The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 04:41 AM

Default PSA: Johnson City Guitar Center

I frequent the Johnson City, Tn Guitar Center all the time. The acoustic room usually has a few guitars that I enjoy playing and occasionally I might take one home.

I think right now they have the best guitar inventory I've ever played. Not based on model, but based on tone.

I could wax on about all these acoustics, but I'll just tell you the ones I really enjoyed playing:

Martin D-16 Special - if you closed your eyes, you could hear an HD-28. No kidding. I would buy it if I didn't have so many bass-heavy acoustics already.

Several Yamaha's: FSX3 (excellent) and two transacoustics of some kind. One sounds better than the other. I really enjoyed them. They all played like butter.

It appears I am waxing after all!

Several Martin 000-15M models and a D-15M. Very resonant guitars. I ended up taking one of the 000's home with me.

AMI GWCE-3 - biggest surprise of the bunch. Has to be the best AMI guitar I've ever played.

Gibson L-00 - insane midrange!

Several Taylor AD series. They were all good. Bought the all-mahogany one (fave of the day)!

I played many more that I liked. Most of these are in the affordable category, and I just wanted to let anyone in my region know. I have no connection with them. It's just rare to pick up so many above average guitars in an acoustic room! Someone go buy that Martin 16 Special or the AMI guitar so I don't have to!

I must say, the future of factory acoustics is in good hands based on my experience yesterday.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
I frequent the Johnson City, Tn Guitar Center all the time. The acoustic room usually has a few guitars that I enjoy playing and occasionally I might take one home...
Howdy neighbor!

JC's GC is my local as well. I try to support the independents (I like Morell's in Bristol and Campbell's Morell music in downtown JC), but do run into GC when I've got time to kill. Haven't bought any guitars there, but have bought an amp, a mic, strings, picks, etc.

Glad you had a good time and got a new guitar.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I would really like to get my hands on some of the new red label Yamahas. I may ride up to GC in Athens this weekend and see if they have any in stock.

I’ve never been to the Johnson City GC, but I highly recommend the Music Outlet in Sevierville. That place is loaded with great guitars.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Howdy neighbor!

JC's GC is my local as well. I try to support the independents (I like Morell's in Bristol and Campbell's Morell music in downtown JC), but do run into GC when I've got time to kill. Haven't bought any guitars there, but have bought an amp, a mic, strings, picks, etc.

Glad you had a good time and got a new guitar.
Nice to meet you! Yes, we frequent the same places. I also am good friends with the guys from Morrell’s in Kingsport. They treat people really well. Actually, I was very impressed with the young kid (manager, perhaps) at the GC. Very helpful and friendly. Not always the case with my GC experiences.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I would really like to get my hands on some of the new red label Yamahas. I may ride up to GC in Athens this weekend and see if they have any in stock.

I’ve never been to the Johnson City GC, but I highly recommend the Music Outlet in Sevierville. That place is loaded with great guitars.
Music Outlet is my favorite store in east TN. A little slice of heaven is not an overstatement
Old 04-19-2024, 07:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Music Outlet is my favorite store in east TN. A little slice of heaven is not an overstatement
Yep. Picked up my OM-28 there. Here it is on their wall:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

My personal favorite store is Campbell's Music in JC. I actually worked there back in the 80's (I still kid Dave the owner that I never did officially quit so I'm still an employee). It's a great store, but that being said I do shop at the JC Guitar Center quite a bit and have bought quite a bit there. The staff is really good to work with and the selection can be very good at times. BTW that AD27e Flametop hanging on the used wall used to be mine and it's a dang nice guitar if you like a dread size instrument.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-19-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I found it simply driving by while on vacation in Pigeon Forge a few years ago. It is now my #1 destination when I’m up there. It really is amazing. The owner is a very friendly gentleman too.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
I knew I had arrived at my destination the first time I walked in there and saw that wall of Martins. I still dream about a 0-18 I played in there and did not buy. I played it, went back the next day and played it again, and left for home still thinking about it. These days I know better than to let one slip away like that.

That OM-28 is a beauty!
Old 04-19-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
BTW that AD27e Flametop hanging on the used wall used to be mine and it's a dang nice guitar if you like a dread size instrument.
It's one of the guitar's I enjoyed playing, Mick. "Dang nice" is right. I ended up grabbing the other AD27 without the electronics. Something about the individual notes of the midrange and trebles being very "round" sounding to my ears when plucked with bare fingers. First Taylor (besides a GS mini) in a long time! And surprisingly light, which is always a nice bonus.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's one of the guitar's I enjoyed playing, Mick. "Dang nice" is right. I ended up grabbing the other AD27 without the electronics. Something about the individual notes of the midrange and trebles being very "round" sounding to my ears when plucked with bare fingers. First Taylor (besides a GS mini) in a long time! And surprisingly light, which is always a nice bonus.
Mine sounded and played really good, but I have an issue working a large body guitar against my growing belly. If I could only find an arm stretcher I'd be good to go!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-19-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
Beautiful guitar, Bob. Music Outlet IS the place for Martin shopping, IMO.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Two new beautiful all hog guitars… well done! I love both of those models.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I knew I had arrived at my destination the first time I walked in there and saw that wall of Martins. I still dream about a 0-18 I played in there and did not buy. I played it, went back the next day and played it again, and left for home still thinking about it. These days I know better than to let one slip away like that.

That OM-28 is a beauty!
I went looking for a 00-18 last time, and I was bummed they didn't have one. Definitely wanna head back down there one day soon.

Missed your Red Label comment. I think they are great guitars IF you like that "shimmery" sound in an acoustic. Great resonance and balance, too. Definitely check them out. Don't think I've played a bad one in the last few years. My local shop is getting two FG9's in soon. The owner told me that only 50 are destined for the entire US in 2024! He's been waiting roughly 8 months for his two. I'm eager to play the mahogany one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion