The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Bridge plate pickups/tone

Alright, maybe a dumb question but I've searched the forum and didn't find anything on it.

How much, if any, effect does the bridge plate have on tone? And if it does affect tone does a pickup like a pure mini being superglued to it affect it further?

Some guitars
Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

The bridgeplate is important. But the pickups don't change anything. I use Schatten HFNs stuck to the underside of the bridge plate. No effective change I can tell.

But the bridge plate itself should be a nice piece of maple wood, in most cases. In the old Gibsons with and adjustable bridge they swapped out the maple for a hunk of plywood. THAT changes the tone. Many people remove the adjustable bridge. But to do a real great job, you should replace the plywood bridge plate. Then you've got a real acoustic guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion