strings on the Baritone...

D'Addario 80/20, .070 low , then a standard medium set for the rest: .056, .045, .035, .026, .017, putting aside the high E from the set.

Not much different that the Pearse strings that they replaced, except with a heavier l1st and 6th string, and 2nd string. I think that I like the slightly heavier gauge in A to A, and the next set on deck, a set of Pearse medium 80/20Baritones, replicates them except for the 2nd and 3rd being lighter. So far tonewise, I don't quite like the D'Adarios as much; not the same richness yet articulating to the note, or some such. We will see after they've been there for a week or so. I've also got a set of both Pearse and D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings, but don't expect to like them as much. They are both lighter, with the 6th being a .68. I've also got a set of both D'Addario EXP coated and Elixer Nano phosphor bronze, although I don't expect to like them as much as I'm generally not a fan of coated strings. (I use them, though, because of longevity. But when I want a guitar to shine, I don't.) I'm interested in the gauges, though, as the D'Adarios are .070, .060, .048, .029, .022 and .016, low to high, so the lower strings will be heavier than anything else that I've tried. Even if I don't care for the tone, the playability question might be interesting.

I also put a Pearse armrest on the Beneteau, which immediately made The Monster easier and more comfortable to hold and play. It was hard not to lay your arm across the top; the beast is so big. The armrest is doing a good job of keeping my arm up and off, while still providing a comfortable place for the arm.

Unfortunately the Jumbo armrest that I ordered did not fit the curve properly where I wanted to mount it; but one of the standard rests that I had did. Probably my printing or cutting job of the template more than anything else, but not I am going to have to get another armrest to remount on the Mac, which I had had removed while having some work done on it. Maybe the Jumbo will fit on the Webber SJ. So it goes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion