The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Default In praise of great setups

I got my J-45 standard back yesterday after a new nut, bone saddle and setup.

Prior to the setup I didn't like the action, as the nut was too low and the saddle too high for a comfortable action. Also, when playing a G open chord something on the E and A strings didn't quite sound right. The guitar still sounded great, but I knew it could be even better.

So observations post setup: The action is very comfortable now. Plays great all the way up the neck. The combination of the new nut and saddle has definitely changed the tone. Tough to describe, maybe a little mellower compared to the graphtek nut and plastic? saddle. All I know is it sounds and plays great now. The "funny" sound I got on the open G chord is gone. The luthier said all it needs now is to be played

On a side note, my Hummingbird seems to have a very fine split in the side. I was assured it is stable and nothing to worry about.

So all and all, a great way to start the weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion