The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Default Collings D2H or Bourgeois Vintage D

Hi Guys,

I was a regular here in the forum back in 2007 to 2012 but had a little time off and didn't log in again until just a few weeks ago.

This might have been asked previously but just wanted to take a quick poll.
I am torn between a Bourgeois Vintage D and a Collings D2H.
...OR do you have any other guitar suggestions that are in the same class or price range as these two guitars.

Thanks!

1997 Martin DM (Sitka Spruce/Mahogany)
2015 818e First Edition Taylor #1 of 100 (Sitka Spruce/EI Rosewood)
2004 Martin HD28V (Sitka Spruce/EI Rosewood)
2021 Gibson J-45 Custom (Adirondack Spruce/Mahogany)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 PM

following for opinions. Have recently been impressed with Bourgeois, especially their aged tone guitars.

I like the sound that torrefied spruces give (in terms of a depth,clarity and resonance of tone), but I dont particularly like the sound of 'old guitars'. The trebles on older martins and gibsons seem a little honky-tonky, and lack the brightness i crave.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Will you be able to play those two guitars before buying? I would say go with the one you like the most. You might also consider Santa Cruz and Huss & Dalton, although I like my D2H just fine.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Hey Blue,

Those are 2 great guitars. Although we are not a Collings Dealer, they are certainly among the top of the heap in terms of quality/tone. We are very particular to Bourgeois as you might expect. I personally think nobody does Aged Tone like Dana. I've played them all and he has mastered the art of the "broken in" aged guitar. And they aren't too hard to look at either Anyway, best of luck in your quest. If you decide on the Bourgeois let me know and we'll get you the AGF'er deal Take care, Brendan
Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 PM

I'm so biased towards Bourgeois dreads over Collings that I shouldn't be posting.

If it's a toss-up for you, than you like something about both guitars, so I wonder if a poll is going to help you.

For something with a different vibe from those two, try a few Santa Cruz dreads.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Since you asked for suggestions of other guitars in the range, I'd recommend Huss & Dalton. While I own and love Collings guitars and have never heard a Bourgeois I haven't thought was terrific, my favorite dreads are Huss and Daltons. They can be truly sensational.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM

I've owned both ( 5 different Collings, 3 different Bourgeois) along with Santa Cruz D/PW, Martin '37 D18A, 2 Altmans (A-D1 Quilted and A-D2 Coco), and now a Prewar D and custom Bourgeois AT Vintage D Brazilian. If you're talking about choosing between the Bourgeois or Collings, generally speaking, they sound different with the Bourgeois a little more toward the Martin side of the tonal spectrum. And, yes, the H&Ds are right up there with the Collings' and Bourgeois' IMHO. It just all depends on what your ears like.

Collings dreads kind of have their own tonal personality (strong mids) and don't sound like most other guitars in their price range. I really like how they sound. Their Traditional line are killer guitars and are going to sound more like vintage Martins.

It would be very helpful if you could try the Collings and Bourgeois guitars side by side. If it was going to be my only, or go to guitar, I slightly favor Bourgeois, but that's my ears. But put a Collings D2HA Traditional Baked Top in my hands and it's a stalemate.

Last edited by drbluegrass; 11-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Since you asked for suggestions of other guitars in the range, I'd recommend Huss & Dalton. While I own and love Collings guitars and have never heard a Bourgeois I haven't thought was terrific, my favorite dreads are Huss and Daltons. They can be truly sensational.
+1 Check out a Huss & Dalton TD-R if you have a chance. There is a used Huss & Dalton TD-M for sale right now in the AGF classifieds (I do not know the seller) but that has mahogany back & sides and it sounds like you're after a rosewood dread.

In any case, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these makers.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Having owned a Collings D2H for a decade, and currently own a Bourgeois AT Mahogany D. I can say with certainty that they're both remarkably fine instruments. Of course each has its own signature tone, but they also have very different neck profiles (my D2H had a custom 1 3/4" nut width and modified V profile). In fact, I sold my D2H because its chunky neck became too difficult and painful for me to manage as the arthritis in my hands and wrists progressed with age. The Bourgeois, which replaced the Collings has a 1 23/32" nut width and a much slimmer neck profile, and has been a great fit for my aging hands.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Two great guitars!!

I have limited experience with Bourgeois dreads. But my it is my impression that the Collings would cut through the mix a bit better. The Bourgeois neck is pretty nice to play.

I’m sure you could find a nice Martin dread in that price range.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I really like the D2H...a lot!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
I really like the D2H...a lot!
Me too, it's my favorite guitar so far. But I have a CJ35 German Spruce on its way to me right now. I suspect I may like that one even better, but it'll be close.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
Me too, it's my favorite guitar so far. But I have a CJ35 German Spruce on its way to me right now. I suspect I may like that one even better, but it'll be close.
I owned a Collings CJ mahogany burst and loved it. It's definitely one of those..."I wish I hadn't sold it"...guitars. If I had the cash right now I'd have another in a heartbeat. I'm bettin' you'll love yours too.

Last edited by drbluegrass; 11-03-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 PM

Thank you all for the reply!
Can't help but to feel special here at AGF.
I posted the question a few hours ago and when I came home to check if I had gotten some replies...
Voila! Some really nice and informative insights provided.

I found a place near me that carries a Collings D2H for me to try but have not found one yet that has the Bourgeois.
Will definitely add the Santa Cruz and Huss and Dalton dreads on this quest.

Thanks again all!

1997 Martin DM (Sitka Spruce/Mahogany)
2015 818e First Edition Taylor #1 of 100 (Sitka Spruce/EI Rosewood)
2004 Martin HD28V (Sitka Spruce/EI Rosewood)
2021 Gibson J-45 Custom (Adirondack Spruce/Mahogany)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Not quite the same, but I currently have a Collings D1 and a Bourgeois Vintage D and I prefer the Bourgeois slightly. Tough call, though. Bourgeois sounds a bit sweeter, but the Collings is a cannon. Sounds huge. Notes jump right out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion