The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2023, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Straight up Strings Question

Hi folks,
I’m currently loving SOS strings on my J 50 and hence fixing to order a few sets. Do y’all by chance know a coupon code to knock a few bucks off. I’ve always ordered straight from Simonoff—I’m just wondering if y’all know a secret handshake.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-26-2023, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Default SUS

Hi, I’m a huge fan up Straight up Strings. I’ve been using them for a few years now. I always order directly from Rodger and we have a nice conversation each time. I get his newsletter which is always full of helpful advice. Rodger is an amazing guy that has invented different products for many companies. I haven’t seen any coupons, but they have some sales randomly throughout the year. And they always have the 6pac special. I like supporting this family owned small business. They’re made right in a small California coast town. Enjoy.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Joe. I’ll keep ordering straight from Rodger.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-26-2023, 05:53 PM

They’re great strings, but they don’t last very long. I ventured out to try Santa Cruz parabolic strings and they are my go to strings now. They’re a tad bright for the first few days but dang they sound just as good on day 100 as they do on day 3.

I am just now replacing the strings on my two Gibsons that I put Santa Cruz strings on in October / November.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
They’re great strings, but they don’t last very long. I ventured out to try Santa Cruz parabolic strings and they are my go to strings now. They’re a tad bright for the first few days but dang they sound just as good on day 100 as they do on day 3.

I am just now replacing the strings on my two Gibsons that I put Santa Cruz strings on in October / November.
I've been using SUS on my Lowden for over a year and I have the opposite experience - great longevity.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-26-2023, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I wish they sold through Amazon or something. I need a set of lights to try but balk at the $5.95 shipping added for one set. Yup, cheap....
Old 03-26-2023, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

As long as I don't play too aggressively, I think the strings sound great. The B and D strings of "Medium" set are too flimsy for my playing style. I might give the Heavy set a shot.

Though I have to say, when someone describes their strings as "A major paradigm shift in musical string design"...I just roll my eyes.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I've been using SUS on my Lowden for over a year and I have the opposite experience - great longevity.

I’m a fan, and I like SUS better than SCGC Parabolic. I find the SUS less bright after a couple days, while the Parabolics never seem to mellow my ears. The Parabolics also have a hot G, and read the same comment from a magazine review (might have been Fretboard Journal?). I found that interesting.

If you sign up for the newsletter you will get promo emails for 15% off a set during select holidays, or you can order a 6-pack direct for $58 and free shipping.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I’m a fan, and I like SUS better than SCGC Parabolic. I find the SUS less bright after a couple days, while the Parabolics never seem to mellow my ears. The Parabolics also have a hot G, and read the same comment from a magazine review (might have been Fretboard Journal?). I found that interesting.

If you sign up for the newsletter you will get promo emails for 15% off a set during select holidays, or you can order a 6-pack direct for $58 and free shipping.
Cool. I’m in.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion