The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Opinions on 1986 Gibsons

I'm looking at a 1986 Gibson jumbo at a great price. I know Henry bought Gibson in '85 but l'm not sure about how that affected the acoustic line. I've had some very nice '87 Gibson electrics but never any mid to late 80's acoustics. What's the general consensus on these?
Taylor GS 5.
Eastman E6 OM.
Eastman E6 D.
Bedell OH-12
Martin SPD-16TR.
Bedell JB 52-G.
Legend MJ-501.
Arvey SJ
Taylor GSRS.
Breedlove American C20 S
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 PM

I have played one '85 but never even seen a 1986 which is the year Henry J. and Berryman bought Gibson. As Bozeman was not yet part of the picture it would be a Nashville-built instrument. Story goes that a small group of employees decided pretty much on their own to try and resurrect the acoustic line. The guitars got their round shoulders back and the now infamous "double X" bracing was dumped. Not quite sure I would say the one I played sounded better than a Bozeman-made guitar but it was a vast improvement over anything Gibson had made since the later 1960s. Again though, this is an impression formed after playing one guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion